LegacyGT.com

What kind of projectors are in the headlamps

VXCL

I'm a xenon retro person and would like to know what kind of projectors the legacy is using. H7? H1? I would really like to be able to use them with a d2s xenon setup without having to rip the whole headlamp apart and install some d2s xenon projectors out of a bmw, audi, etc. I can't wait to sell my car and get a legacy gtl. thanks [img]http://mywebpages.comcast.net/vx16.temp/animatedhid.gif[/img]

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Oh, you just want to know the bulb it uses in the projectors? It's H7.. why go through that kind of trouble to install a D2S bulb when you can just get a Plug and Play H7 HID kit? Goto [url]www.understeer.com[/url] and just get a set from there. For a minute there, I thought you were asking about the different types of lens of projectors and you wanted to know which kind of lens the GT had.. from what I know, it's only the reflector in the housing of a projector that is aimed for RHD or LHD. Keefe
Keefe

thanks for the reply i have always been against hid kits for many reasons. h7 is the easiest d2s retro there is. -h7 has the same focal point of d2s and install is very easy -oem d2s bulbs are almost always superior quality along with the ballasts - i have access to oem d2s parts 1st mod to my legacy will be some d2s xenons. got to go check out the suspension forum and see what kind of shocks/ springs i can use. i've been a honda acura guy for the last 5 years so subaru is all new to me.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

You'll soon find out that Subaru is @$$-backwards with their wiring.. I say just get an H7 kit, which is a lot easier to deal with than going with OEM wiring.. there are some relays you'll have to look into if you want OEM-functionality as well. Dont forget to disconnect the DRLs while you are at it. Best of luck, Keefe
Keefe

yeah most japanese cars are ground switched if thats what your talkin about. I had to make my own plug and play wiring harness for my acura. I was too lazy to bypass the high beam from activating the low so i never flashed my highs unless my xenons were already on. i will not mind not having to completey take apart the headlamp and mounting xenon projectors inside. with the legacy i have a head start. my acura was 9006 and now its bmw bi-xenons.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

[size=2]Xenonk,[/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2]Can you be more specific on the exact part no. or kit no. for the "Plug & Play H7 HID kit"? I took a look at the understeer.com website and did not see it.[/size] [size=2][/size] [size=2]thanks,[/size] [size=2]Landshark[/size]

Found it! Its in the Xtec HID Upgrade listing at the bottom of the lighting page. I am curious about the warning: NOT LEGAL IN THE U.S. What makes these illegal? Are they just too bright? It is something more technical like the electrical safety of the retrokit? If it's just brightness....then I don't mind. Just how easy is the "plug & play" installation? Is this something any idiot (like me) can do even if he's got no mechanic skills at all. Did you do this HID upgrade on your car? How long did it take?

[quote name='LandShark'] I am curious about the warning: NOT LEGAL IN THE U.S. What makes these illegal? Are they just too bright? It is something more technical like the electrical safety of the retrokit? If it's just brightness....then I don't mind. Just how easy is the "plug & play" installation? Is this something any idiot (like me) can do even if he's got no mechanic skills at all. Did you do this HID upgrade on your car? How long did it take?[/QUOTE] NTSHA has banned the sale of aftermarket HID kits in the USA. It's from all the complains and safety issues of putting HIDs into incorrect reflector housings, causing it to be too bright and blinding people on the road.. Also, most HIDs kits are not DOT approved, meaning you can get fined for having illegal lighting. The plug and play kits are pretty easy to install. You just have to find some places to mount the ballast and ignitor securely so it doesnt get moved around when you are driving. You will also need to look up the FAQ about how to disable the DRLs.. The only hard part of installing HIDs is NOT TO GET THE BULBS DIRTY OR OILY AT ALL. DO NOT TOUCH THE BULBS AT ALL. THE BULBS ARE NOT TO BE IN CONTACT WITH ANYTHING, INCLUDING THE ACTUAL INSTALLATION OF PUTTING THEM INTO THE PROJECTOR HOUSING. I did a Plug and Play (aka PnP) kit on my WRX. It took me about 1 hour to do cuz of me trying to be a neat freak of tucking all the wires away and such. If you are mechanically inclined and somewhat electrical inclined, from a scale of 1 to 10 on a PnP kit, I would say the difficulty is about a 3. Follow the instructions, and you should be fine. I decided NOT to put HIDs on my GT because I feel that the projector housing does well with the lighting with just Halogen bulbs. What I did was I replaced my Halogen bulbs with some PIAA Ion Crystal Halogen bulbs.. basically, I made my headlights full Yellow as well as the fog lights as well... it's better for foul weather driving, whereas HID in the fog is blinding. I think I have a pic of my car in the dark with my lights on.. [url]http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/6/web/702000-702999/702094_14_full.jpg[/url] Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='LandShark']Has anybody done this HID Retrofit kit thing to their LGT yet? If so, how did you like it and can you post some pics! Do these give just a nice white light or are the the "blue white" light?[/QUOTE] You can choose your color by Kelvin values (or K).. white light is around 4300k .. as you go higher up like 5000k to 6000k, it's gets more blue.. and when get around to 7000 and up, it starts to be purple.. 4500k is the best output of pure white light. My Halogen Yellow Ion Bulbs are rated at 2700k for your reference. Keefe
Keefe

great info guys, but seriously i've been sellin oem xenon parts and doing retros for a long time now. an oem d2s bulb will focus correctly in an h7 housing becuase they have the same focal point. the only issue is securing them. i will just rip the middle out of a h7 bulb and attach the outter ring to the bulbs. there are also pre fabbed metal h7 rings for $15 on ebay. the only other issue that may come up is fitment issues with the d2s bulb connector. i have yet to see how much room is in there becuase i do not own a legacy yet. i can tell you this much no roadblock will stop me. 1st day i get the car xenons are going in. you can pick up 2 d2s ballasts and bulbs for $200. if you dont mind some wiring. plus no kit comes with 4100K bulbs which is what is used in all oem xenon setups. sometime reffered to as 4300k also. 6000k 8000k whatever will not look like an audi or bmw driving down the road. i like the clean oem look. as soon as i convert ill post pics and info. its not hard if you like diy jobs plus i can supply you with parts when available.

MAYHEM

#122/22 STS NNJR SCCA

AUTOX4U.COM

XENON RETRO GUIDE

Archived