LegacyGT.com

Gold stock rims...

yuhocheung

i got quoted $600 to powdercoat 4 rims any color I wanted. this guy does nice work i'm told too..

would rather take the 600 and put it toward new rims....

that's true... i saw a thread saying the price was like 200 bucks though... if it's 200 then i would powdercoat it... cuz i like the stock rims... just not the colour...:lol:

go to your local auto store and get Duplicolor Wheel Paint..they have almost everycolor you can think of, take you time painting, then use clearcoat...i did that to my Enkei RS6 wheels and they look pretty good. i got them from my friend and they were gunmetal, i painted them bronze.

091906_12292.thumb.jpg.739edabaecbca2cf57e6320ff97d6546.jpg

PA210442.thumb.jpg.caf4afb87560633b16a3205fcd3bafda.jpg

PA210460.thumb.jpg.4c1b7a20782075dde36da6f252c7b86b.jpg

do those 5 spokes fit a forester? I replaced my legacy's wheels with 18" Enkei's and have the OEM wheels laying around. Maybe I should sell them...they have about 200miles on them. What's a good asking price for new wheel/tires?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y40/rageingspirit/leggold1.jpg

There have been reports that the heat from powdercoating weaken the STI BBS's...but as far as other stock wheels are concerned, no.

This would be more important if you track your wheels or if you put a lot of cornering and braking loads on the wheels, but if its just regular street driving, it shouldn't matter.

aaaah i see. my buddy is in the srt forum and some of the guys there have cracked their powder coated wheels. guess they've put a lot of stress on them wheels.

i haven't heard of anyone on this forum with cracked wheels yet.

hopefully you won't drive your car too hard yuho.

:-)

A year or two ago there were a couple of cracked wheels... one cracked every one of the spokes, the spokes and center were still bolted to the car, and the hollow rim left the car, while driving on the road. Caused an accident, to say the least.

Powder coating uses heat to cure... the heat could potentially affect the heat-treatment of the aluminum, possibly making them brittle. Not sure if it happens in every case, or if there is a way to do it to maintain the wheel's integrity...

Paint, if prepped and done really well, clear-coated, and cured, looks better anyway.

Archived