LegacyGT.com

Anyone tried using their stock shift boot and trim it to fit a short throw shifter?

I did some searching and couldn't find much recent talk about this.

Has anyone tried using their stock leather shift boot and trimming it down to fit a short throw shifter?

I love look of the new shift boots everyone seems to be getting from www.redlinegoods.com but I would like to retain the same stock look and feel in regards to how the boot is attatched and connected to the top and bottom.

Has anyone tried to cut and trim down the stock shift boot?

Thanks

I don't think you can really trim the stock boot for a short shifter. The boot needs to be made shorter while still keeping the same diameter at the top and bottom. That requires a lot more than just trimming a few inches off of it because if you trim from the bottom, the bottom diameter will get smaller and if you trim from the top, then the diameter there will get bigger. The nice thing about the redlinegoods boots is that they will shorten them however much you want while keeping the dimensions needed for them to fit correctly.

Edit: Looking at the boots in the link you posted, those are made for a Momo knob that has threads at the bottom of it. Does the stock Subaru Momo knob have threads on the bottom, or does it just have the lip like the normal knob does to hold the boot? If it does have just the lip, those boots won't attach to the bottom of the knob correctly.

Archived