LegacyGT.com

E-Brake while in gear good or bad

More or less new the whole all wheel drive thing. My friend told me on his brother quattro A4 he has to disengage the clutch while doing this or it locks up the front and is bad for the center diff. Well it is snowing out and I want to have as much fun as possible without breaking the car.

I still think that the car understeers way too much in the snow at time, especially with the stock tires. Last night a took some turns in a parking lot with about 3 inches of somewhat packed snow. I did use the ebrake a couple of time before I was informed about the consequences everything seems fine today as I was tearing the back roads up. I imagine that ebraking sharp corners in the dry is much much worse than on somewhat tractionless conditions. Everything should be fine right?

I imagine I would be much more happy if I was able to split up the diff % my self but oh well as I am not buying a new car. What about ebraking with the clutch pushed in. Bad or Ok?

snow tires will give you less understeer in those conditions. AWD isn't magic, no traction is still no traction.

Don't use the e-brake with the car in gear - the awd will force more poewr to the end that is spinning more slowly (that indifcates that it has more traction) which means it will be putting more power to the wheels that are eing braked by the parking brake.

Yeah ppl shouldnt try to imitate the crazy stuff seen in WRC racing, esp since those WRC class cars have special centre diffs that open up completely when the e-brake is yanked, disconnecting the front from rear wheels and preventing f ups in the AWD system.

Ed

WRC class cars have special centre diffs that open up completely when the e-brake is yanked

It's nothing special. The center diff is computer controlled. Pulling on the e-brake just tells it to open the diff. The same thing occurs with Haldex AWD systems like in Volvo's. Simply pulling the e-brake one notch will turn it into FWD.

Archived