LegacyGT.com

What is the best radar on the market?

legacyboy8929

I am running the Bel RX65 and it works GREAT! Low falses and great range.

That was my first choice but you can only buy it on the web so I went to Circuit City and bought the X50. They are identical anyway.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My Valentine 1 has saved my behind on several occasions (it's definitely more than paid for itself), but the important thing is to not rely on it too much. It's great if you know the cops in your area tend to cruise with their radar on, rather than hiding out and zapping you with instant-on or laser. Whatever you wind up getting, slow down for the first few weeks/month until you get a feel for how the cops in your area use their radar - even those gorgeous arrows don't help if you don't have any warning...

That said, I haven't tried the V1 side-by-side with a Passport; I've heard good reviews, but...I like to know where my nemesis is...

sorry...this forum practically blows goat nuts so im not always on here.
Team Pony Express

POSTED FROM MY COMPUTER USING A WEB BROWSER

My V1 paid for itself the first road trip I had it.

Driving north on I-5 in the central valley of California, I was going around 105 in my WRX, nearing the crest of a hill, my V1 went off on the KA band. I immediately slowed and crested the hill doing 75 or so (70 mph speed limit). In the center divider sat a CHP officer facing my direction. As I drove down the slope towards him, the Lexus I had recently passed crested the hill. I'm not sure what speed he was going, but I do know that as he passed the CHP officer, the officer did a U-turn and nailed him.

I figure just on the fine alone for 105 in a 70 would have been more than the cost of my V1, so the rest is gravy.

A couple of side notes, there was one of those speed 'sign boards' that tell you what your speed is right by my work. I'm not sure what technology it was using, but in 10 times by it, I only got a tiny blip of KA band radar once. Every other time I got nothing from it. Also, some of those cars (MBZ, BMW, the new JDM Legacy) that have the active cruise control set off the laser or radar on mine when they're behind me. It's really pretty annoying!

Still, I wouldn't trade it for anything. I had it hardwired in my WRX with the remote reader. I have yet to get it set up in the Spec.B, but hope to before this weekend when my wife and I take a road trip to Pismo Beach.

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's great if you know the cops in your area tend to cruise with their radar on, rather than hiding out and zapping you with instant-on or laser. Whatever you wind up getting, slow down for the first few weeks/month until you get a feel for how the cops in your area use their radar .

Well said!

Two months ago, I asked this same question. Which is best? It seems like half the world swears by V1 and the other half swears by the Passport 8500 X50. So instead of reading for hours and getting the same 50/50 response, I took the test. I purchased the X50 and V1 from their factories directly. I tested them both and actually sent the other back 30 minutes later. That was how big the difference was. One was much more sensative, but also gave me 4-5 seconds faster detection on Ka band (what my county uses).

So which one was better? I'm not going to say. Because if I do, the next person will probably say the opposite, as it is a world of alternatives. In conclusion, test them both, and find which one works better for you. Return the loser within 30 days and get a no-questions asked refund.

enough zip ties and duct tape will fix anything.

I've had a V1 for a long time and it works very well. You don't say where you drive to but remember in DC and VA, just having one one in the car is illegal. So you want to also consider the detectability of the detector by the police VR2.

Worthless if the cop is using instant on radar, then your radar detector is just a warning that your a$$ just got nailed :D

You should have time to slow down if your detector picks up the instant-on radar being used in an area before you get there (if your lucky)!

You should have time to slow down if your detector picks up the instant-on radar being used in an area before you get there (if your lucky)!

Instant-on (POP) is less accurate and it cannot be used as "proof" when the cop writes the ticket. He has to follow up his POP burst with a "lock". You should have time to slow down.

In reality, you'll probably get the ticket anyway and have to fight it...

something u might want to keep in mind...

in the last 3.5 years, while using regular passport8500 (not x50), i've gotten

2 speeding tickets from instant-on, 1 warning from laser,

and 1 speeding ticket+2mo suspension from aeroplane detecting my speed :)

whichever one u choose, be careful, they aren't 100%...

Jammers are useless (passive jammers - also the only ones commercially available) or illegal (active jammers.) On a passive jammer, it's impossible for the horn of the jammer to put out a radio reflection bigger than the vehicle you're in. They generally only work in a lab setting where they're the biggest object in front of the radar.

Active jammers will get you into BIG trouble....if the cop realizes what it is.

I wouldn't waste my money on one.

When Chuck Norris was born, the only person who cried was the doctor. Never slap Chuck Norris. - E.J.S.

Archived