LegacyGT.com

Gear Grinding?

REX2LGT

How's it going fellow WRX to LGT converts and all others!!! Just wanted to start a topic about a trend that I'm starting to notice at high rev gear changing. Maybe its been brought up before but I dont feel like going back through and trying to find it. Anyway during aggressive driving like above 4500 RPM when I try to switch gears (fast) from 2nd to 3rd it doesnt want to go into gear.. It grinds like I'm trying to switch gears w/ out the clutch pushed in... So I have to keep the clutch suppressed wait for the rpm's to drop then drop it into 3rd.. This really pisses me off... I'm trying to enjoy some spirited driving when all of a sudden I cant get it into 3rd! ..God forbid me trying to pull away from a "Rice Boy" Honda and this happen..also a note.. I have 1,200 miles on the car and I got the short throw put on from the dealer.. I dont know if it would have happened w/ the stock shifter because I didnt drive aggressive I didnt have the 1k miles on it yet. I experienced this also in my WRX from time to time but not as often as I'm starting to experience it in the LGT... Does anyone know why this happens and what can be done to fix it?

Could be that the shifter linkage is mis-adjusted, since you had the STS put on by the dealer. I would take it back and bitch. Worst case, you've damaged a syncro and need a new tranny. Also, how's the clutch engagement height? Is it really low? Could be that it is out of adjustment (I know hydraulic clutches are supposed to be self-adjusting, but I believe the height can still be adjusted) and not disengaging completely. Of course, when the revs drop, the syncros don't have to do any work, and things go together smoothly (which is why you can shift without using the clutch).

I have the same problem as Rex2LGT. I have a Legacy GT and I have problems getting in reverse (I have to let the car roll a little) and getting into 2nd during spirited driving. I find it hard to believe I'm not stepping on the clutch all the way because the clutch grabs relatively high. I spoke to a representative at Subaru about other buying matters and when he asked me otherwise how I like the car, I explained the gearbox dilemma and he agreed with me stating he has the same problem with his Legacy. Both of us coming from German cars with gearboxes that are like butter, this is a big change for me. The touchy accelerator doesn't help driving the car either.

I still want to get a short shifter but am deciding between the Kartboy and STi ones. I heard that getting better bushings helps make getting into reverse easier. 50% of the time I have to double clutch a couple times to get it in reverse which is kind of embarassing when other people are in the car and it won't get into reverse. :lol:

I had similar troubles with mine - like I was letting off the clutch a little before it was actually in gear or something. I've had the Kartboy STS and bushings in for about four days now and have yet to grind a gear. Reverse is easier as well.

I can't seem to shift into reverse when I'm driving in 4th gear. :lol: Didn't Britney Spears blow a tranny on a Ferrari she rented by shifting into 2nd at 80mph or something?
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

Thanks for the response fellas.. I'm not happy to see that this appears to be common place amongst us. I personally haven’t had any prob. w/ reverse...I'm going to monitor it more closely for the next couple days.. I'm going to push it hard like I'm running the 1/4 Mi. If it happens over and over I'm taking it back to the dealer.. I keep you all posted... one more gripe.. the STS I got from dealer is kinda a disappointment..the throws aren’t that much shorter than stock..(I'm thinking I got ripped off) Canis how short are the throws in the Kartboy and how much did you pay for it?

I haven't personally compared the two, but it is supposedly shorter both due to fulcrum point and being phisically 1" shorter. Check this thread: [url]http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3740[/url] It was $133 to my door for the shifter, bushings, t-shirt (mention LegacyGT.com) and a LemonHead candy (?)

Archived