LegacyGT.com

Transmission Fluid Flush?

I am at about 45K, and I figured it would be a good time to get a transmission service during my next oil change appointment. They quoted me $200 just for the transmission service, but tried to justify it by telling me that it is a complete flush, not just a filter replacement and top-off.

My question is, should I go for the $200 Subaru Dealer service, or the $70 Jiffy Lube service?

Is replacing all of the fluid essential?

I am at about 45K, and I figured it would be a good time to get a transmission service during my next oil change appointment. They quoted me $200 just for the transmission service, but tried to justify it by telling me that it is a complete flush, not just a filter replacement and top-off.

My question is, should I go for the $200 Subaru Dealer service, or the $70 Jiffy Lube service?

Flush is BS. Clean the screens, replace the filters. Have the dealer do it sans flush. Don't trust Jiffy lube. EVER!

"Belief does not make truth. Evidence makes truth. And belief does not make evidence."

I was discussing this with my service advisor yesterday. All you really NEED to do is drain and fill on the newer transmissions. The filter is actually built to last for ~80-100K miles. This is the dealership that told me this. You'd think they would want to upsell you as much as possible. The service advisor is a good friend of mine though.

Short: Just get a drain and fill. Coming from an experienced Subaru tech/service advisor who is an enthusiast.

the only main benefit of a total fluid flush is the removal of torque converter fluid...

most cars do not have a plug in the converter, so when you drop the pan, you can't change the fluid in the converter also....

it is best to change all of it, but independent facilites, other than scary lube, will usually have a flush machine---wynns, b.g. etc.

200. is a little high, we charge 160.00......fwiw....

Yes on the last question. My recommendation is to always get the tranny flushed about 5-10k before the warranty is up. The reason is if you have previously "cooked" your fluid, flushing it may result in the tranny going. Doing it this early before warranty means the dealer will be buying you a new tranny if it is the case. And, $200 is about right for a dealer price. Had my truck done at AAMCO and it was $170 with the filter changed too. Don't cheap out your tranny.

If you're not going to do this yourself then go to Precision Tuning in Brick, NJ and get both the transmission AND rear differential fluid done for $95.00.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1134615

Thanks for everyone's insight. I have heard enough evidence to convince me to go with the $200 dealer job. It will be good to have it on record in their computers, and also for my own piece of mind. Plus, I don't even want to know what a new transmission costs.

-AJ

I was discussing this with my service advisor yesterday. All you really NEED to do is drain and fill on the newer transmissions. The filter is actually built to last for ~80-100K miles. This is the dealership that told me this. You'd think they would want to upsell you as much as possible. The service advisor is a good friend of mine though.

Short: Just get a drain and fill. Coming from an experienced Subaru tech/service advisor who is an enthusiast.

Yeah. They want to sell you a new tranny or better yet a new car.

wait -you have 45k and you have ne=ver changed it yet?

sorry if i misread that but in case i read it correctly, i wouldnt change it now....

chances are if you change it now you'll prob blow ur tranny within a month

I'd say 60k is average to change. Plus if it does go, so what. Do it while it's under waranty instead of finding out it's cooked later.

i dont know what it is for subarus but i have seen some cars that require 100k trans. service and i have seen cars that require fluid changes @ 10k....

thats what i was thinking when i said dont change it @45k (if it was due at 10k)

nevermind.....lol

I just did a flush myself while adding a tranny cooler. My local dealer wanted $120 for a case of fluid, next town over another dealer charged me $72. This was for the 5eat ATF fluid. So half of the dealer charge of $200 is probably for the ATF fluid.

The 5EAT has a drain plug so a simple drain and fill would be as easy as an oil change. I will probably just drain and fill every other oil change. The tranny does not have combustion byproducts to contaminate the fluid so this should keep the additives fresh.

I just did a flush myself while adding a tranny cooler. My local dealer wanted $120 for a case of fluid, next town over another dealer charged me $72. This was for the 5eat ATF fluid. So half of the dealer charge of $200 is probably for the ATF fluid.

The 5EAT has a drain plug so a simple drain and fill would be as easy as an oil change. I will probably just drain and fill every other oil change. The tranny does not have combustion byproducts to contaminate the fluid so this should keep the additives fresh.

I dont' think you need to change it that often... i think 18-30K is when most people do it...

Mike

SoCal Duck Hunters Club - Unit 52

That is not a flush, as a flush uses a machine to put some pressure on the system to get out any contaminents in there. Simply swapping a few quarts here and there is not flush. It is a partial change. You are getting none of the fluid that is in the torque converter out when you do that.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd say 60k is average to change. Plus if it does go, so what. Do it while it's under waranty instead of finding out it's cooked later.

OK so what if your car is modded?

Isn't this a catch 22? Change the fluid to protect the transmission, but the fluid change causes failure and dealer says you already voided the warranty with modifications.

Am I missing something?

Why would it fail if you change the fluid?

see post #8 above:

My recommendation is to always get the tranny flushed about 5-10k before the warranty is up. The reason is if you have previously "cooked" your fluid, flushing it may result in the tranny going. Doing it this early before warranty means the dealer will be buying you a new tranny if it is the case.

I don't really understand this whole "previously cooked" deal, and would actually like a better explanation on it.....

Except that Subaru's recomendation is to change it every 30k (or every 15k for severe duty) and if you haven't performed (and have proof) the required maintanance, Subaru will usually not cover it...

And regarding Automatic's, the Legacy's 5EAT uses a specific ATF-HP fluid that currently has no aftermarket alternative...so if someone or someplace else is doing your AT fluid change/flush I'd recomend you bring them the correct fluid.

Archived