LegacyGT.com

Dynapack 5000 vs. other dynos (TDC heartbreaker)

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread so if not, mods please move it for me.

I am getting ready to have my car tuned for my new meth system in a couple weeks. I am planning to go to a shop that uses a dynapack 5000 dyno.

I'm wondering how much higher (or lower) my numbers are going to be compared to roller type dynos...Especially the TDC heartbreaker. So if anyone has any experience with a dyno that measures at the hub vs. the wheels, please let me know what to expect.

Thanks.

Not sure if this is the right place for this thread so if not, mods please move it for me.

I am getting ready to have my car tuned for my new meth system in a couple weeks. I am planning to go to a shop that uses a dynapack 5000 dyno.

I'm wondering how much higher (or lower) my numbers are going to be compared to roller type dynos...Especially the TDC heartbreaker. So if anyone has any experience with a dyno that measures at the hub vs. the wheels, please let me know what to expect.

Thanks.

to my understanding a dynopack cannot be used with an automatic transmission vehicle.

to my understanding a dynopack cannot be used with an automatic transmission vehicle.
I've heard this more than once, lately and I'd like to hear from shop owners, tuners, or AT folks who have had their cars tuned on the 'non roller' dynos.

Just how true is this?

In response to the original poster - Is the dyno about final numbers, or is it about relative numbers and being able to display/map the relationship between torque and horsepower? I've always thought of it as more of a tool than anything else. My position is not to care about the final number so long as they're better than the baseline.

-

Jim

When I called the shop to talk to them about setting up a session he told me that they had just had an auto LGT in there a week earlier and that was before I ever told him I have an auto.

Anyone else with input about autos and a dynapack?

Just got off the phone with the local shop and they confirmed that putting the auto on their Dynapack would only get power readings above 3600RPM. However, they're not at all uneasy about tuning the car, they'll just have to do a good portion of it on the road.

This shop has a pretty good reputation in my area, so I don't think I'm too worried.

-

Jim

That's what I was thinking. In manual mode it will hold the gear all the way past redline (I know this for a fact:icon_redf ). Won't this give you a pretty accurate reading? How is that any different from a manual?

Have you tried WOT in low rpm range (between 1500 rpm and approx. 3500 rpm)?

I don't have a 5EAT, but in previous cars that I have driven, the torque converter would slip when I hit WOT at low rpm. Post #7 seems to imply the LGT will do the same.

I'm fairly sure that the LGT does the same. That's why on dynos that don't use an induction pickup, you see this big torque spike in the low rpm range due to incorrect rpm being read. I believe Jon explained this in a post about mr_luv's dyno chart.

the spike is cause a torque converter multiplies torque.... sacrafices RPM for for torque

i.e., the torque converter is allowing the engine rpm to spin higher. Isn't this what I said?

If you use an induction pickup and measure the true rpm of the engine, you can correct for the torque converter.

So what about using the dynapack just for tuning for my meth system (as opposed to tuning for the highest peak hp)? The problem I have is that the shop I'm planning to go to is the only awd dyno around that I know of.

Hate to say it but for our AT it is pretty much worthless......

Get a really good street tune, as our AT is best tuned that way anyhow. Up until this month the only AWD dyno within a hour of me was a dynapak within 1.5hrs there is a AWD mustang dyno.

Now there is one within 45min of my house:):)

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

How does a street tune work? One person drives and one person sits in the passenger seat with a laptop making adjustments?

Yes...They can also datalog, and then review the data afterwards. Make adjustments, and do a few more runs:icon_wink

Archived