LegacyGT.com

Dp question ? What would you do?

itsme

Here is where I'm at. I'm want to go stage 2. I already have a PDE coated UP and a Crucial coated shorty in my garage. I bought the shorty for @$260 back when the cheapest catted DP was $600+. On the 19th I will be getting a custom SS 3" to dual 2.25" mandel bent cat back installed ( 3" Borla XR1 as resonator and dual 2.25" Magnaflow mufflers). Now the prices on catted DP have really come down. Autospeed has one for $350 and I'm on the pre-buy list for the $350 TDC catted DP that will be out in 30-60 days. Now what should I do?

1. Just put on the stuff I have and call it a day.

2. Put on the stuff I have and add a hi flow catt(2.5" or 3"?)

3. Get the Autospeed catted DP.

4. Or just wait for the TDC catted DP.

What are the pros and cons of these setup with the catt back I talked about? Will I notice the power difference. Plus I have been seeing shorty DP sitting in the market place with none selling. So that mean I may have to eat that $260 I spent on it.

With this I should be done after I install my FMIC:icon_wink . Thanks for any help.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I don't think you'll recoup the $$ for the shorty DP. I'd keep the shorty and go for a HFC MP that way you'll keep some flexibility if you wanna swap out the cat for any reason. That was the route I was heading for but then I came accross a Cobb catted dp for cheap$$ and couldn't pass it up.
Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

When making a decision on which way to go, you should ignore how much you paid for the item. Only consider what it is worth today.

If you buy the Autospeed catted DP for $350 and sell your shorty for $200 that would mean only a delta cost of $150. A HFC midpipe is probably $250 to $300. Sure, you lost money on the shorty but you'll just have to accept.

The shorty is good for both auto and manual transmissions, it is coated, and a quality piece. I think you may be able to find a buyer for $200. If not, for $150 definitely.

Does your crucial shorty have an O2 bung? IIRC, the autospeed has a bung.

BTW, I am currently running a Crucial up and Crucial shorty with stock 3rd cat.

When making a decision on which way to go, you should ignore how much you paid for the item. Only consider what it is worth today.

If you buy the Autospeed catted DP for $350 and sell your shorty for $200 that would mean only a delta cost of $150. A HFC midpipe is probably $250 to $300. Sure, you lost money on the shorty but you'll just have to accept.

The shorty is good for both auto and manual transmissions, it is coated, and a quality piece. I think you may be able to find a buyer for $200. If not, for $150 definitely.

Does your crucial shorty have an O2 bung? IIRC, the autospeed has a bung.

BTW, I am currently running a Crucial up and Crucial shorty with stock 3rd cat.

So How do you like your setup so far? I think I will just stick with what I got and get a HFC when the stock dies. I don't think I'm going to leave that much HP on the table(@ 5hp with stock turbo) and my k&N typhoon and soon to be installed DIY FMIC will make more than that :). Plus who is going to buy a shorty when a catted dp is $350. Thanks for all the input. I'm going to have it all the stuff I have installed this weekend.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

I don't think the 3rd cat works very well because it is too far away. If I had to do it all over again, I would have wrapped the Crucial downpipe with header wrap. The Crucial downpipe is coated on the inside plus the exhaust gas is cooler at the downpipe than at the uppipe so I think the metal will be okay. By wrapping it, it will keep more heat retained to allow for better light off of the 3rd cat.

Perrin sells a 3rd cat pipe now so that is an alternative to the Crucial if you decide to get one.

My Crucial DP doesn't have an O2 bung. It seems like Crucial added that later.

BTW, I don't hear the wastegate that much. I was expecting to be annoyed by it but I don't hear it. The two smaller diameter pipes plus ceramic coating seems to deaden sound better than the single large diameter pipes of other downpipes. I still need to datalog and find out what's going on with stage 2. I only have stock and stage 1 logs.

• 3 weeks later...
I ended up finding a new 3" catco hi flow for $30 new and ran a my custom setup. So now I have a new Turbo back. It sounds great and pulls very strong. Thanks

Archived