LegacyGT.com

way to noisy?

magnus617

i have a k&n typhoon intake and i was trying to think of a way to quiet down the intake sounds.i dont mind it to much but the wife cant stand it. she wont even ride in the car when i had it installed(thats right i had to take it off!!). it's a waste of $220 sitting on the garage floor, but i do not want to drive her jeep, it's a pig compaired to the lgt:) . i'm a sheet metal worker by trade, and i thought that i could design a aluminium box if i had to, but i think it's going to be to hard considering space contraints.can anyone think of any other ideas?anyone have the same problems and came up witha differnt solution?
never, under any circumstances, take sleeping pills at the same time as a laxative.

Buy her an iPod or a set of ear plugs. ;)

Other than that, I have no idea on how to quiet down the K&N.

trust me i thought about it....or maybe i just get them for me so i dont have to listen to her b*tchen!:lol: i dont think i want to sell it because i heard that the typhoon is preyty good compaired to the spt intake, plus i dont think anyone would buy it considering the current resentment of aftermarket intakes right now!

never, under any circumstances, take sleeping pills at the same time as a laxative.

trust me i thought about it....or maybe i just get them for me so i dont have to listen to her b*tchen!:lol: i dont think i want to sell it because i heard that the typhoon is preyty good compaired to the spt intake, plus i dont think anyone would buy it considering the current resentment of aftermarket intakes right now!

I would, for the right price :icon_wink

I would, for the right price :icon_wink

i was wondering if maybe you were trying to plant the idea of selling it to you from your first post:lol: . i'm about to that point now bit i think that i'm going to see if i cant work something out first. if i cant then i'll sell it:( .

^^^

Ouch. tue, true, but you must not be married!:lol:

The stock intake works well and is OE-quiet until you get to the point of a heavily built Legacy with extensive exhaust work and most likely turbo work, but by that time the rest of the car will be so goddam loud, what's another few decibels coming out from under the hood...?

A CAI with tuning can net some great results, if I recall... another 15-20 HP from a tune?

is this your car or hers?

yeah i know... it is my car, but every time we go anywhere, i drive, and i'm not driving the jeep. i really dislike driving it. its slow, chunky and rides like a wagon, not the good kind of wagon, like a covered wagon from the oregon trail.:lol: i am planing on doing some mods like full exhaust,ap,up pipe,maybe a tmic,perrin silicone turbo inlet pipes and catch can and rad. hoses, along withsome good suspention and brake mods. you think i should still get rid of it? by the way k&n says it should get 13.9 horse power without tuning.

you could try a bit of sound absorbing foam on the section of hood above the filter, below the filter on the frame rail and behind it with some sort of support. I used 1.5" foam on the old Acura to silence the intake. it helps take off a bit of the higher frequency components so the sound isn't as annoying. just make sure you use fire retardant foam, preferable metalized so it is easier to clean.

by the way k&n says it should get 13.9 horse power without tuning.

As the OEM intake is no restriction whatsover, then no aftermarket intake can give any more hp without a tune.

All aftermarket manufacturers claim some sort of a gain, otherwise they wouldn't sell any, even the "Turbonator" claims a hp gain :lol:

As the OEM intake is no restriction whatsover, then no aftermarket intake can give any more hp without a tune.

All aftermarket manufacturers claim some sort of a gain, otherwise they wouldn't sell any, even the "Turbonator" claims a hp gain :lol:

I wonder if their claim is based on some leaning of the AFR and advancement of timing caused by decreased flow metering. The stock mapping is pretty rich, there's room to play. They could be using a bit of the safety margin to gain some power. There may be no less head loss with the KN filter but if it reads less airflow the timing will advance and fuel will get pulled.

I wonder if their claim is based on some leaning of the AFR and advancement of timing caused by decreased flow metering. The stock mapping is pretty rich, there's room to play. They could be using a bit of the safety margin to gain some power. There may be no less head loss with the KN filter but if it reads less airflow the timing will advance and fuel will get pulled.

Then you start to get -ve knock correction and it pulls timing, I posted the logs here somewhere.

Archived