LegacyGT.com

Autoamtic Camry SE faster than LGT?

Faster than an auto LGT, would give a manual LGT a hurting from a slow roll, and might just eek out a win at speed.

C/D TEST RESULTS:

Zero to 60 mph: 5.8 sec

Zero to 100 mph: 14.5 sec

Zero to 130 mph: 31.0 sec

Street start, 5–60 mph: 6.1 sec

Standing ¼-mile: 14.3 sec @ 99 mph

You know, average family sedans with automatics are getting way too fast nowadays. Wonder when Subaru will throw some more power at the LGT.

New Altima has 270HP, correct?

Yes, the Subaru is a much better candidate if you are going to modify. Yes the Legacy is a better starting point for a more balanced performance vehicle. Yes AWD is a huge advantage to some. Yes you can't shut off the Camry's stability control.

But the Camry gets better fuel economy (22/31), is faster from anything but a dead stop versus a manual LGT, is larger on the inside, has more goodies, stops shorter, and runs on 87 octane.

Cmon Subaru, beg/borrow/steal direct injection from Toyota and give us another 40HP or so already. Sharpen up the suspension a bit more on the performance models, throw on better stock tires, and improve brake and steering feel.

Subaru is going to feel the pinch with Legacy sales if they don't keep up with real upgrades if all they can offer that's better than the competition is a better platform to modify and AWD.

If you want the LGT to go faster, just stop driving 2 of the wheels. AWD is heavier and more inefficient due to drivetrain loss.

Put the two cars on a dirt road or any other adverse conditions and see which car is faster.

Of course those numbers are only in a straight line. I don't drive in straight lines, much, but what happens when you start driving through things call corners and turns?

But the Camry gets better fuel economy (22/31), is faster from anything but a dead stop versus a manual LGT, is larger on the inside, has more goodies, stops shorter, and runs on 87 octane.

I thought the point of a turbo vs. more cylinder was that a smaller displacement would yield better gas mileage? Same idea with a supercharger. More air = better no?

The Camry also has a 6 speed auto. Which makes a dif.

I thought the point of a turbo vs. more cylinder was that a smaller displacement would yield better gas mileage? Same idea with a supercharger. More air = better no?

The Camry also has a 6 speed auto. Which makes a dif.

In order to get more power from that air, more fuel is also required negating any potential fuel savings. The NA motor also doesn't have to contend with the extra exhaust restriction of the turbocharger to vent spent gasses. This allows the NA motor to not work as hard at cruising speed as our motor does at cruising speed off boost. Superchargers waste even more fuel as they are belt driven off of the crank, and are always taking a parasitic cut of power and fuel.

Corners? Most people don't push their cars that far to the limit. Hell, the stock LGT isn't all that hot stock with RE92s and the soft suspension. How about braking? LGT is horrible stock. Family sedans and many SUVs can outbrake it. Should folks have to go to the aftermarket right away for a fix? How many are willing?

Yes, the Legacy is a better platform to mod and the AWD is a huge plus...but the market isn't big enough for Subaru to survive if the Legacy is beaten in every other area: fuel economy, braking, interior size, acceleration, ability to use cheap gas, blahblahblah...

With all of the disadvantages the LGT has and if Subaru doesn't want to compete head-on, go for the performance then. Use direct injection to get the 275HP without hurting fuel economy while widening the area under the curve. Get better OEM tires on the car and get better braking numbers. Improve/sharpen steering and braking feel, along with suspension so it feels less like a Camry and more like a BMW.

You are forgetting Subaru isn't trying to compete with the Camry and the Accord. They tried to do that back in the late 80's/early 90's and failed miserably. That's when they dumped the FWD cars and went after the AWD market.

If you want the LGT to go faster, just stop driving 2 of the wheels.

but then it wouldn't be a Subaru. i say up the engine to 3.5l turbo and be done with it. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

The LGT is fast to me, arent they running like a 14.1 quarter mile? PLus you can get a jump off the line in a camry like you can in a LGT. All these companies keep addding HP to the front wheels... Honda, Acura, Toyota, Nissan.... and there is sooooo much torque steer!

As much as I like to stick up for Subaru, they do need to up the power on the Legacy. At least 260 stock for the turbo IMO. I don't know what's so tough about making little evolutionary changes like that every yr. It can't be that tough. Direct injection is different though. I'm talking about other things.

It's the large exhaust manifold. It keeps the turbo lag from being acceptable. Also the head design sucks. If they redesigned the exhaust ports and tucked two small turbos under the car, it would be fast.. very fast.

just make the engine bigger. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

Yeah let's have a 7 liter engine making 150hp, go american muscle.. This is 2007, we can make it better, stronger, faster, we have the technology.

How about a 7 liter engine making 505hp, getting 28mpg hwy, fitting into a fairly compact space, and not weighing all that much? I think it's called an LS7. Yep that American muscle sure does suck some ass, well that and the LGT's doors off.:lol:

Yeah let's have a 7 liter engine making 150hp, go american muscle.. This is 2007, we can make it better, stronger, faster, we have the technology.

what is wrong with you have a bad experience with a V-8? :lol: bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

what is wrong with you have a bad experience with a V-8? :lol: bosco

Probably feels the same way about pushrods as I used to. Until I stopped and though about what the goal of an engine is in the context of a vehicle. The engine's job is to propell the vehicle, and so long as the engine is efficient at making useful flexible power, fits in the available design space, doesn't weigh so much that it upsets vehicle dynamics, and is reliable; then I don't care howit is designed. If some engine builder can figure out a way to make a 16L engine that fits into a normal sized engine bay, gets 26+mpg, and makes 1200hp I don't think anyone will care if it uses push rods.

How about a 7 liter engine making 505hp, getting 28mpg hwy, fitting into a fairly compact space, and not weighing all that much? I think it's called an LS7. Yep that American muscle sure does suck some ass, well that and the LGT's doors off.:lol:

Yeah let's add 200+lbs of heavy metal to the front of the LGT with twice the center of gravity and twice as deep. Why not just hang a boat anchor off the front bumper? Talk about a pig...

Archived