LegacyGT.com

Question for all you Satalite radio folk

leggtnut

I have a SkyFi2 in my LGT and it has been working flawlessly up untill today. I live in the woods, so my signal is spotty while I am there, but once I get into a clear area (1/2 my commute) I normally get just about a 100% signal all the time. Yesterday I got up and went to work, but my radio didn't get a signal what so ever the entire way. It just said no signal. I got to work, checked my antenna and antenna cable and all look good, no kinks or breaks in the cable. I drove home and got about a 50% signal for the part of my drive that I normally get a 100%. This morning I had the exact same thing. Though Once I get into the city, I do get the Teresterial signal just fine, it is just the Satalite signal that I have not been able to recieve.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ben

Ben (2014 Outback SAP w/ eyesite, 2014 Tribeca Limited, 2006 LGT limited sedan)

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Right now it is mounted next to the whindshield on the passanger side. It has been working flawlessly there for 2 weeks. Before that it was sitting on my dash and was flawlessly there as well.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Right now it is mounted next to the whindshield on the passanger side. It has been working flawlessly there for 2 weeks. Before that it was sitting on my dash and was flawlessly there as well.

The antenna should be stuck (using the magnet) to a magnetic body panel that faces t he sky for best reception. It needs a good ground plane, which basically tells the antenna where to look for a signal. The roof, for example, is perfect because it always faces toward the sky.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

It currently is on the roof. It was working there for 2 weeks and then nothing. I just went out to get some lunch and got a max of 2 bars of satalite signal and a full signal of teristarial signal while I was out. Hell, I was sitting on an overpass waiting for a light w/out a building, tree, or anything else obstructing the view of the sky and had 0 bars.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

My bet is on the antenna, but since you say that you receive a terestrial signal with no problems...

This isn't exactly convenient, but try to find another antenna so you can rule it out as the source of your problem. 90% of the problems that I see with XM revolve around that needle-thin antenna cable.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

direavenger, Will try it. I have another car kit and a home kit that I haven't setup yet so I will give the other car kit antenna a shot.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I'm also willing to bet that it's an antenna problem. The antenna cables crimp and break very easily.

Terrestrial signals are signficantly stronger than satellite signals, so even with a broken antenna you are still likely to receive terrestrial signals without problems.

That was what I thought, but when I inspected the cable I didn't find any crimps nor any breaks. But It wasn't an extreamly through inspection. I will take it in the house when I get home and look at it a lot closer.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

That was what I thought, but when I inspected the cable I didn't find any crimps nor any breaks. But It wasn't an extreamly through inspection. I will take it in the house when I get home and look at it a lot closer.

Breaks in the cable aren't usually visible from the exterior. Breaking or kinking the center lead of the coaxial cable will change the imdepance of the antenna, making it less efficient.

direavenger, Will try it. I have another car kit and a home kit that I haven't setup yet so I will give the other car kit antenna a shot.

I also have skyfi; however it's used in the house. BUT in the MENU option there is an ANTENNA AIMING feature. You may want to give that a try too. I've got the roady in my car and have no issues with it.

258k miles - Stock engine/minor suspension upgrades/original shocks/rear struts replaced at 222k/4 passenger side wheel bearings/3 clutches/1 radiator/3 turbos

If I remember correctly a broken antenna doesn't just give you no signal strength, you'll see antenna displayed indicating it is not connected. At least that is what my Myfi did, when the break opens the loop is no longer closed and it thinks the antenna has been removed.

OK, I didn't have a chance to check things out last night, but I get into the car this morning and now I have a perfict signal again. I was able to get some reception in the woods, and once I hit the city, I got a good satalite as well as tersterial signal.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

Work near the airport, but I think that 30 miles away would have that kind of affect. And No military bases near by.

Subaru Ambassador PNW

I have a SkyFi2 in my LGT and it has been working flawlessly up untill today. I live in the woods, so my signal is spotty while I am there, but once I get into a clear area (1/2 my commute) I normally get just about a 100% signal all the time. Yesterday I got up and went to work, but my radio didn't get a signal what so ever the entire way. It just said no signal. I got to work, checked my antenna and antenna cable and all look good, no kinks or breaks in the cable. I drove home and got about a 50% signal for the part of my drive that I normally get a 100%. This morning I had the exact same thing. Though Once I get into the city, I do get the Teresterial signal just fine, it is just the Satalite signal that I have not been able to recieve.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ben

I Have had the same problem antenna went bad all three times, really annoying, the first time the installed crushed wire when installing lasted a month, the second and third time it lasted 6 months, Sirius blamed it on weather exposure. I am on the 5 month of my fourth antenna I have my fingers crossed.

Archived