LegacyGT.com

What AWD will and will not do.

As more and more car companies come out with their own approach to "all wheel drive", very few have impressed me in comparison to Subaru's various systems. My least favorite is the ever-popular "FWD 'till you need AWD" version....a totally reactive system. I know this meets the needs of the masses, but I've always hated the handling of FWD cars--especially in slippery conditions. And the more I read about some of the more complex systems out there, like Skyline GTR's, Infiniti's and some of the others....

Cheers,

Tim G.

Actually, in Infiniti's case, it is "RWD till you need AWD"...but perhaps that is what you meant.

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[ There's nothing to prevent Subarus with open front diffs from doing the same.

Except a good driver, which a robot has yet to replace. As for manufaturers why do the advertise handling kits and ABS when it should be standard, or tyres that are better than RE92's.? The average driver who is a dickhead, which comprises (93%) of the population and obviously includes you, needs these extra's as standard to bring you (just) into the barely acceptable bracket

I can't imagine why a manufacturer would design a control system that waited so long to engage.

I agree:icon_conf

I like being able to accellerate hard out of corners (while stopped). This is something my previous car would not do - the tires would simply jump and I would go nowhere.

Also wet weather accelleration is very welcome - again my previous car would just make all kinds of scraping noise... I once (in a light rain) got it up to 4th gear spinning the tires all the way - speedometer said I was doing 70 MPH but I was really only doing about 25.

EDIT:

maybe someone will get some use out of this video:

http://video.google.ca/videoplay?docid=-4999142340359932162

at least it shows you awd in action

That video is pretty biased. Starting at 5:13 it does the "Who is really in control" section - when the Highlander is compared with the Tribeca, the driver doesn't make nearly as wide turns with the Tribeca as he does with the Highlander.

EDIT 2: The hill climb is a good demo though.

Actually, in Infiniti's case, it is "RWD till you need AWD"...but perhaps that is what you meant.

Thanks for calling me on this...I should've separated the two thoughts.

As someone who outright hates FWD, I'd gladly take a "RWD till you need AWD" system, albeit not nearly as beneficial as the 5MT's full-time 50/50 split in certain situations.

Hope that clarifies my comment :D

Tim G.

good looking out...this is my first winter with AWD and i am enjoying it. its not invincable or anything, ice is ice. nothing less than studded tires can get traction. but it does very well in slippery fresh snow conditions. we got snow last week and ice mixed in and there were cars sliding all around. with some common sense and AWD its a great combo. i had to stop on a hill for some idiot who forgot he had a neon and cant floor it going up a hill. the car got traction and went and i saw like 4 people behind me sliding around tying to go. i was extremely impressed. and as far as the re92's sucking...i guess i just dont get enough snow to really see. i dont mind them. of course i wouldnt mind to try a set of nokian wr's :icon_bigg just my 2cents.

Archived