LegacyGT.com

Used Oil Analysis - Quaker State "Q" Advanced Engine Full Synthetic 5w30

Actually, a dirty air filter won't let crap into your engine. It will reduce air flow and performance but I don't think dirt will get into your engine because it is dirty. Leaves will definitely cut off flow.

In fact, air filters clean best when they are just a little bit dirty.

BTW, if the air filter is really dirty, be careful not to let any big chunks of dirt fall into the air chamber when you replace it.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Direavenger,

I am ready to send my oil sample to Blackstone labs and had some questions for you.

Did you opt for the TBN test?

Did you opt for the Dyson analysis?

Did they give you the viscosity of the oil at 40 degrees and 100 degrees or was that extra?

Just wanted to make sure I check off the right boxes before I send my sample in.

Thanks,

Jason

Direavenger,

I am ready to send my oil sample to Blackstone labs and had some questions for you.

Did you opt for the TBN test?

Did you opt for the Dyson analysis?

Did they give you the viscosity of the oil at 40 degrees and 100 degrees or was that extra?

Just wanted to make sure I check off the right boxes before I send my sample in.

Thanks,

Jason

Yes, I opted for the TBN test (extra $10). I can't remember off hand what the dyson analysis is, but I don't remember specifically asking for that test. The viscosity readings were included in the base price.

The Dude - Two inches and counting...:lol:

Actually, a dirty air filter won't let crap into your engine. It will reduce air flow and performance but I don't think dirt will get into your engine because it is dirty. Leaves will definitely cut off flow.

In fact, air filters clean best when they are just a little bit dirty.

BTW, if the air filter is really dirty, be careful not to let any big chunks of dirt fall into the air chamber when you replace it.

Hmm, then I wonder why my Si level was high. Any ideas? :confused:

Yes, I opted for the TBN test (extra $10). I can't remember off hand what the dyson analysis is, but I don't remember specifically asking for that test. The viscosity readings were included in the base price.

I'm not 100% sure what the Dyson analysis is either. I'll give them a call to ask. Thanks for the answers to my questions.

I've had Dyson do an analysis for me before. He has great knowledge and insight and can interpret your UOA but to be honest, it's really only worth doing if you have a problem (high wear for example). He can make very educated guesses as to what is causing the problem and recommend a course of action.

By the way, most Subie engines seem do very well in terms of low wear regardless of the oil used.

I just got my oil analysis. It has a pretty high lead and boron content. I don't know what that means... actually, I have one idea but I don't want to think about that.

Another possibility is that Techron has lead in it. I put in some Techron about 1000 miles ago.

Some of the contaminants may have been on the high side because I didn't wipe down and clean the fumoto valve before I took the sample. I think next time, I'm going to drain about 1 to 2 quarts before I take the sample.

Here's my analysis, the car has about 13,500 miles on it.

C96637.pdf

• 3 weeks later...

Hi everyone,

Here's my oil analysis from Blackstone labs. They noticed that the sodium levels were high and that there were trace amounts of antifreeze in the oil (0.12%). It should be noted that this is the 2nd oil change I did with Mobil 1 5W30. I hope that there is still some residual regular oil floating around to explain the higher sodium #'s.

I was hoping to extend my oil change intervals but they are recommending that I do not.

All comments are appreciated.

Cheers.

1664204623_lgtoilanalysis.thumb.jpg.46a5aaa745c127b21d2ac501fb3d76ec.jpg

It looks like you could extend your oil change interval as long as you get the antifreeze issue taken care of, since your TBN was still pretty good. IIRC, M1 does in fact have sodium as an additive, unless they've recently changed thier additive package. There are a ton of virgin oil analysis at bobistheoilguy.com, so you can research that. You could also run your next oil change or two on an oil that is known to not use sodium as an additive, unless you can verify that M1 does not use it any longer.

Edit: Looks like it's Mobil 7500 that has the sodium and not M1, though it appears that the VOA's are pretty old. The M1 sodium levels were very low however. I still suggest perhaps trying a different oil, see if your wear numbers come down a bit. They don't look bad, but I've seen better.

There looks to be some variations between weights as well as differences between the various flavors (M1, 7500, EP, etc.). Looks like M1 doesn't use much sodium at all, but 7500 does. Check VOA's at bobistheoilguy.com.

I already posted it on the BITOG forums. They are suggesting that I get a Dyson analysis which is a very good idea. I'm going to do at my next oil change. According to the report, M1 does not use sodium as an additive.

• 4 weeks later...
I just got my oil analysis. It has a pretty high lead and boron content. I don't know what that means... actually, I have one idea but I don't want to think about that.

Another possibility is that Techron has lead in it. I put in some Techron about 1000 miles ago.

Some of the contaminants may have been on the high side because I didn't wipe down and clean the fumoto valve before I took the sample. I think next time, I'm going to drain about 1 to 2 quarts before I take the sample.

Here's my analysis, the car has about 13,500 miles on it.

I'm at around 13,500 miles also, and my UOA showed 17ppm lead, with 1500 miles on the oil.:iam:

• 2 months later...
I'm going to be switching to the Amsoil EAO12 next oil change, I'll change the filter every other change.

Want to see what the test result's come back with......

I just installed the Ea012 yesterday. But I also see that there is a Ea013 filter available, that is identical to the Ea012, except about 1" longer. Not sure however if the longer filter will clear the plastic tray under the motor.

I already posted it on the BITOG forums. They are suggesting that I get a Dyson analysis which is a very good idea. I'm going to do at my next oil change. According to the report, M1 does not use sodium as an additive.

You don't have to order the Dyson analysis at the time you send the oil in to Blackstone. You can have him do an analysis after the fact. You can just email the Blackstone report to him.

• 4 months later...

So I just got a new report (post it when I get a chance), but it shows elevated levels of copper. I know it's part of bearings, brass components, etc, but is this something to worry about?

Copper was at 13 ppm vs. 5 ppm 10k miles (2 oil changes) ago. All other values look good, though silicon is just as high as it was last time, despite a new air filter.

....... All other values look good, though silicon is just as high as it was last time, despite a new air filter.

Silicon can also be a "wear element" from bearings and pistons. Elevated copper is usually from bushing wear.

Silicon can also be a "wear element" from bearings and pistons. Elevated copper is usually from bushing wear.

What do you say, time for different oil or are these values within normal levels for the engine?

Archived