LegacyGT.com

is this a stiff ride?

toshiba2.5

no

that's soft realatively speaking.. your shocks need to match that so that you dont have a "wavy" ride or a "harsh" ride (in other words, it could be under-sprung or over-dampen).

I will moving onto my front springs on my coilovers to 784 lbs front and 672 lbs rear. The ride wont be bad because the shocks will be rebuilt to match that spring rate.

Keefe

Short answer is NO. Cliff Notes to the long answer is that there is a hell of a lot more that plays in to the subjective perception of ride quality than spring rate. In fact spring rate is IMO 3rd on the list of the major factors in ride quality, with dampening and bushing stiffness being the first 2. Tire choice also has a huge influence on ride quality. Far too many people think that spring rates are the ultimate determinant of ride quality, when it is only one component factor.

What is going to be stiff is my friend's EVO. I just helped him install a bunch of stuff on it. Very firm dampeners, every single bushing on the car swapped for stiff urethane and 670 lb/in and 560 lb/in springs. He should be able to feel every pebble in the road. It is primarily a shop track car, so having a friendly street ride is not a high priority.

Is that all? Im putting 784s /762s on the GT soon ;)

You sir are nuts!:lol: At least you'll be putting those stiff springs to good use out on the track. Heck with springs that stiff, the chassis will be doing most of the flexing, not the springs! I honestly think that is too stiff for optimal use on anything but an ultra smooth track, but let us all know how it does on the track and if the car stays in one piece.:icon_cool

You sir are nuts!:lol: At least you'll be putting those stiff springs to good use out on the track. Heck with springs that stiff, the chassis will be doing most of the flexing, not the springs! I honestly think that is too stiff for optimal use on anything but an ultra smooth track, but let us all know how it does on the track and if the car stays in one piece.:icon_cool

you're forgetting that all i'm really doing is shortening the suspension travel by doing this since the valves will match to the spring rates.. Im getting prepared to run 265/35/18 tires soon.. the suspension isn't stiff enough to the point where I'm lifting wheels off the ground yet.. the chassis is stiff enough for now.. once I blow this stock motor and get another one, that's when the car will become a time-trials car and a full cage will go in and the air bags will all get bypassed.

oh, and my GT is currently daily driven ;)

Keefe

The only reason why you aren't lifting an inside rear is the super stiff front springs. If you do the math, under the weight of the car, your front suspension is only compressing about 1.25", the rear only a little more. That is not much extension travel at all. Under dynamic conditions, the only thing keep the inside rear on the ground is the fact that the front of the car is hardly going to roll at all and lift the rear. It does work though as long as the surface is smooth enough not to have the tires skipping over bumps.

it's actually still leaning, that's my point.. and the suspension travel is still considered long which what is "dragging along the ground".. either I soften the suspension and increase the stroke so that the inside tires still touch the ground or that I shorten the suspension travel and keep the car from rolling by using stiffer springs to prevent the car from lifting off the ground in general, I could run insanely larger sway bars if I can find a set and this will keep the inside tires from coming down and I'll end up picking up the inside tires.. the down side to having a larger sway is that you end up coughing up independent suspension when going over uneven parts of the pavement...
Keefe

yeah well thats how i do my research i asked you about your htechs cause you have them on a 2.5i i wanted to know how the ride was and thank you for answering on that thread but now im askin Han'sGt if that is the link to the cobb springs

well, they are listed for use on the GT. send an email to Cobb and ask them.

Archived