LegacyGT.com

Fuel Pump Install

You think re-using the stock sock has something to do with the pressure loss? Please elaborate. I've read several posts where folks have reused it and although it is a tight fit in the canister, they have not had any pressure loss problems. :spin:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the stock filter is meant to last the lifetime of the car. It's only meant to filter out large crap that makes it's way into the tank. (usually stuff that gets introduced when you stick the filler in the tank...not from the gas itself)

The fuel standards that are supposed to be held by all filling stations are high enough that theoretically you shouldn't need a filter at all.

Yes, not all stations adhere to those rules...but that's why you get what you pay for a save-a-lot gas stations.

You're more likely to have issues with water in the fuel then actual 'dirt'

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• 3 weeks later...

5 installs later, I solved my pressure loss problem with my walbro pump install and thought I'd share. There were 2 factors involved I think. #1 being the o-ring placed on the new pump. I was told on a thread to replace the oem ring with a Viton oring size 5/16 x 9/16 x 1/8 but I had bad pressure loss. I think the diameter of the walbro pump stem may be smaller than the oem pump so what I did was use a combination of the new o-ring and the old o-ring. If you look at this picture, what I did was place the new o-ring just below the old(between the pusher-upper and the old oem ring), there is just enough room for both and this solved my pressure loss problem. If someone knew the right diameter of the o-ring internally and externally this step would be unneccessary (the oem ring was wide enough to seal against the housing but not on the stem while the opposite seemed to be true for the new ring).

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/tomjs74/4.jpg

Problem #2 is getting the tube that plugs into the bucket portion of the housing to seat properly. What I used was a coat hanger that I bent to slip inside and put some downward force on this tube/oring when you try to put the housing back together. It is sort of a cantilever and requires some force to seat it properly so if you don't do this I think there is a good chance it won't seal.

Here is the coathanger in use while reconnecting the bucket.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/tomjs74/1-1.jpg

Here is a pic of the coat hanger outside the bucket.

http://i36.photobucket.com/albums/e4/tomjs74/2-1.jpg

Hope this helps someone from having to mess around as much as I did!!

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Install/tune with Chris at EFI Logics this Friday.

Being installed:

VF52

Perrin TMIC

AVO 245lph FP

DWrks 650cc injectors

Not sure whether to go Walboro or AVO. Both the AVO and DWrks injectors are waiting at the shop for me now. All parts new. Any things I'm missing last minute? Tranny cooler? Your donations ;)

• 2 months later...
Can any one tell me does the whole assembly fit back together very tightly? Mine was so tight it looked like it wanted to come back apart. I'm just worried that the stock filter sock is pushed against the bottom so hard I'm going to have fuel pressure problems.

dont worry about it, mine fit real snug too. And as mwiener2 said, the walbro is in there very tight when combined with the stock fuel filter sock on it.

Edit:

Install/tune with Chris at EFI Logics this Friday

:whore:EFI FTW!!!

dont worry about it, mine fit real snug too. And as mwiener2 said, the walbro is in there very tight when combined with the stock fuel filter sock on it.

Edit:

:whore:EFI FTW!!!

Thanks that makes me feel a little better. A mechanic friend of mine is going to put an inline fuel psi gauge in to check the pressure, that should tell me if their is any problem.

Any one know what the fuel pressure put out by a Walbro 342 is?

• 3 weeks later...

you don't have to post to subscribe

Any one know what the fuel pressure put out by a Walbro 342 is?

Doesn't matter what the pump puts out. Pressure should be about (43.5 - engine vacuum) psi at idle and rise 1:1 with boost.

Pressure should also hold for a considerable time (hours) after engine is turned off

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

• 4 years later...
  • 3 years later...

FWIW, I took apart the old pump from my wagon today, last Nov I had the leaky pump replaced with a new oem housing and AEM320 pump. The fuel tank and fill pipe were replaced Aug 2017.

The old pump had about 240,000 miles. Figured I post pictures of the crap the filter caught.

DSCN7869.thumb.JPG.9a144a07b83b2a64d7ed4814d896c85c.JPG

DSCN7875.thumb.JPG.22c48b46737cc1b5c49f1b67e7056f4a.JPG

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

• 2 months later...

has anyone siphoned out their gas tank? I think I might have some bad fuel issues, based on it starting run wonky after parking on a steep hill, and later refused to run after parking on same hill until the issues being somewhat resolved after putting 6.5 gal of fresh gas. I'm thinking perhaps that it has accumulated enough water that the additives might be underkill for that. Thinking about 12 gal in tank at moment, getting random misfires, but not enough to trip ecl on short trips.

TIA

Archived