LegacyGT.com

Outback / Legacy Lineage?

PS: I just came from a hill run, and I have to say, considering the amount of clearance the OBXT has, it sure handles well. The clearance was also nice, since the storms lately are leaving huge branches in the roads.

Mweiner2:

Does the JDM rear sway bar help? on it's own? does it match well with an aftermarket front sway?

Also can you post a pic of your hardwired 8500 X50? I'm trying to figure out a good place/way to mount it.

Thanks!

-Ed

The JDM sway made such a huge difference..I could feel it just backing out of the driveway after installing it. If you're gonna go aftermarket front...get a matched set F/R

I have a walkthrough on the X50 install for both 5MT and 5EAT in the walkthrough forum

5EAT

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11100

5MT

http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11041

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The OBs have smaller brakes? Any upgrade kits available? I like to stop. :icon_surp

They are almost the same car. The OBXT obviously has a different suspension, but it also has smaller front and rear brakes, smaller front and rear sway bars and a few other small differences. But beyond that, they are the same car. All engine mods and some suspension mods that work on an LGT work on an OBXT.

can the legacy wagon lower bumper valences fit (direct fit?) onto outbacks? I really want something that lets the exhaust come out straight.... does anyone know anything about that?

You might check the 08 OBs. I think they have the dual cutouts like the European 07s.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

yeah, brembo swap

or buy the lgt brakes off someone doing a swap, or any BBK that fits the lgt fits the OBXT

I find that odd... considering the added mass of suspension hardware and body cladding on the OB that they would go with smaller brakes. Are the larger brakes GT specific on the Legacy? Perhaps they are upgraded on the OBXT?

Try driving over 6" high ice berms, and parking in a lot with high snow banks without breaking the fascia in an LGT.

I don't do that. I guess you must be doing it all the time to warrant driving Outback year around.

Or driving down a gravel road with four huimans and weekend camping gear.
Don't see a problem with LGT at stock height in such scenario.

The OB wagon handling doesn't suck. The rear end is not as buttoned down at high speeds as the LGT - duh. My personal opinion is that SOA made a big mistake by going up an inch from the Gen I and II Outbacks,

With this I agree.

but if it bothers you it's easily fixed.

How easily? No reasonable/affordable OB specific suspension upgrades yet. MR coilovers (if any good) are in the works. Bilstein struts are Japan only and overpriced (and don't lower the car).

Here's a sucky Outback driving around a 1/4 test track at Lime Rock, at the same rate as a BMW Z3 - so the BMW must really suck, right?

A poor workman blames his tools.

Like that proves anything. Same driver drove both cars?

Archived