LegacyGT.com

Requesting ideas for small speakers/headphone options

Trent Bates

Hi all, We are going to be taking a trip in a few weeks with our three kids in the back. I've already installed the 16:9 widescreen display as mentioned here: [url="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3088"]http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3088[/url] I've kind of put the rest of the project on the back burner for a while. But now I want to temporarily or permanently install a method for the kids to hear the stuff without the Wife and I having to hear it. (Or at least having to hear it so loud.) The display's built in speaker is right near our elbows and faces the front of the car. The stereo's door speakers in the back are sort of the same only easily louder. Neither is beneficial to a relaxing trip! We've got 5 or 6 sets of foldable headphones, but the cords are always getting in the way so that's not our favorite option. Wireless headphones are a great idea but the batteries wear out and they are expensive when you are buying three sets. I'm thinking of either wiring up a few strategically placed headphone jacks, or installing small speakers in between or under the headrests. Anyone have any inspired ideas? I'm all ears!

I use wired headphones with an extension cord if necessary. It is cheap, works well and is simple. You may want to pickup some cheap amplified PC speakers to use as well. You can plug hose in and put them close to the kids for those times when you (or they) don't want to use headphones. We use a portable DVD player (so it can be moved from car to car and can be placed in different parts of the caar, like in the third row of the minivan) and the set up works very well - at least the kids like it. Whatever you do make sure you have a way to get the sound "back there" and not where you can hear it or it will drive you nuts - been there, done that.

Archived