LegacyGT.com

Retrofitting Navigation

ExRex

I guessing that the Legacy is destined for Navigation sometime in the future (MY2006?). Probably HIDs too, but I'm less excited by those. What do you think the chances are that us owners of 2005 Legacies will be able to retrofit navigation? Any guess on the cost?

I would think adding it after the fact would cost a lot. On my accord I was looking into adding the OEM Navi, Parts came to over $5k, and I think Navi adds on 1500-2000 at the most to the price if you buy it with it. I hope it's not that way for Scooby, I would love to add the OEM navi to mine. Thought about the aftermarket units like Magellan or Garmin? They work very well, however it's not that oem look you want.

Navigation is definitely a "want" and not a "need" for me. I'd only get it if it was OEM. I'm a little worried that I'll end up kicking myself for not waiting a few months for the 06 models. Especially if the Nav has a feature that I think I saw on the JDM version... If you look at the WR Limited Legacy pictures that are going around, that navigation screen looks like it has a picture of three dials on it. I'm thinking... Boost Guage, Oil Temp, Oil Pressure?!?! Now THAT would be sweet! I'm sure someone will tell me I'm wrong though.

[quote name='mmm def']I would think adding it after the fact would cost a lot. [/QUOTE] As for parts, I beliee it is the computer which does in the slot in the glove, the screen, the wiring harness, and the little plastic dash piece that fits around the screen. It shouldn't be a lot of work, I assume. I'm most probably going to retrofit the navi to it. - Mike

i am buying my legacy in a week (ordering) and before it comes i will also be purchasing the new pioneer avinc (did i spell that right) unit. i am contemplating where to have it installed. would the unit fit in that compartment that has the lift up cover? i think u guys call that the cubby hole not sure, its above the cd player. if it could be installed there without any complications that would be great because i could still use the "cover," and when the system is off make it out of sight.

AVICN1 Dimensions: (Main Chassis) 7" x 2" x 6-1/2" Depth and Heightwise, it will fit, but the width is too big for the existing cubby. You're probably gonna have to chop out 1"-1.5" on each end. Other then that, the unit looks real nice. Heres the pic that sparks my interest: [img]http://ai.pricegrabber.com/product_images/2015000-2015999/2015077_640.jpg[/img]

yea i know, i decided that chopping out parts of my car wasn't suhca goo idea, i will be getting this unit: [url]http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/333/C3326/[/url] and just sotre it in the cubby, when i nee dit i'm sure there is a spot to stand it up in the car. thanks!

• 1 year later...
I took a Legacy Spec B for a spin the other day, then discussed the possibility of retrofitting the nav system on an '05 with the dealer and parts guys. The parts guy said that he had asked the factory guys about retrofitting the system to '05 models when he visited the factory and was told that it would not be possible. Period. I'm still having a hard time buying this for several reasons (and because I really want the nav system). Would they really not include the nav wiring in the harness and have to incur the cost of updating it after just one production year despite the fact that they were planning on offering a nav system from the start? I highly doubt it, although if anyone would do this, it would be Subaru. The interfaces for the temp, trip computer, mpg, etc., are already right there for the existing (half ass, IMO) display. My thought is that this existing display is so poorly executed that it was an afterthought -something they hacked together when the nav system production didn't meet the deadline. I know the nav system is still considered an option, but still... By the way, seeing the gauges on the nav system display after scouring the internet for photos of it led me to believe that they might be customizable at most or have boost, oil pressure, etc., at least as well, but that's not the case. The 'gauges' you see in the pics are just dressed up MPG trip computer displays. They're cool, none the less, and that's really why I want the nav system. It's a gadget, damnit. And a cool one. And it looks killer. A lot better that the cubby hole and kludgey clock and airbag nonsense. Oh yeah, and there's a scientific calculator included! Typical Sube quirkiness, but, after all, that's why we love them, right? Dave

The entire dash wiring harness is different in cars with the factory navigation, here is a somewhat complete parts list of what you would need. [url]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22826[/url]

[quote name='Legacy05GT']AVICN1 Dimensions: (Main Chassis) 7" x 2" x 6-1/2" Depth and Heightwise, it will fit, but the width is too big for the existing cubby. You're probably gonna have to chop out 1"-1.5" on each end. [/quote] It's much easier than you think... [IMG]http://aaron.huba.home.comcast.net/install2.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://aaron.huba.home.comcast.net/install3.jpg[/IMG]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='davebuser']I took a Legacy Spec B for a spin the other day, then discussed the possibility of retrofitting the nav system on an '05 with the dealer and parts guys. The parts guy said that he had asked the factory guys about retrofitting the system to '05 models when he visited the factory and was told that it would not be possible. Period. I'm still having a hard time buying this for several reasons (and because I really want the nav system). Would they really not include the nav wiring in the harness and have to incur the cost of updating it after just one production year despite the fact that they were planning on offering a nav system from the start? I highly doubt it, although if anyone would do this, it would be Subaru. The interfaces for the temp, trip computer, mpg, etc., are already right there for the existing (half ass, IMO) display. My thought is that this existing display is so poorly executed that it was an afterthought -something they hacked together when the nav system production didn't meet the deadline. I know the nav system is still considered an option, but still... By the way, seeing the gauges on the nav system display after scouring the internet for photos of it led me to believe that they might be customizable at most or have boost, oil pressure, etc., at least as well, but that's not the case. The 'gauges' you see in the pics are just dressed up MPG trip computer displays. They're cool, none the less, and that's really why I want the nav system. It's a gadget, damnit. And a cool one. And it looks killer. A lot better that the cubby hole and kludgey clock and airbag nonsense. Oh yeah, and there's a scientific calculator included! Typical Sube quirkiness, but, after all, that's why we love them, right? Dave[/quote] Just get yourself the AVO clock relocator panel and navigation bezel (or just order the bezel through Subaru for $80-100) then get yourself and Eclipse AVN5495. It's an awesome unit and has far more functionality than the factory nav IMO.

[quote name='duaneger']that is sweet! Did you do it yourself? or had it done at a shop? Also, do you have pics when the view screen is tucked away?[/quote] I did it myself. It really wasn't very hard. The most frustrating part of the installation was actually caused by a software glitch in the AVIC-N2. It wouldn't sense my parking brake! Pioneer is shipping me a newer operating system that supposedly corrects the problem. Pic with folded screen... [IMG]http://aaron.huba.home.comcast.net/install1.jpg[/IMG] The only downside I have noticed so far is fan noise. It gets a little irritating, and I'm looking into ways to dampen the sound.

[quote name='snoman']I did it myself. It really wasn't very hard. The most frustrating part of the installation was actually caused by a software glitch in the AVIC-N2. It wouldn't sense my parking brake! Pioneer is shipping me a newer operating system that supposedly corrects the problem. The only downside I have noticed so far is fan noise. It gets a little irritating, and I'm looking into ways to dampen the sound.[/QUOTE] Nice. How does it sound? Is it patched into the factory stereo through the antenna? tom

tom :)

No, the AVIC-N2 is driving the speakers. The sound of an FM modulator wouldn't be acceptable for me. The 6-CD changer runs through the AVIC-N2 via a high quality line-out converter. In my opinion, the stock stereo sounded better than the Pioneer. It was fuller, and definitely had a punchier sound. The Pioneer sounds a little anemic, with scratchy highs and no fullness in the midrange. I find that it sounds very similar to the Pioneer deck in my last car, which also had a "thin" sound.

Archived