LegacyGT.com

Slow air leak...now what?

Nachowang

So im noticing that im loosing about 20 psi of air every week on one of my tires. I have pulled the wheel to inspect for dents, valve, the tire itself, and applied water and soap on the tires which all came out negative. I'm thinking the tire needs to be remounted and balanced on the rims since i might have hit one of the many potholes around the tri state area causing it to "shift", is there such a thing?

Set the tire psi to like 50 Put it in a tub full of water and look for airbubbles. If you dont see anything double check the vavle core/valve stem. Then check the bead. You might have to break the tire down to inspect it a little bit more.

the key is boosting up the psi so more air will squeeze out of the tire to make it a little more obvious.

If you cant get a tub of water try soapy water and spray the whole thing down.

I did all this and came up empty. Turns out it was a dirty rim bead and the tire wasn't sealing properly when driven (meaning I couldn't find the leak the normal way). Taking the tire off the rim, cleaning the mounting surface and remounting did the trick - a local shop charged me $20, which was more than fair. Now, the dealer that mounted all four tires the week prior, well, let's just say they sucked. :lol:

I did all this and came up empty. Turns out it was a dirty rim bead and the tire wasn't sealing properly when driven (meaning I couldn't find the leak the normal way). Taking the tire off the rim, cleaning the mounting surface and remounting did the trick - a local shop charged me $20, which was more than fair. Now, the dealer that mounted all four tires the week prior, well, let's just say they sucked. :lol:

i'm thinking this might be my problem

I've had that problem a couple times over the years. A tire shop should be able to do the dismount, mounting surface cleaning/smoothing, remount and balance no problem for a reasonable price.

crush the tire slap some bead sealer on it then blow the tire back up again

thats all you need...

This is prolly due to a corrosion issue where the rim/tire meet. Im suprised to be hearing about this in 05's I usualy only head about it from 91-99 cars, or cars with high milage.

crush the tire slap some bead sealer on it then blow the tire back up again

thats all you need...

This is prolly due to a corrosion issue where the rim/tire meet. Im suprised to be hearing about this in 05's I usualy only head about it from 91-99 cars, or cars with high milage.

It's not on stocker, these are aftermarket and I got a feeling the seal most likely popped going through a pothole. I'm getting it checked this weekend.

Check to see if you have a porous rim....some mags have air bubbles in the castings that will allow a slow leak from the rim itself!!:(

I had a set of FRD rims a few years ago.......3 of the 4 had to be replaced for this problem....needless to say...the whole set was returned to the dealer.

When you inflate them and dip them into the tank, check around the inside of the rim itself.

Archived