LegacyGT.com

Sport Grille

jim1969

I showed the car to two buddies today who are car guys and they both loved the grille (one drives Bimmers and the other Vettes). I pointed out the fit issues and both said they didn't notice anything until I pointed it out. So, overall I am happy with the look. I still want to swap the mesh out to a tighter weave (any suggestions on where to get some good stuff?), but will wait until warmer weather.

That looks nice. The grill doesn't extend all the way over the JDM bumpers, either. (Although the pic I attached below is of a Spec B). With black on black, I shouldn't get that shadow. I think I might take the plunge if I have any $ left over after the holidays. [img]http://www.d3.dion.ne.jp/~maru_h/image/wnggr5.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.d3.dion.ne.jp/~maru_h/image/wnggr6.jpg[/img]

awww, that's not bad at all, it's like my grille, only it doesnt have a cutout for the air intake. I dont know how tight of a weave you want. You can spend $$ FolioTec grille mesh applications (aluminum and pretty hard and sturdy,about $45 a sheet, one sheet should do the grille easily). Grillecraft might have some.. but to be simple & cheap, just goto Home Depot and get some screen door mesh if you want.. there's also chicken wire fencing some people use as well. Keefe
Keefe

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Patagonian GT']I showed the car to two buddies today who are car guys and they both loved the grille (one drives Bimmers and the other Vettes). I pointed out the fit issues and both said they didn't notice anything until I pointed it out. So, overall I am happy with the look. I still want to swap the mesh out to a tighter weave (any suggestions on where to get some good stuff?), but will wait until warmer weather.[/QUOTE] I think it looks damn good- nice match on the paint, which is always a concern and it gives it that extra something that makes you look the car over to see why it stands out.

[quote name='jedimaster']I think it looks damn good- nice match on the paint, which is always a concern and it gives it that extra something that makes you look the car over to see why it stands out.[/QUOTE] The grille comes painted in the factory paint, as it is a Subaru accessory. It's definitely a subtle change from the factory grille, which is a blatant copy of the Acura grille design. I don't think most non-Subaru people would notice.

I think it looks really good.:) I was thinking of making the purchase and after you said it didn't fit that well I was beginng to worry but it looks really good. All things considered you are using a JDM grille on a USDM car so we can't expect the fit to be "perfect". If you don't mind where did you order the grille? and how much did you pay for the grille? Thanks:)

Thanks. I knew it wasn't a perfect fit, but Keefe's info about having to snap some mounting tabs off was incorrect (his Pleasure Racing grille might have needed that). All the mounting points are used and the fit in that respect is perfect. Looking at the grille, I might be able to improve the fit a bit by rounding off the bottom corners a bit - this will allow the bottom edge to fit the same across the width. The problem with that is that I also might make it worse and create a gap if I overdo it. I went through Paul at AVO to get it. He was able to give me a fair price on it (same as what KoI and CC-B were charging), and got it to me in about five weeks start to finish. I am hesitant to quote a price, as the Yen has strengthened and you might be paying more now. Send Paul and email and I am sure he will do the best he can for you. -Dan

[quote name='Patagonian GT']Thanks. I knew it wasn't a perfect fit, but Keefe's info about having to snap some mounting tabs off was incorrect (his Pleasure Racing grille might have needed that). All the mounting points are used and the fit in that respect is perfect. -Dan[/QUOTE] If you look under the stock grille, there are two hooks/tabs that hooks onto the bumper.. those are the ones that I am referring to that my grille DOESN'T have. I assume the OEM grilles have the hooks on the underside to hold the grille with the bumper secure. Keefe
Keefe

Yup....there are tabs top and bottom, left and right. I have to say, that's what slowed me up on the install....you have to get them lined up before you snap the top clips into place. Easy if you have small hands to reach down between the grille and the bulkhead, but I don't.

Archived