LegacyGT.com

Spec.B plans

Ok, just thought I'd bounce this shopping and to do list off people here for some feedback.

Depending on negotiations on Saturday, I may well end up with an 07 Spec.B

DIY Mods

Once I get it home, what should I do, and in what order? I'm considering debadging the rear. As cool as the Spec.B is, just the stars badge does look very clean.

I'll probably do the headlights (remove the orange) - I did this to my WRX & it looks sooo much better. In fact, I have an extra set of the turn signal bulbs that are silvered out, but blink orange. If it's the same bulb as the WRX, I'm in business there.

Definitely disabling the daytime running lights. I read the write up on it - a hell of a lot more work than the WRX...

I don't have much interest in a back up camera, but who knows...

I might get the OEM sub and install it on the passenger side.

I'd love to get the navigation to work while driving, but I guess that isn't an option yet.

So, any other free DIY mods to do right away?

Now, on to the shopping list. This is pretty much in order of priority for me.

1) STi front lip. From RalliTek. I really like the way they look, both on the Legacy and STi Limited.

2) Tein Flex w/EDFC. The thread I read on here has some testimonials that they work good in wifey mode, but will also be reasonable on the track.

3) Autospeed Turboback. Looks quality, sounds nice in their clip, GREAT price. I had thought about the Perrin too, but am leaning towards the Autospeed. Can anyone confirm if this clears the 6MT with no problems? I'm thinking it should, but it can't hurt to make sure!

4) JDM Exhaust Garnish. Yeah, don't really need it, but it looks good & would help protect the bumper from the pretty Autospeed tips!

5) AVO suspension kit from RalliTek. Seems like a good package. Not sure about the NVH changes from the caster kit. I have a Whiteline ALK for my WRX & probably wouldn't do that again. I'm thinking the front sway bar isn't a big deal, as I really don't need to dial in understeer...

6) Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings. I haven't seen any posts commenting on the stock bushings, but I know the 02 WRX bushings sucked ass. They were my second mod on that car, after wheels & tires!

7) Kartboy STi 6MT short shifter w/bushings. I'm assuming that the Spec.B will use the same short shifter as an STi, not a 5MT LGT. Can anyone confirm this?

8) STi Brembo kit, front & rear. From FastWRX.com. Again, this is pending confirmation on fitment issues. Do the rears actually go on with little or no problem? Any changes needed to the parking brake? Do the 18" Spec.B wheels clear without a spacer? Do they clear with a small (no more than 5mm) spacer?

(This is the end of my intial wishlist. The remaining parts need to wait until Cobb makes the AccessPort compatible with the 07's)

9) PDE Flex Uppipe. This is assuming the Spec.B also has a cat in the uppipe.

10) Perrin TMIC, Perrin Turbo Inlet Pipe, AEM cold air intake. More breathing once I can tune for it.

11) Cobb AccessPort. Once it's set for the 07's.

Okay, that's about it! I don't know what kind of horsepower this will produce, but I'm not intersted in huge horsepower, hence the plan to stick with the stock turbo. I figure addressing the handling and braking, plus a decent bump in HP will make the car a nice, understated sleeper that can pull a bit of fun at the track.

Comments/Suggestions?

Oh, one more question. I have a second set of 17x7.5 Rota Attacks w/235/40/17 RA1's that I've used for the track. I'm pretty sure these will clear STi Brembos on a WRX (I have a huge clearance on my current TWR Racing front brakes), but wonder if anyone can confirm that these will work on the Spec.B? Am I looking at any possible rubbing issues with the 235's?

Thanks!

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well, 50 views, no one has any feedback or other suggestions on these plans?

2013 S4 - Glacier White - DSG - B&O - Tech Package - Sports Diff - Napa - RS4 Grille - Stasis Exhaust - APR Intake - KW Variant 1 - Stern Control Arms - CR-15 - Stasis RSB - Moog Endlinks - PC Hyper Black Peelers - Deval Front Lip - ECS Rear Diffuser - Carbon Imports Ducktail - ECS Mirror Caps - Relak Paddle Extensions - Autostyle Floor Mats - LED Interior - V1 - Blackvue DR900s -

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

1) STi front lip. From RalliTek. I really like the way they look, both on the Legacy and STi Limited.

2) Tein Flex w/EDFC. The thread I read on here has some testimonials that they work good in wifey mode, but will also be reasonable on the track.

3) Autospeed Turboback. Looks quality, sounds nice in their clip, GREAT price. I had thought about the Perrin too, but am leaning towards the Autospeed. Can anyone confirm if this clears the 6MT with no problems? I'm thinking it should, but it can't hurt to make sure!

4) JDM Exhaust Garnish. Yeah, don't really need it, but it looks good & would help protect the bumper from the pretty Autospeed tips!

5) AVO suspension kit from RalliTek. Seems like a good package. Not sure about the NVH changes from the caster kit. I have a Whiteline ALK for my WRX & probably wouldn't do that again. I'm thinking the front sway bar isn't a big deal, as I really don't need to dial in understeer...

6) Whiteline Steering Rack Bushings. I haven't seen any posts commenting on the stock bushings, but I know the 02 WRX bushings sucked ass. They were my second mod on that car, after wheels & tires!

7) Kartboy STi 6MT short shifter w/bushings. I'm assuming that the Spec.B will use the same short shifter as an STi, not a 5MT LGT. Can anyone confirm this?

8) STi Brembo kit, front & rear. From FastWRX.com. Again, this is pending confirmation on fitment issues. Do the rears actually go on with little or no problem? Any changes needed to the parking brake? Do the 18" Spec.B wheels clear without a spacer? Do they clear with a small (no more than 5mm) spacer?

(This is the end of my intial wishlist. The remaining parts need to wait until Cobb makes the AccessPort compatible with the 07's)

10) Perrin TMIC, Perrin Turbo Inlet Pipe, AEM cold air intake. More breathing once I can tune for it.

1. No, thats a bad idea, i have an JDM Sti lip on my USDM bumper and it is NOT a good fit, it was designed for tthe JDM bumper and takes a little work to fit it on. Get the RBS front lip instead which is designed for the US bumper and looks the same.

6. steering rack bushings are up to you, the steering in a stock LGT is a hell of a lot better than stock WRX, in fact i think its the same steering rack as the USDM Sti, so the steering is tighter lock to lock.

7. NO, DO NOT GET THIS, theres a thread where someone else bought the Sti 6MT kartboy short shifter and it doesnt fit exactly right and the reverse lockout cable is too long for the Sti shorter shifter for some reason, so you lose function of your reverse lockout. I bought one and read the thread before installing it and promptly sold it, kartboy is working on the issue but they haven't released one yet for 6MT legacies.

8. unclear that stock 18" wheels will clear the Sti brembos, they are 7" wide wheels, pretty narrow and its confirmed that the stock LGT 17" wheels which are also 7" wide do NOT clear the Sti brembos. plus installing the rear sti 2 pot brembos takes a lot of work, it is not a simple swap like the front 4 pots are.

it is recommended you get 8" wide aftermarket wheels so there are no clearance issues with any BBK you might purchase

9. all the 07 LGTs have catless uppipes like the 06 WRXs, do NOT waste your money on an aftermarket catless uppipe.

Ed

Great info edkwon, thank you!

Good to hear about the steering rack bushings and the uppipe, neither install was much fun on the WRX. I guess for a short shifter, I'll try to find the elusive Spec.B STi part. Found it listed in a couple of places, but don't know if it's actually orderable or not. Also, I guess I was hoping to save some $$$ by staying with the stock wheels, which look decent, but I guess that ain't happening. The guys at SubyDude did just tell me that the Boost will be coming out in an 18" version soon, so maybe that, Tarmac3's or Torques... On the rear Brembo's, I'm not terribly worries about in install. I've got a fair bit of experience working on various cars, so unless it's requiring welding, I shouldn't have too many problems.

One question in reply:

1) Can you post a link to the source for the RBS lips? I'm hoping they're ABS rather than fiberglas, but will check them out.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Where are you located??? (I ask this because I want to make sure no one is thinking about buying my '07 Spec B which is still sitting at the dealership and if anyone is thinking about buying it, I have to talk them outta it :lol:)

JDM'd All to hell

:cool:

Thanks Jimmy @ Hkc-Speed.com!

RIP Coxx & Thanks

Lol, I'm located within 50 miles of 4 Spec.B's in dealership lots, so I don't think we're in the same area.

Plus, it doesn't snow where I am, so based on your avatar, I don't think we're competing for the same car :lol:

But, I'm in the LA area...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Great info edkwon, thank you!

One question in reply:

1) Can you post a link to the source for the RBS lips? I'm hoping they're ABS rather than fiberglas, but will check them out.

I dont know the link for the RBS front lips, but its in the vendor classified forums im sure.

plus another DIY mod you can do is the navigation hack to playback video while driving thru the video input in the back of the nav unit

very easy to do: http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52355

Ed

Ok, just thought I'd bounce this shopping and to do list off people here for some feedback.

Depending on negotiations on Saturday, I may well end up with an 07 Spec.B

DIY Mods

Once I get it home, what should I do, and in what order? I'm considering debadging the rear. As cool as the Spec.B is, just the stars badge does look very clean.

I'll probably do the headlights (remove the orange) - I did this to my WRX & it looks sooo much better. In fact, I have an extra set of the turn signal bulbs that are silvered out, but blink orange. If it's the same bulb as the WRX, I'm in business there.

Definitely disabling the daytime running lights. I read the write up on it - a hell of a lot more work than the WRX...

I don't have much interest in a back up camera, but who knows...

I might get the OEM sub and install it on the passenger side.

I'd love to get the navigation to work while driving, but I guess that isn't an option yet.

So, any other free DIY mods to do right away?

11) Cobb AccessPort. Once it's set for the 07's.

Okay, that's about it! I don't know what kind of horsepower this will produce, but I'm not intersted in huge horsepower, hence the plan to stick with the stock turbo. I figure addressing the handling and braking, plus a decent bump in HP will make the car a nice, understated sleeper that can pull a bit of fun at the track.

Comments/Suggestions?

Oh, one more question. I have a second set of 17x7.5 Rota Attacks w/235/40/17 RA1's that I've used for the track. I'm pretty sure these will clear STi Brembos on a WRX (I have a huge clearance on my current TWR Racing front brakes), but wonder if anyone can confirm that these will work on the Spec.B? Am I looking at any possible rubbing issues with the 235's?

Thanks!

Don't forget the intake silencer delete. It's easy, quick, and reversable. You may or may not like the increased intake sound. It's not as bad as a dedicated CAI.

The key on the DRL disable with the 07s is to find the right wire and pull the pin, rather than cut the wire. Get a couple of small screwdrivers in there, and it's not too bad. This makes it much more easily reversable.

Don't underestimate the Hawgzaust mod. I'm gonna give it a try when I go under the rear to install my AVO RSB. I'll be taking off the cans, so I might as well give it a try.

Clearing the front turn signals looks great on a spec.B. At some point I'll be doing that mod.

Why are you going with coilovers when you bought the spec.B? Seems like a waste, to me. Springs, I'd understand, but you won't get the value out of the bilsteins if you sell them.

As for the CAI, it's completely unnecessary on the stock turbo. The stock airbox flows a'plenty. And you might want to research the fit on the Perrin TMIC. Looks like you have some money to spend, and the AVO seems to have better reviews for ease of fit.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Thanks Trout!

Couple of interesting things to consider there...

I'll have to search on the silencer delete mod. First I've heard of it & I actually enjoy the sound that my Injen makes on my WRX currently, so it'd be nice to hear the Spec.B spooling up a bit better.

I had definitely planned on removing the pin from the connector rather than cutting it. I never cut wires unless I have to! I have tool 'o plenty to be had, including a nice set of jewlers screwdrivers, which have been perfect for this kind of job in the past.

Hawgzaust mod? Hmm, first I hear that one. Guess I'll have to do another search!

Well, I'm leaning towards the Flex because of the EDFC & being able to adjust it on the fly with a minimum of hassle. I don't mind stiff suspension. Hell, I had JIC Magics on my WRX. However my wife (then girlfriend) hated riding in my car and commented that she needed a sports bra to do so without pain. Not good! I currently have 04 STi takeoff struts with the JDM STi pink springs, which are pretty good, but still harsh at times. Granted, I have my suspicions that the harshness is due in large part to my Whiteline Sport ALK, but the wifey factor is a good selling point on the Flexes. And, no matter how good the spring/strut combo is, it's my (current) belief that the coilovers will outperform them on the track, which I get to 5-10 days per year. Plus, they lower the back more than I'd like. Which comes into play when I have to pick up 12 cases of 1/2 liter bottles of water from Costco for work. Put those in my WRX and suddenly I'm tucking the rear wheels just a bit.

On the CAI, I'd been leaning towards that partly due to the fact that I've gotten so used to the sound of my Injen for my WRX. As I said earlier, I enjoy hearing the turbo spool up and will miss it with the stock Spec.B. But I'll try the silencer delete and see how that does before I make any decision on the intake. After all, I won't do the intake until there's an AccessPort option for the Spec.B, so it'll be a few months in all likleyhood.

Lastly, I had checked out the AVO and Perrin TMIC's, and thought that the Perrin looked slightly smaller, therefore I figured it'd be an easier fit. If that's not the case, I'll spend the extra $50 or whatever to get the AVO!

Thanks again for the great replies and keep 'em coming!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Well...... I bought it. :)

I offered 5% over invoice and they accepted. Maybe I should've offered less, but I'd read that 4-7% over invoice is good. I guess I should feel decent that I paid about $500 less than what Edmunds.com said others in my area paid.

On top of that, the dealer charged me straight invoice on the remaining options I wanted and gave me a very good deal on the extended warranty & LoJack.

Now the real fun begins :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Congrats on the new ride!!!

As for the front lip: yes, the recommended RBS lip is fiberglass, not ABS, unfortunately. But on the plus side it is designed to fit our bumper.

Happy modding!

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Archived