LegacyGT.com

Good bike roof rack for the sedan? Opinions please.

Bdubs

Anyone have a mountain bike roof mounted rack for their 05+ Legacy sedan? I'm looking to get one, but I'm not quite sure which is the best. I want one that I can remove for the winter, so semi permanent would be something I'm looking for.

^^^^^^^^^^

I do not currently own one, but am looking for deals on the Yakima Q-Tower setup with Q53 clips. A couple of my friends have them and they're quality kit. In fact, one of my buddies hasn't removed them from his Pathfinder since he purchased the rack. I'm sure that there is paint damage, but he doesn't really care about the vehicle.

As far as MTB attachments go, the Sprocket Rocket looks to be the ones for me since they're silver and will match my car.

-Jim

I have a thule

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/Bu11dogg2/DSC00706-1.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/Bu11dogg2/DSC00046.jpg

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f43/Bu11dogg2/DSC00045.jpg

Its quite expensive and I already broke one tray....

Def search around for prices. The highest I found was $900 and the lowest was $600

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

That looks nice. I know they are really pricey, either a yakima or thule will run around $500 at the cheapest.

I originally wanted one for my wagon, but I just throw it in the back, and it fits just fine with the front wheel removed. Its still just as expensive to get the crossbars for the wagon because I already have the factory roof rack. Crazy. Thanks for the pics.

Sorry for the thread-jack, but to all those Thule owners out there, how do the crossbars work with LGT's contour? My impression with the Yakima round bars is that it doesn't really matter what roof counter you have whereas the Thule's rectangular units "might" pose a bit of a problem.

Even though I'm looking for the Yakima Q-Towers, a Thule 400XT kit is definately not out of the question.

I just got the thule rack using the big mouth for my bike..It was a pain to get on, mainly because it's been 10 degrees here in NY and it's not much warmer in the garage, but just to get the nuts to thread right into the bolts took a lot of finesse..It's a solid rack and worth all the hassel of trying to get them on (some people say it took them 15 mins to install, took me well over an hour)

as for the contour of the car, you have to be pretty precise on the spacing measurements of the mounts and bars..all of that is in the instructions and I havent had a problem with anything lining up (thule even provides a tape measure)..when I was putting the big mouth rack on I thought I might run into that problem, but the rack actually pivots and locks to stay level across the bars

can any thule owners suggest any maintenance for the rack system? I'm not really planning on taking it off since I bike and snowboard a lot (and it was such a pain in the ass to get on at first), but I dont want to ruin the finish..any suggestions?

Sorry for the thread-jack, but to all those Thule owners out there, how do the crossbars work with LGT's contour? My impression with the Yakima round bars is that it doesn't really matter what roof counter you have whereas the Thule's rectangular units "might" pose a bit of a problem.

Even though I'm looking for the Yakima Q-Towers, a Thule 400XT kit is definately not out of the question.

it clamps over the window frame and contoured rubber piece goes over the hump

Need forum help? Private Message legGTLT

Anyone have a mountain bike roof mounted rack for their 05+ Legacy sedan? I'm looking to get one, but I'm not quite sure which is the best. I want one that I can remove for the winter, so semi permanent would be something I'm looking for.

I have also been looking for a rack system for my sedan, I have found OEM squar cross bar systems. Subaru part number# E3610LE000

http://subaru.autowebaccessories.com/store/subaru-legacy-outback-cross-bars-prod181_1243.php

There are kits for bike/ski/snowboard/etc that fit this system. I asume Subaru parts will work with this E3610LE000 rack.

I have also been looking for a rack system for my sedan, I have found OEM squar cross bar systems. Subaru part number# E3610LE000

http://subaru.autowebaccessories.com/store/subaru-legacy-outback-cross-bars-prod181_1243.php

There are kits for bike/ski/snowboard/etc that fit this system. I asume Subaru parts will work with this E3610LE000 rack.

Wow, I didn't realize this was for the sedan as well, I clicked on the bike carrier, and it had an option of either sedan or wagon. But, does anyone have this? I wonder what the quality is compared to a yakima or thule rack, I mean its drastically cheaper, ~$200.

Before I got the thule I wanted to see if the dealer could put a stock rack on, but after talking with some people the thule will last forever and is more versatile than a factory rack..it's a little expensive, but if you're going to be using the rack a lot I would say just go with the thule..plus if you ever change cars you can keep the thule (would just need to get new $50 fit kit)

That is for a 2000-2004.... they don't make a kit for the 05+ sedan (atleast they didn't when I purchased my 06). The subaru accessories guide was incorrect at the time I bought the car. I made the roof rack part of my bargaining and the deal was finalized. When I came in to have the accessories put on and I was told that they didn't have them, I offered to give them the car back. That didn't go over too well. And when I gave them the option of giving me couple thousand in accessories, they quickly came up with a solution.

Wow, I didn't realize this was for the sedan as well, I clicked on the bike carrier, and it had an option of either sedan or wagon. But, does anyone have this? I wonder what the quality is compared to a yakima or thule rack, I mean its drastically cheaper, ~$200.

From what I remember, subaru OEM is made by yakima.

I have a Yakima and love it. I have a snowboard rack and two bike mounts for it. It hasnt caused any damage to my car yet (paint scratches) but I make sure the roof is clean before I put it on. I even go as far as waxing the roof before I put the rack on for some extra protection. The wind noise is not too bad but I also have a full front fairing. I dont have any pics of it but I could get some with the snowboard rack on if you would like.

That is for a 2000-2004.... they don't make a kit for the 05+ sedan (atleast they didn't when I purchased my 06). The subaru accessories guide was incorrect at the time I bought the car. I made the roof rack part of my bargaining and the deal was finalized. When I came in to have the accessories put on and I was told that they didn't have them, I offered to give them the car back. That didn't go over too well. And when I gave them the option of giving me couple thousand in accessories, they quickly came up with a solution.

LOL awsome, So what was the final solution?.....

Apparently the 2004 sedan's roof has a different width than the 2005?..... From my understanding, roof racks are normally very forgiving in fit.

I think the subaru roof rack is much better looking, (lower profile) the one thing i hate about the other FIT ALL brands was the GODDY look and holly black cluster F*** on the roof. I mean stap some Baja lights on that Yakima for crying out loud.

I am running the Yakima Qtower/53 clip setup this winter with the big powederhound snowboard attachement.. I was really worried about possible trim damage, not so much paint because the Yakima pads are really good about not effing up the paint as long as you start with a nice clean waxed surface.. So far no issues at all..no trim damage, window contact, etc.. But I havent and dont plan on using it for bikes...

The real issue I do have is yakima does not make any type of riser for one side of the snowboard attachments so you can get it high enough of the roof to put boards upside without the bindings touching the roof.. I am in the process of designing and making a carbon fiber riser for my rack so I can get 4 boards on safely.

good luck!

I am running the Yakima Qtower/53 clip setup this winter with the big powederhound snowboard attachement.. I was really worried about possible trim damage, not so much paint because the Yakima pads are really good about not effing up the paint as long as you start with a nice clean waxed surface.. So far no issues at all..no trim damage, window contact, etc.. But I havent and dont plan on using it for bikes...

The real issue I do have is yakima does not make any type of riser for one side of the snowboard attachments so you can get it high enough of the roof to put boards upside without the bindings touching the roof.. I am in the process of designing and making a carbon fiber riser for my rack so I can get 4 boards on safely.

good luck!

I have a big pouder hound and it came with a riser for one side. It said it was for use with skis but I dont see the differance. Maybe contact Yakima if yours did not come with it.

As suggested, if you are wanting something that can be taken on and off your car why not get a hitch rack? Here is what I did. I didn't want any bikes touching the car so I went with this (Fits 26" and 700cc wheels easily).

If you like the look of a roof rack though - I can understand that. I liked the King Cobras on my old 4 Runner. You don't have to remove any wheels and are less likely to scratch you paint IMO.

hitch4.jpg.c6c5190d08616e92e460e36add824a48.jpg

1825787923_JaseSurly_car(Medium).jpg.7980ca69a1b27be781df1526118d6b08.jpg

I have a big pouder hound and it came with a riser for one side. It said it was for use with skis but I dont see the differance. Maybe contact Yakima if yours did not come with it.
Damn well that very well could be, I never had the original packaging for my big powederhound when I got it..and I actually went and asked the Yakima/Thule guy when I was at REI and he had no clue..so maybe I should search around a little bit more..

Archived