LegacyGT.com

Subaru repair shops in atlanta?

Curse us for buying an 05 legacy GT and then moving to a place where the nearest subie dealer is a 30 minute drive. We weren't impressed with the dealer in duluth (couldn't reproduce the suspension ping that happens EVERY TIME YOU HIT A BUMP... liars), the one in Gwinnett seems better but it's pretty far out. Can anyone recommend any reputable shops closer to Downtown or in Smyrna/Marietta (and even better tell us where *not* to go)? We may need to replace a rear strut soon (long story) and taking it to a dealership is a pain.

Next week I am headed to Classic Subaru in Sandy Springs for the first time (brakes, alignment). I'll let you know how it goes. Very much enjoying my 05 LGT which I just purchased. So much more fun than my old car.

Anyone in Atlanta know of a good, independent Subaru mechanic?

Curse us for buying an 05 legacy GT and then moving to a place where the nearest subie dealer is a 30 minute drive. We weren't impressed with the dealer in duluth (couldn't reproduce the suspension ping that happens EVERY TIME YOU HIT A BUMP... liars), the one in Gwinnett seems better but it's pretty far out. Can anyone recommend any reputable shops closer to Downtown or in Smyrna/Marietta (and even better tell us where *not* to go)? We may need to replace a rear strut soon (long story) and taking it to a dealership is a pain.

We bought our 2005 Forester from Troncalli Subaru in Cumming. Not geographically desirable for you but they were very good on the sale and their collision shop did a great job putting us back together again after a wreck at 3500 miles that required a front rail replacement! Subaru Gwinnett in Duluth is part of the Jim Ellis franchise who has a number of different branded dealerships in Atlanta. My car is a Passat, check www.passatworld.com for viewpoints on Jim Ellis dealership work on VWs. I bought my Passat from them in 2000 but after several service mis-steps, they will never touch my car again. Caveat Emptor

GE

Ahhh, thanks for the heads-up that SoG = Jim Ellis.

I haven't tried their service dept (done all my work myself) but their sales people totally ignored me when I was there to show my brother the Forester XT. I was in my brand new LGT and I don't think we look poor or anything...

Ah, i meant decatur, not duluth (still a newbie to atlanta). From what i've seen on the local WRX forum (wrxatlanta.com i think) SoG is one of the few reputable shops out there and they are very tuner friendly. Didn't know they had a jim ellis connection... funny you mention a passat as i've been checking out vwvortex.com and I haven't seen one positive thing about jim ellis. I'm *thisclose* to trading my teg in for a GTI, but again, worried about the service. But they mentioned a few good places in marietta (independent) so that shouldn't be too bad.

Thats an interesting avatar you have there...kinda sad actually.

Yeah, that's why i used it. :) And i didn't have access to any other pics of the car but crash shots, and i though that one was very representative. What's amazing is the repair work they did -- the whole back end of the car was repaired or replaced, and the only hint you have that something may have happened is that the rear passenger side wheel still has a slight camber to it. Three people in the car, no injuries (not even soreness the next day), and as you can see from the damage, it wasn't a minor accident. Same thing in my car would have totalled it. Subaru may not have worked out all the bugs in those cars, but they are built like tanks.

Ah, i meant decatur, not duluth (still a newbie to atlanta). From what i've seen on the local WRX forum (wrxatlanta.com i think) SoG is one of the few reputable shops out there and they are very tuner friendly. Didn't know they had a jim ellis connection... funny you mention a passat as i've been checking out vwvortex.com and I haven't seen one positive thing about jim ellis. I'm *thisclose* to trading my teg in for a GTI, but again, worried about the service. But they mentioned a few good places in marietta (independent) so that shouldn't be too bad.

I generally bring my car to SoG in Duluth, but then I live in Duluth, so it makes sense for me. I bought my '98 Legacy from Ed Voyles Subaru, which is no more (not surprised - their Subaru dealership was like an orphan child to the Ed Voyles chain). I bought my '05 from SoG, and they've been pretty good to me, other than being pricey. Scott is their performance tuner, and he does a pretty good job.

I wouldn't recommend going for a GTI, unless they're not made in Mexico. I've heard about problems for Mexican-built VWs.

The mkV is german engineering in da hauuuuse. ;) Srsly, it's made in germany, not mexico. Trust me, I wouldn't have just bought one if it was. :wub:

Congrats on the purchase! Hope you enjoy it more than the teg, though Integras are really reliable cars - did you trade it in? Just don't try to race any Legacy GTs, you might just be watching the rear bumper fade into the distance... :icon_mrgr

Theres a blue LGT I see near Peachtree Industrial that always flys by me, sadly i'm never in my LGT when i see that blue one.

Join WRXatlanta.com and ask the guys there, they should know more, and don't worry they are extremely nice and not extreme ricers with BOVs and useless addons.

If you ever see a black one with tinted windows, lowered (Tein springs), with aftermarket 18" wheels and a blacked-out grille - that's me. I'm just east of PIB on Pleasant Hill, and work over in Alpharetta, so if you're on State Bridge in the mornings, you might see me fly by. I also often head south on GA-400 after 6pm.

It's funny, since I've moved to Atlanta, I've learned to drive much more aggressively than I ever did anywhere else. You have to be aggressive to get past all the slowpokes, or you'll never get anywhere. ('course having upwards of 250 hp always helps with shooting for holes in traffic... it's point and shoot). My GT is the funnest car I've owned, even more fun than my old '82 Supra. When the turbo spools, watch out, cuz here I come!

Aggressive driving in & around the ATL........:eek:

Every year I drive through there in the rental Grand Marquis the speedo has to be on 90 just to keep up with the flow of traffic;)

...unless you hit rush hour - then you're poking along at 10-20 mph, jabbing the brakes every few seconds. I think rush hour is so bad because very few people in Atlanta obey the rules of the road, and many don't have a clue how to drive, and many others just don't care. Almost anywhere else in the country, slower traffic generally keeps right except to pass. In Atlanta, you have pokey drivers who just pick a lane and drive at or below the speed limit. When you get a bunch of them hogging all six lanes, you've got a rolling road block.

A real pet peeve of mine is that none of the traffic lights are synchronized, and they all take soooo looong to change. We must have some of the slowest traffic lights in the country (along with Florida).

I suppose the people that grew up here don't know any different, but it can be frustrating for someone coming here from elsewhere.

Oh, and just to keep this sorta on topic, I've heard really good stuff about TopSpeed, though I haven't yet been there. I'll have to make a trip soon...

Fark yeah. I moved here from Omaha and never, ever sat for more than 20-30 seconds at a stoplight. There are times it takes upwards of 5 minutes to make it through 3 lights anywhere, to the point where joining the rolling roadblock on the connector is usually faster than trying to cut through downtown. Anywhere else in the country that's not the case, but in atlanta, you're screwed now matter where you drive.

Which is why i traded my teg in for a DSG GTI. Much as i love our legacy and want one of my own (spec.B... mmm), a manual tranny sucks in this city. It makes me sad also that we have to travel 20-30 minutes just to get to a subie dealer or even someone who can service our car. Living downtown is no fun, period.

I went to SoG this weekend even tho I live in douglasville I'm a bit faimliar with that area. I knew they were the only subaru performance place and figured if anyone thats a subaru dealer would be mod friendly it would be them. I went in and the service guy was suprised that gerald jones in augusta did not stamp my book for service records. He stamped it for the 1st time for me. I brought my own oil and told him that, and he forgot to tell the techs so they didnt use it. When I pointed this out they apologized and gave me a full refund for tire rotation and oil change and then immediatley changed the oil again to my oil. They also informed me that the oil I've been using has been 1/2 quart low of whats needed (5.5 qts? gerald jones said 5 was just enough,unless they've been topping off w/o telling me or something)

So my cars clean, theres fresh oil in it, my tires are at the right air pressure and are rotated (although next time I might want to have them balanced) and it only cost me the price of oil and the trip up there. I will be going back for service if the car can make it. 285 is a heralding experience (if thats the right word to use) and 85 is too.. there was a wreck on 85 that day so I was nearly too late to get it done.

oh, and on the note of atlanta drivers.. I'm aggressive, but I ALWAYS make sure to get out of the way if someone is coming up on me in the fast lane (if I'm the one causing the blockage) I think the SLOWER TRAFFIC KEEP RIGHT signs should be huge and flashing..... it really stimes traffic to have some guy in a beat up old corsica doing 65 on 85 at 9:30 in the morning and nobody can get anywhere cos he refuses to get over... the speed limits here make no sense and people dont seem to have any regard for them at all, however.. I feel that my driving style fits in better up here than it did in augusta heh

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

I have had more bad experiences than good ones with Classic. I had a rather pleasant time buying my LGT from there, but their service department seems to be very incompetent. And even worse is the fact that it takes at least 45 minutes to get there from my house..... I am going to be trying SoG in the next couple of weeks, but not looking forward to the 1+ hour drive to get there from Woodstock.

I have heard nothing but good things about TopSpeed. A guy my dad works with recently drove from Little Rock, Arkansas to Atlanta on a Friday, went to TopSpeed the next morning to have some tuning done on his WRX, then drove right back to Little Rock. I forget exactly what mods he had previously done, but after they were done tuning it, they put it on the dyno and he was making 280hp at the wheels. Needless to say, he was quite pleased!

I also know of a shop up in Acworth near where I work called Knowledge Performance. Haven't really heard anything about them, but one of these days I'm gonna at least stop in and check them out.

Clint

Ah had the same problem in Classic. Awesome place to buy from, shitty place to get service.

The odd thing is, I think the guy who owns Classic Subaru/Cadillac lives in my neighborhood!

Either that, he had the Classic STi for a few weeks for no reason, and has about every single Cadillac in his garage...

How come I don't see any of you guys in LGTs?

Fark yeah. I moved here from Omaha and never, ever sat for more than 20-30 seconds at a stoplight. There are times it takes upwards of 5 minutes to make it through 3 lights anywhere, to the point where joining the rolling roadblock on the connector is usually faster than trying to cut through downtown. Anywhere else in the country that's not the case, but in atlanta, you're screwed now matter where you drive.

Which is why i traded my teg in for a DSG GTI. Much as i love our legacy and want one of my own (spec.B... mmm), a manual tranny sucks in this city. It makes me sad also that we have to travel 20-30 minutes just to get to a subie dealer or even someone who can service our car. Living downtown is no fun, period.

The main problem with Atlanta is the road planners. They had the mistaken idea that if they never expanded the roads to accomodate traffic, people would be pushed to use public transportation more. The problem is: public transportation in Atlanta is so inconvenient that nobody wants to use it - they'd rather deal with 4 million people on the roads than deal with the druggies and homeless people on MARTA, so MARTA didn't have the people traffic to justify expanding to where it was needed (and was sometimes actively blocked from expanding because people didn't want all the homeless and druggies coming into their neighborhoods with the expansion of MARTA) so we're stuck with inadequate roads and inadequate public transportation (and incompetent drivers).

Before the civil war (or "war of northern aggression"), Atlanta was the transportation hub of the south. Now it's the traffic jam of the south. It often feels like all 4.1 million people are on the roads at the same time (plus another couple million passing through, to or from Florida).

In Florida, traffic lights are also slow, but the real difference is that, in Florida, there are multiple ways to get somewhere. Roads are generally in a grid pattern, so it's easy to get around congestion. In Atlanta, there's often only one or two ways to get somewhere, and those roads are never direct (and everybody and their brother also wants to use the same road at the same time).

Too much urban sprawl without proper road planning. It's a nightmare.

(can you tell it bugs me?) Other than that, Atlanta's a nice place to live!

Oh, and to bring me back on topic: I had bought my '98 LGT at Ed Voyles Subaru in Marietta, but the Subie dealer was like their red-headed stepchild, almost as an afterthought to the Hyundai dealership next door. It's no wonder they went out of business.

I've never been to Classic, so I can't say anything good or bad about them. I've been to Subaru of Gwinnett numerous times, and bought my '05 there (used). The service department has been good to me for the most part, though they seem a little pricey at times. They did overcharge me on some wheels once. After I bought them, I looked up pricing on the internet and found I was overcharged, but I got mad at them and they gave me some free service. I probably shouldn't have been buying wheels at the dealer anyway (lesson learned).

All in all, SoG has been good (and Scott has good tuning advice). They offer both Cobb AccessPort and EcuTek tuning there. They offer the full range of SPT parts too.

which one is scott? I dont know if he was there when I was.. but I saw lots of people, one older dude with a moustache that was at a computer in a very wrx/sti/imprezza decorated service room, and then some guys that came and went from the back. If they introduced themselves I missed it (I'm not good with names anyway) I was supirsed at SoG at the fact that they only had like 3 new LGTs, infact like 3 new legacies period. almost 90% of their new stuff is wrxs and foresters, yet I almost never see any of those on the road, only a few 2.5i legacies, a few outbacks, and every blue moon a forrester.

I always hear people talk about how bad the roads are here, I cant understand how 7 lanes in 1 direction isn't enough heh, maybe I come from a small town where 3 is the most you get for a few hundred feet and then its back to 2, how is atl different than any other city when it comes to highways? I've never lived anywhere else. I do find the almost total lack of "back roads" to be suprising.. to get from thornton to highway 5 w/o taking bankhead or 20 is like a 2 hour drive.

you dont see me on the road because I'm always in douglasville and generally, I dont leave except for special trips. You'd be most likley to find me on 20 over any other highway, although I'm on 285 from time to time, and 85. I did see a nice black LGT at the best buy down here in douglasville within a week of moving here, it was mostly stock but tinted up and had a radar detector on the windsheild. (I moved in november) other than that "spotted" around here has been an older woman in a blue 2.5i that was poking along on 285 one night.

oh yea, and what does it mean here if you pass someone they flash their lights at you? is that like a night time middle finger? and if so. why be angry you were in the way?

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men." - Plato

Archived