LegacyGT.com

07 Radio problems

BigJack

Ok...turned the key to the on position today...very cold out....had presets....started car. ....no presets.......twice today....Im just waiting til my first oil change them im going to get them to look at it...once the radio is fixed im going to just go aftermarket...

The problem is while starting...im thinking low battery or a heavy amp draw thats causing the radio to temporarily lose power....kinda wierd that my clock is fine though...must be on some sort of backup

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So the guys with the preset-battery drain problem...do you have the premium radio or the stock radio?

I have the premium...built in satellite, etc....and they replaced it. I'm still thinking somethings wrong because of the slow cranking if the car has sat for awhile...haven't lost the presets since they replaced the radio, but something is still wrong.

So the guys with the preset-battery drain problem...do you have the premium radio or the stock radio?

I have the premium...built in satellite, etc....and they replaced it. I'm still thinking somethings wrong because of the slow cranking if the car has sat for awhile...haven't lost the presets since they replaced the radio, but something is still wrong.

I have an '07 LGT with the stock sub but I did not get the satellite radio. I'm not so sure it is the radio at this point.

I had my radio replaced (or so they said) at 400 miles and all was fine for a few weeks. Then on a cold morning, I got in, started the car, turned on the wiper heater, seat heater, radio, and rear defrost. When I hit the button for the front defrost, my radio flickered out and came back on but with no presets. Sounds like a short in the middle console somewhere, possibly the climate control system...but then why does it only seem to happen when it's cold out? Seems like if it is a short, it'd happen randomly in all temperatures.

I don't know, I'm completely confused at this point. I guess the best I can hope for is it was the radio but the tech that replaced it created a short that will be easy to find. It goes to the dealer tomorrow so they can keep it for a day to track down the problem. I hope I get an STi loaner car!

Mine is a limited...so I guess it's the "premium". It's the 6 disk, it has satellite capability, but I didnt get that option. I also found that I dont have probs with flickering at all, just no presets...I also dont know about the slow cranking though, I use the factory remote start.:wub:

OK guys, do all of you turn on other things when its cold? Like does everyone turn on the rear window defroster? Or the heated seats? Lets see if we can narrow it down some more for you guys. Just keep your post simple, do it like the example below.

Car: 07 LGT

Radio: 6cd w/ XM, OEM sub, etc

Miles: Miles on this radio

Replacement: How many times you have had it replaced

Routine: List your start up routine, like what things you turn on, etc

Hopefully we can find some kind of common thing that might help narrow down the problem.

:dm: 2007 DGM LGT :dm:

:icon_twis 2003 Suzuki SV650S :icon_twis

Nothing on when i start the car. I have the regular radio...i want to take it out soon ..but im worried the problem may be something other than the radio and i put a new one in they will try to blame me.

First Time:

Radio: 6cd w/sub. I didn't get the satellite option.

Miles: 400

Replacement: 0

Routine: Turned on the car, radio and climate control were already on. Car was slow cranking and when radio came on, no presets.

Second Time:

Radio: 6cd w/sub. I didn't get the satellite option.

Miles: 1600

Replacement: 1

Routine: Everything was off. Turned on the car, then wiper heater, rear defroster, and driver's heated seat. Car was on and running and I pressed the front defroster button. Radio flickered out and came back on with no presets. I didn't notice any dimming of the lights or change in engine noise so it doesn't seem like a battery issue to me.

Radio: 6cd w/ XM (dealership install), remote start (factory install) and extra perimeter alarm (factory install). Also has aux mode. No sub.

Miles: 825

Replacement: none, dealer can not find problem!

Routine: The presets are lost with remote or manual start. I decided not to use remote start when I noticed this problem. When I start with key, I noticed a slower crank (1st time in morning) then the rest of the day. We had a 2 week cold snap (-10f). Since it warmed up it has not lost presets. The first 3 weeks with car (33miles -500 miles) I lost presets and bass, treble etc... also the SRS WOW setting and one time the radio tried to eject a disc but I stopped it 8 times this has happened. So far, I have gone almost 2 weeks with no loss of presets. I always turn things off or down (climate control) each night. So, after car starts and run 30 secs, I then bring on the heated seat and fan speed and radio etc... I just disabled the DRL 2 days ago. I hope that helps. I have never noticed a flicker in the radio.

I doubt they'll do a recall for the radio loosing it's presets. It'll just go into a common problem folder and they'll go back to the supplier and beat them up for giving them radios that loose the presets when the battery voltage dips.

I just started having the problem myself.

Mine had the same symptoms for about a month, on and off. It turned out to be a bad battery. I have not had any further problems since it was replced about a month ago.

-Karen in AZ-

Mine had the same symptoms for about a month, on and off. It turned out to be a bad battery. I have not had any further problems since it was replced about a month ago.

-Karen in AZ-

Did the dealer check your battery first and then replace? The reason I ask is they are telling me my battery checks out fine so at this point they are not gonna replace it. I was just wondering if your's checked bad or not...

• 2 weeks later...
Did the dealer check your battery first and then replace? The reason I ask is they are telling me my battery checks out fine so at this point they are not gonna replace it. I was just wondering if your's checked bad or not...

I guess I was lucky. The dealership saw the battery had the correct readings, but the car not being able to turn over was solid proof that the battery indeed was bad. They put a new battery in and I've been problem free.

I got my car back from the dealer and they said they replaced the battery. Funny thing is, everything was exactly how I set it. I still had my presets, SRS WOW enabled, Bass, Treble, Middle were all still set. How can this be if they supposedly replaced the battery? I called the dealership and they said that they write down the presets before and set them afterwards. Hmmmm...didn't happen that way last time I took it in! And even if they do the presets, I doubt a tech will take the time to reset all the audio settings as well.

Smells like bull to me. I'm not mad they did not replace the battery since it is warmer out now and I'm sure I won't have problems until next winter but I'm pretty pissed they lied to me. Can I contact SOA on this? Maybe the tech is saying he is replacing batteries but is selling them elsewhere?! I don't know, that is just one of the scenarios running through my head. What would you guys do?

I got my car back from the dealer and they said they replaced the battery. Funny thing is, everything was exactly how I set it. I still had my presets, SRS WOW enabled, Bass, Treble, Middle were all still set. How can this be if they supposedly replaced the battery? I called the dealership and they said that they write down the presets before and set them afterwards. Hmmmm...didn't happen that way last time I took it in! And even if they do the presets, I doubt a tech will take the time to reset all the audio settings as well.

Smells like bull to me. I'm not mad they did not replace the battery since it is warmer out now and I'm sure I won't have problems until next winter but I'm pretty pissed they lied to me. Can I contact SOA on this? Maybe the tech is saying he is replacing batteries but is selling them elsewhere?! I don't know, that is just one of the scenarios running through my head. What would you guys do?

I'd have marked the battery :D

Not sure about Subarus, but with Toyota's, we leave the engine running when we need to replace the battery so as not to lose the presets and settings of the car. But in the case where we have to take out the battery with the engine off to do other work, I personally take the extra time to write down all the presets the customer has, FM1 FM2 AM BASS TREBLE all that stuff, just so our customer will be happy. Not that we had any complaints of losing their presets or anything...

oh, any my radio hasn't lost its presets after 1 week of ownership... yet.

Not sure about Subarus, but with Toyota's, we leave the engine running when we need to replace the battery so as not to lose the presets and settings of the car. But in the case where we have to take out the battery with the engine off to do other work, I personally take the extra time to write down all the presets the customer has, FM1 FM2 AM BASS TREBLE all that stuff, just so our customer will be happy. Not that we had any complaints of losing their presets or anything...

oh, any my radio hasn't lost its presets after 1 week of ownership... yet.

Is that even safe?! Well, I guess you saved an SOA complaint because based on your post, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt. Maybe they did replace it. I wasn't even aware you could leave the car running and swap out the battery. I guess we'll see next winter!

• 1 month later...

Hmmm...thread has been quiet for awhile...BUT, damn it. Car was parked last Saturday, and when I try to start it Sunday morning it barely started. Cranked super slow, and of course, I lost all my preset AGAIN.

This is after getting a new radio like in February. It is currently back at the dealer.

BTW, they gave me a crappy Chevy Impala with dog snot smeared all over the front windows. The electric seat in the car does not even work. I called the dealer to complain.

The story continues....

Update....after complaining to the manager, this time I have a brand new battery, to go along with my new radio.

So far so good. Cranks like a normal car now, although I've yet to let it sit for over a day for the "real test".

Last time I worried about my car not starting was like in 1980 before I switched my 66 bug to 12V. The 6v just didn't quite have enough oomph. Of course, that car was paid for....same engine config though....

OOH OOH OOH!!!!

I went in to buy factory touch up paint recently and the sales guy accidently gave me internal documentation. It's a notice of price lists for replacement and refurbished radios from the manufacturer (numbers included). I don't recall exactly the context, but it was worded with a deadline for the dealership to enjoy the factory error replacement parts. I probably still have it somewhere, I didn't realize the mistake until weeks later so I figured they had resolved it (kind of just threw it aside).

I'll look for it and let you know the jist of it if I can find it but I will not publicly provide any specifics (sorry).

...but I will not publicly provide any specifics (sorry).

Why not?! Just scan it in and post it or send it to me and I will! Subaru messed up big time on this and they should be held accountable; not try and sweep it under the rug and basically screw customers over!

Archived