LegacyGT.com

TEIN Flex with EDFC for '05 Legacy

axis008

I know there's another thread about TEIN, but it's about their springs. I emailed TEIN inquiring about their coilover suspension (particularly those with the EDFC option) and got this response: [quote] [font=Arial][size=2]Benjamin,[/size][/font] [font=Arial][size=2] Hello and thank you for your interest in TEIN High Performance Suspension. The new legacy products in Japan will be compatible and it is compatible with EDFC. The kit in Japan is Type Flex and it lists for $1560.00. Unfortunately it will require pre-payment and will take 2-3 months for arrival by Ocean freight. If you have any other questions feel free to contact us.[/size][/font] Best regards, Sales Staff @ TEIN USA INC. 9798 Firestone Blvd. Downey, CA 90241 Phone: (562)861-9161 Fax: (562)861-9171 [url="http://www.tein.com/"][color=#003399]www.tein.com[/color][/url] [/quote]I don't know, however, if they are planning to introduce anything for the Legacy at SEMA. The demand, as I'm told, isn't that high right now. I hope this email helps you members out there. I know when I get my car I'm definitely getting my hands on a set of those.
-ben

Nevertheless, it's available.. and since there's a TEIN USA, I am sure they will bring some over.. I dont see why not.. although, I would be more careful about putting stuff in the trunk cuz there is no real protection for the EDFC.. well, you'll see what I mean when you find out where the location of the rear strut top is and the exposure it has against things sliding around in the trunk. Tein Flex are pretty decent for what they are, but it seems on the valves, they tend to get warn out quickly if they are drop too low from their specs.. just read their manuals (if you can from the Japanese) and adjust them accordingly, I have dealt with them on WRX and 240SX models, but I am not SUPER impressed as I was with the ZEALS. Performance wise, it's a still a street-based coilover unit. Keefe
Keefe

Thanks for the heads up, Keefe. :) I like the Flex model only because of the EDFC thing. My friend has it on his Prelude and he didn't have it and when we'd do some spirited driving, he'd have to get out and adjust all four sides. The Flex model seems like a very nice all-around model, so it seems to suit my needs well. Hopefully when I get my car I can find a way to protect the rear strut EDFC's from moving objects.
-ben

You'll rarely findiing yourself actually adjusting it.. unless you find yourself going on and off bumpy roads.. the EDFC should only be adjusted when the car is at a full stop.. otherwise, you will blow out the seals and valves during driving. Another thing that I decided not to mess with the EDFC is that the EDFC is only compatiable with the FLEX and Super Street models.. for my taste, it wasnt enough rebound and dampening even for spirited driving.. this has been true for me on my brother's WRX and Friends 240SX when I drove it.. mid-corner bumps were a bit unsettling at times.. (while my WRX had HKS HiperMax II Coilovers).. the good thing is that those two model line ups do offer 2-way adjustable for a very low and decent price. Take your time adjusting the coilovers if or when you do get them.. some people mistakenly pre-load the spring to raise the ride height which is incorrect on a 2-way adjustable coilover. If you need any tips/ideas/setups or some help, just let me know. Keefe
Keefe

Thanks Keefe, I'll keep that in mind. Although I know you are giving me valuable advice, I am stubborn and probably still will get the TEIN's. :p The EDFC is one of those "gotta-have" things on my list. I have a friend who can get me a good deal because of his sponsorship (hopefully he can for the Legacy ones as well), but if that doesn't go well then I'll definitely get back to you. Thanks for all your help. :)
-ben

[quote name='Th3Franz']I'm trying to learn more about coilovers and suspension in general. What does the EDFC mean and do? Thanks.[/QUOTE] EDFC refers to Electronic Daming Force Controller. It is designed to compliment Tein Adjustables (mounted onto the damping adjustment nipple on the shocks) so driver can make adjustments in the corkpit with precision. EA

[quote name='axis008']Thanks Keefe, I'll keep that in mind. Although I know you are giving me valuable advice, I am stubborn and probably still will get the TEIN's. :p The EDFC is one of those "gotta-have" things on my list. I have a friend who can get me a good deal because of his sponsorship (hopefully he can for the Legacy ones as well), but if that doesn't go well then I'll definitely get back to you. Thanks for all your help. :)[/QUOTE] Not a problem.. for what it is, it has a very economical and pretty effective setup for what you want. The EDFC is a definite bling thing as well.. I just wanted you to know of what your intentions for the car's final goal/result to be. Some people buy stuff that just gotta have (like the BIGGEST turbo they can get their hands on) but they go out and drive it and short shift it at every gear cuz it's it's not for race use or worse yet, complain how the car drives like crap). I have had talk to a lot of new guys that are into modding their own cars, but not new to the car seen. I like call these people "just getting their OWN feet wet, and not watching other people's feet getting wet." Good luck on getting them for a good price. I am sure you'll like them. Keefe
Keefe

The thing is, from watching the race car drivers and their teams, having a certain amount of flexibility is a good thing when it comes down to getting your setup right - initially. But after that, they tend to stick with just one setting. Consistancy is the key to getting the best from your car, and if you keep changing your settings, you will never get fully settled into what your car does. This is the same reason that race teams tend to remove DCCD and other electronic diff systems from their STi's or Evo's and replace them with dead simple, solid, and predictable mechanical differentials. Cheers, Paul Hansen [url]www.avoturboworld.com[/url] [url]www.apexjapan.com[/url]

The only time when a race team decide to keep such things are for changes from qualifying laps set up to actual race day setups if the weather changes.. but normally, a good race team takes all the data and log it in so that they know what set up to run on that particular track... Keefe
Keefe

Subaru is oushing the GT like they did the wrx when it first came out (in the states anyway) so they may be pushing for legacy products at sema to show what can be done to help sell more cars. of corse there inst a high demand for parts yet how many have you seen on the road? get some sick rims and body kits on the market, along with some performance parts and the sales will go up, maybe enough to get the B4 or an sti version out in the states. that last part may be wishsul thinking.

Archived