LegacyGT.com

For People Who Hate E-throttle

You can reprogram it. I believe most off-the-shelf tunes will reprogram it. If you want something different, you can ask your tuner if they'll adjust it to your taste.

I copied the STi throttle mapping and used that for a while. It was a little bit too touchy for me.

If you are hitting the throttle all the way and get a slight lag, it might actually be the OL/CL delay which you can also zero out.

My wife's stock 05 has no lag associated with the drive by wire throttle. My 06 has a noticeable amount more both in stock, COBB satge 1 and TDC stage 2 trims. I plan on having that issue addressed during my upcoming protune.
ignore him, he'll go away.

What is your issue precisely ? e-throttle or turbo lag ?

Both can be taken care of via reprogramming...no need to change anything really.

nah its not the turbo lag, when ever i mash on the throttle it gives me a bit of a lag. I guess im gonna go to the local tuner to get my throttle mapping changed.

For the last time, my car is not a Camry

What is your issue precisely ? e-throttle or turbo lag ?

Pretty sure it's the E-throttle. I assume turbo lag is the lack of power at low RPMs.. This is a lack of response.

My last car was an instant response. Tap the gas, the engine jumps. The LGT doesn't do this when at any steady RPM. Every time you want to go, you have to take into account the 1/4 - 1/2 second for the ECU to realize that you really do want to go.

It's annoying, but not a deal breaker.

Another example is when going over speed bumps - the LGT doesn't jump at all when you try to keep your foot steady on the gas (and fail)... It's smooth. My last car would jump and studder uncontrollably if I did that because of the minor movements in the gas pedal (I'd push the clutch in to avoid this of course).

Here's an example. I copied the 2005 STi stock throttle map to the 2005 LGT 5MT map. For me, I liked it better than stock but it was too "touchy".

The top table is LGT stock and the bottom table is the 2005 STi throttle map. Notice how a small amount of foot pedal results in more throttle blade movement on the STi. Also, notice that the throttle blade never goes to 100% on the LGT map.

http://i141.photobucket.com/albums/r69/mickeyd2005/throttlecontrol.jpg

I finally bought a used AP 1.0 and am using the Cobb stage 2 OTS. I think it's smoother, but I don't know what the map looks like.

Really a matter of personal preference.

Crawdaddy's car is an 07; last I heard, those aren't yet tunable.

HNRB4LGT, you should try logging to see if the problem really is throttle lag (i.e. the throttle actuator lags behind the pedal) or turbo lag (i.e. torque lags behind the actuator). The cable is $80 from http://www.tactrix.com, and the software is free from http://www.enginuity.com .

MickeyD, the "only goes to 80" think might just be a bug in the way the data is displayed - did you see this thread? http://www.enginuity.org/viewtopic.php?t=1225&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

I copied the throttle map from the stock 2005 STi which I thought had a similar 32 bit ECU.

In hindsight, I do recall datalogging my stock car and it was able to attain 100% throttle, so you're probably right. It's probably an error in interpretation of the map which means that when I copied the STi map it made it twice as twitchy as I thought which probably explains a lot.

^^ I think they were called TPS maps, not TPC maps. IIRC, Jon at TDC developed them, but then decided he didn't really care for them, after all, so I'm not sure they are still available.

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

Like it or not, e-throttle is here to stay. Most of the lumps in the throttle map which people complain about are there to help smooth driver inputs and enable cleaner emissions. STI gets a different throttle map because Subaru chooses to submit the STI into a different (more lenient) emissions category.

you think the the sti throttle mapping would be good for a 5EAT?

Not really, for the same reason as has been linked to above regarding the throttle values, ie. in the LGT the value of 80 can very well represent 100% throttle opening. If that's the case (and my experience says it probably is), the STi's map will have you at >50% throttle right off idle. It was fun but I got tired of rocketing away from every stop -- literally launching the car involuntarily because of the throttle's calibration.

The map I'm using now was designed (not by me) to be very progressive and linear and it has restored the perfect response to pedal input.

Archived