LegacyGT.com

It Freezing Rain in the NW Burbs

Mine has done reasonably well on Khumo summer tires, even in the snow we had in Missouri earlier in the season, as well as the snows we have had in South Dakota. I did slide around quite a bit coming down a big hill into town the other day, a bunch of deer were in a road cut and while trying to slow down the tires lost traction.

Maybe time to get a proper set of winter tires now that I live someplace it gets cold and snowy.

Mine has done reasonably well on Khumo summer tires, even in the snow we had in Missouri earlier in the season, as well as the snows we have had in South Dakota. I did slide around quite a bit coming down a big hill into town the other day, a bunch of deer were in a road cut and while trying to slow down the tires lost traction.

Maybe time to get a proper set of winter tires now that I live someplace it gets cold and snowy.

D'uh

Just get some good A/S and you're good to go. ContiExtremes FTW in this global warming world.

I avoid freezing rain at all costs. No matter if you own the most incredible winter tires and AWD it does not matter when another driver's vehicle with junk tires comes spinning or sliding into your vehicle.

I leave mine in the garage and I am thankful for job's telecommuting option.

Be careful. Those tires did not do wonders for my Bro's Saab 9-5 Aero in a icy/snowy mix.

D'uh

Just get some good A/S and you're good to go. ContiExtremes FTW in this global warming world.

You like the Conti's huh, I haven't tried them on the LGT but we had good results with them as an OE tire on BMW's.

Let me know how they do on packed snow/ice. I have noticed that is what we see a great deal of in my new home state, and it sticks around for a long time.:icon_mad:

Road crews do the best job they can, but when it only gets up to a whopping 10 degrees the damn stuff doesn't melt.

^^ Given that, sounds like you're really going to want a try winter tire, rather than the Conti's, although everyone seems to say the Conti's are the best of the all-season tires in the snow. (Depending on what they categorize the Nokian WR as.)

Seek first to understand, then to be understood.

In other words: SEARCH before you post!

You like the Conti's huh, I haven't tried them on the LGT but we had good results with them as an OE tire on BMW's.

Let me know how they do on packed snow/ice. I have noticed that is what we see a great deal of in my new home state, and it sticks around for a long time.:icon_mad:

Road crews do the best job they can, but when it only gets up to a whopping 10 degrees the damn stuff doesn't melt.

The Extremes have been excellent in the conditions I've so far experienced with them. They're fine on dry (V rated) and great in the wet. No experience on packed snow with them but they were great in some just below freezing loose stuff. I will do a full review in the tire/wheel forum once (if ever) I get into some substantial snow and cold conditions.

I considered getting the Nokian WR but it seems like more tire than necessary for the typical (what's that nowadays?) Chicagoland conditions I encounter. Additionally, because most of the the miles I put on are freeway, I wanted a tire with a passive enough tread design that they wouldn't erode prematurely in the dry.

I didn't take the spec.B. School was closed for the kids, so I took the OBXT. Good thing. 6" of snow, and not a plow in sight. With studded snow tires, anything up to 2' of snow is cake.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Archived