LegacyGT.com

Outback 2.5i VDC vs. MB 280E 4matic

Yesterday my brother in law visited.

I had parked my Outback 2.5i VDC in about 30cm of fresh snow with pure ice underneath.

Well he tried to reverse into parking along my car but got stuck. One of his rear wheels just spun and no other wheel got enough power to move the car. It is a hill but not that steep. After turning off his traction control system he managed to get the car away from the snow and onto the road. I was surprised the 4matic system was so bad. He only had one rear wheel with zero tracton and still was stuck.

He wanted to se my car in the same situation so i reversed down to the same spot. No problem. I tried to make it worse by placing both my left side wheels on zero friction ice+snow. The VDC light flashed but still no problem. :D

I love the Outback! He want's one too now...

We both have new studded winter tires. Michelin x-ice north (MB) and Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4 (Outback).

:icon_cool

Yesterday my brother in law visited.

I had parked my Outback 2.5i VDC in about 30cm of fresh snow with pure ice underneath.

Well he tried to reverse into parking along my car but got stuck. One of his rear wheels just spun and no other wheel got enough power to move the car. It is a hill but not that steep. After turning off his traction control system he managed to get the car away from the snow and onto the road. I was surprised the 4matic system was so bad. He only had one rear wheel with zero tracton and still was stuck.

He wanted to se my car in the same situation so i reversed down to the same spot. No problem. I tried to make it worse by placing both my left side wheels on zero friction ice+snow. The VDC light flashed but still no problem. :D

I love the Outback! He want's one too now...

We both have new studded winter tires. Michelin x-ice north (MB) and Nokian Hakkapeliitta 4 (Outback).

:icon_cool

How important do you think VDC was in that situation?

tytek, we're expecting more snow this week. I'll try to snap some pics

harrydog, i don't know yet. But the place is on my yard so i can place the car there and turn off VDC tomorrow morning and see what happens :)

any cool pictures that you guys could post - subaru and snow???

Theres a whole thread on OB's in the winter in the Outback Pictures section. But to hold you over untill you take a trip over there, I'll give ya a teaser of my OB in bout 9" of snow.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k52/ruphfus/Image1-1.jpg

Theres a whole thread on OB's in the winter in the Outback Pictures section. But to hold you over untill you take a trip over there, I'll give ya a teaser of my OB in bout 9" of snow.

http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k52/ruphfus/Image1-1.jpg

Ruphfus, you call that snow? In my eyes that only a sprinkle of the white stuff :icon_bigg . You need to come here for the winter. :lol::icon_bigg:lol:

but I love your photos!

tytek, we're expecting more snow this week. I'll try to snap some pics

harrydog, i don't know yet. But the place is on my yard so i can place the car there and turn off VDC tomorrow morning and see what happens :)

Erito, it’s time to come out to play with your Scooby doby doooooooooooooooo, we have lots of snow today so I will take some pictures also.

My wife thinks that I am a big kid playing with my car in the snow :icon_bigg:icon_cool:icon_bigg

Erito, it’s time to come out to play with your Scooby doby doooooooooooooooo, we have lots of snow today so I will take some pictures also.

My wife thinks that I am a big kid playing with my car in the snow :icon_bigg:icon_cool:icon_bigg

He he he I was out playin' yesterday in the snow. We have about 60-70 cm and alot of ice under the snow. No really good place to play though... Just some paths into the forest. My friend is right now on his way to Are to drive Audi Q7 and A4 with rally instructor on terrain course and ice circuit :)

I need a huge open-space place where i don't risk to wreck my car... after all, i'm not Petter Solberg :D

Where do you live amex?

He he he I was out playin' yesterday in the snow. We have about 60-70 cm and alot of ice under the snow. No really good place to play though... Just some paths into the forest. My friend is right now on his way to Are to drive Audi Q7 and A4 with rally instructor on terrain course and ice circuit :)

I need a huge open-space place where i don't risk to wreck my car... after all, i'm not Petter Solberg :D

Where do you live amex?

I live just outside of Strangnas on the countryside; this is why I bought an outback and not the legacy. Living out here you need to learn to drive like peter Solberg.

Out here we have more fun with the car and use it for what it was built for; the roads out here get lots of ICE ICE ICE BABY.

I love driving my Scooby on the icy roads in the winter.

PS: my wife feels very safe in the car with our new baby and has even hinted about getting another Scooby for her and the baby.

What can one say but Scooby doby dooooooooooo. :icon_mrgr:icon_cool:icon_mrgr

I live just outside of Strangnas on the countryside; this is why I bought an outback and not the legacy. Living out here you need to learn to drive like peter Solberg.

Out here we have more fun with the car and use it for what it was built for; the roads out here get lots of ICE ICE ICE BABY.

I love driving my Scooby on the icy roads in the winter.

PS: my wife feels very safe in the car with our new baby and has even hinted about getting another Scooby for her and the baby.

What can one say but Scooby doby dooooooooooo. :icon_mrgr:icon_cool:icon_mrgr

Congratulations to the baby :)

Same thing here. Countryside with icy-roads six months of the year and a new baby aswell :D

Wife loves the Outback and if she goes anywhere, i'll get to use her Ford Focus instead...

But i haven't learned to drive like Petter yet....

sebberry, i turned off the stability control (VDC) and got out of the situation just as good. Both options got me out of the place, but the car seem to 'drift' more with VDC on. I guess that is because the power is transferred more from left to right where the car finds traction and pulls the car to that side.

Did some shorter deep snow driving this morning and this is my experience:

VDC On=The car seem to work hard to find traction and you have to apply throttle. When you really put your foot down, it takes you where you want.

VDC Off=The car seem to take you where you want with less throttle and it feels like you know more what's happening :)

I am looking for some place to test the VDC on/off more and i'll let you know.

Not true. VDC works together with TCS in this car -you can't have on one without the other. So if any wheel spins faster than another it will brake that wheel in order to transfer power to the opposite side. you don't have to be drifting or out of control for this to happen.

jmn69, that's as i experienced it. When i turned off VDC, the wheels could spin, but it still felt like the power-ratio front/rear changed as i drove. With VDC on alot of right/left/front/rear anti-spin and torque transferring was going on.... :)

Compared to the xDrive BMW cars with DSC3, Subaru VDC felt like reacting slower or allowing some more spin/drift.

Anyway, my VDC car is awsome in deep snow and tough conditions! :D

Not true. VDC works together with TCS in this car -you can't have on one without the other. So if any wheel spins faster than another it will brake that wheel in order to transfer power to the opposite side. you don't have to be drifting or out of control for this to happen.

I take your point, I was referring more to the fact that the rear axle has LSD in either case, so the amount of wheelspin would be controlled mechanically. Or do VDC Outbacks not have a LSD?

Who Dares Wins

スバル

wish I could have gotten vdc on my lgt 5mt but wasn't available. Can ob 2.5i be had with vdc in usa? thought it only came on the obxt's

No 2.5i NA models can be had with VDC in the USA. This is something they have to change soon! But the Outback 2.5i does come with a limited slip rear diff here.

All our Legacy/Outback Subaru cars here in Sweden do have rear LSD, and all automatic transmission does have VDC. 2.5i and 3.0R and 3.0R Spec.B and 2.0R

VDC is also standard on manual 6speed in Spec.B.

20cm of fresh snow today :D

I will try to snap some pictures, but since i'm always inside the car i dont get alot of images to share with you...

4,5 hours between these shots from my office:

http://www.digitalstudio.se/photo/gallery/d/6065-1/DSC00024.JPG

Archived