LegacyGT.com

Does anyone check there LGT for door dings every time you come back ?

Not saying what you did was right, wrong, justified, or not. But what if she sees the paint damage and still doesn't get it? That is, doesn't equate what she did (in her mind, it wasn't wrong or she didn't perceive damage), with what she got.

So, what's the right level of retribution? Something not excessive. Won't get you arrested if caught. Sends the right message, but doesn't escalate.

Paint damage equals paint damage. His zeal and intent balanced out her carelessness and indifference. While not condoning illegal activity, I would stop short of calling it excessive. Leaving the scene of an accident is a serious crime. She knew she had hit a car but didn't care. Maybe she checked for damage and didn't think it was serious enough to follow up with a note, maybe she checked for damage and decided it wasn't serious enough to go park somewhere else. It would be nice to think she learned something from that night- if she was upset about her car's paint being damaged, perhaps she'll be a little more careful in the future, or at least more considerate.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think your average numbskull has a threshold of apathy that needs to be crossed in order to get his attention. If this woman didn't get the message that John523 (more correctly the mysterious, uncontrollable, external force that took over his arm) tried to send her, then she is simply untrainable. Damage more front-end specific might have given her an easier time understanding the message, though.

I agree, she is an inconsiderate idiot with no driving skill, but so are 95% of the other people out there. The main responsibility of your car not receiving any damage when left in public lies with you to leave it in a safe place.

I agree entirely. It does nothing, though, to mitigate the responsibility of the person who collides with another vehicle and leaves the scene. They are two entirely different things. One is the general responsibility of a property owner and the other is a criminal act.

I just have a interesting story to tell. Basically me and my friend went inside my car and we headed to the dorms to pick up a friend of mine which we were planning on heading out. So anyways I drive up and I see a JUNKER Toyota crammed full of kids at least 10 kids were in the car. (by the way I'm deaf and so is this guy) Anyways this guy crams as many people as possible and I see them ready to leave so I waited for them to back up and head around away from the dorms so my car is a bit more than 50 to 60 feet from his bumper so I just decided to wait and and let him leave so i can occupy his space since the street is circular anyways he just backs up in reverse going 25 mph and he hits my bumper with a THUD(ofc I honked the horn) then I was soooo PISSED OFF:mad: I just put my car in park and walked out and I just yelled at that guy he's just a plain old redneck who doesn't give a damn I asked him for insurance and he said he doesnt' have it so then I just went to the bumper of my LGT which is a white car and there is no dents or paint chips so I was a bit happy but still mad at that idiot driver for going back so far and fast when he can only go back like 5 feet and move forward.. it was his fault for cramming too many people and he can't even see shit. So from this experience I'm more careful around people and I dont' even trust them to be doing stupid stuff:(

The problem with all this business of being Judge and executioner is that nobody even knows if she was ever aware that she hit John523's car. She may have NO idea at all. NO reason to stay. NO reason to leave a note. NO idea as of why some #$#@ vandalized her car. Hang, she could have been as proud of that car as John523 was of his. She learned no lesson, other than believing that crime rates rates are up.

Even if she was knowingly guilty the punishment was excessive and was NOT john523's to meter out.

Where does something like this stop?

Lets discuss another real situation.

I was hit by a woman driver while a pedestrian < 2 years ago. She crushed my leg, degloving it (pulled the skin off). I spent 3 months in the hospital recovering. I lost 60 lbs while in there. I got a bad infection. Docs carved out 45% of my calf muscle. 8 months off work. I now have 30 screws and 3 metal plates in my leg. I've gone through 7 surgeries. I had an open invitation from the Doctor to cut my leg off for the first year. Do you know what that's like? One word and my leg could have been aputated at my request. One fracture is still not fully healed. ~400 physio therapy sessions later, I am just now able to walk without support.

So, if a scratch on a bumper is worth the destruction of the paint on the metal hood of the offender's car, what retribution would be appropriate in my case? The right answer is NONE. It's a matter for the police, and the courts.

So, if a scratch on a bumper is worth the destruction of the paint on the metal hood of the offender's car, what retribution would be appropriate in my case? The right answer is NONE. It's a matter for the police, and the courts.

Our thread so far:

1 poster - Flip wiper blades on offending cars.

2 posters - Assaulting offending driver.

1 poster - Damage side mirror on offneding car.

2 posters - Disable offending vehicle.

2 posters - Non-specific action.

1 poster - Attach shopping cart to trailer hitch.

And you get mortally offended at a guy who responded to paint scratches with... paint scratches? I'm guessing your car got keyed once and you still don't know why.

Did your driver stop? Retribution only comes into play when someone ducks their responsibility. Your instance is one that the police would actually care about. Had John523 called the police they would have laughed at him. We all care a great deal about the behavior in this little scene, but had a cop been on that street at the time, John523 wouldn't even have been able to see her get a ticket- one that would probably cost less than his insurance deductible. He simply traded cosmetic damage for cosmetic damage. It's not like he slashed her tires, broke her windows or torched her car.

Do I feel bad about what I did? NO. Did I want to drag my keys up and down the side of his/her SUV? YES. I didn’t because 1. The kids and wife were with me and 2. It wasn’t even my car. We were using my mom’s clapped out 97 Altima, which is already loaded with door dings. But there was no way the driver could have squeezed out, without hitting the side of her car. The wife and kids had to wait until I backed up to get in. I didn’t do any permanent damage and maybe they learned a lesson. Plus it felt great and looked hilarious. Would have taken a pic but cell phone was on low battery, sorry.

These door dingers must be stopped.

I was hit by a woman driver while a pedestrian < 2 years ago. She crushed my leg, degloving it (pulled the skin off). I spent 3 months in the hospital recovering. I lost 60 lbs while in there. I got a bad infection. Docs carved out 45% of my calf muscle. 8 months off work. I now have 30 screws and 3 metal plates in my leg. I've gone through 7 surgeries. I had an open invitation from the Doctor to cut my leg off for the first year. Do you know what that's like? One word and my leg could have been aputated at my request. One fracture is still not fully healed. ~400 physio therapy sessions later, I am just now able to walk without support.

Man....dude that sucks...Good to hear that your walking again

I can understand being upset at damage done to your car, but to attach a shopping cart to someone's hitch or to fold their wipers over simply because they parked next to you? That's going too far in my opinion. Its everyone's perogative to park anywhere they please.

Our thread so far:

1 poster - Flip wiper blades on offending cars.

2 posters - Assaulting offending driver.

1 poster - Damage side mirror on offneding car.

2 posters - Disable offending vehicle.

2 posters - Non-specific action.

And you get mortally offended at a guy who responded to paint scratches with... paint scratches? I'm guessing your car got keyed once and you still don't know why.

Did your driver stop? Retribution only comes into play when someone ducks their responsibility. Your instance is one that the police would actually care about. Had John523 called the police they would have laughed at him. We all care a great deal about the behavior in this little scene, but had a cop been on that street at the time, John523 wouldn't even have been able to see her get a ticket- one that would probably cost less than his insurance deductible. He simply traded cosmetic damage for cosmetic damage. It's not like he slashed her tires, broke her windows or torched her car.

No damage was done. A note was left behind explaining their indiscretion and to please be more careful in the future. No harm was done much like the wiper idea (borrow that, thanks) all that was required was a moment of their time. More likely they probably drove off with it still attached. If you only leave a note these careless people would throw it on the ground and no lesson would be learned. These people have no respect for others.

To take this back a couple pages... Nothing cheeses me off more when I see some busted ass rusting C4 80s vette or some ricer civic parked across 3 spots sideways. Back when I had my Astro van I would park right next to them, sideways (not dinging their doors or damaging the car mind you). I got such a kick out of it.

I accept the fact my car will get dings and chips. I gave up long ago with my WRX, it was too painful. It's not a museum piece, it's a car I use every day. I give credit to those with nice cars who park in normal spaces, in normal ways. It doesn't unnecessarily mean they don't care about their cars, it means their realists. Like those folks I try not to be too materialistic (but I love my suby too much to say I'm not). There are so many other things in life to worry about. Just my take on things.

Man....dude that sucks...Good to hear that your walking again

Thanks. It did cause me to switch from my MT WRX to my new EAT legacy. That's probably the best thing that came out of this. That and learning alot about myself, what abuse I can take and recover from.

No, I've never had a car keyed. I've had a few door dings, I've had someone roll back at a stop and hit my car mildly. I've had a car broken in to. I've had my 4 month old car hit in a parking lot. I've had 2 cars hit by people that cut a corner too short. Never felt the need to retaliate though.

For the serious accident, Yes, the driver stopped. Yes, the police were involved and did charge her. Many people have asked me what I thought of her for doing this to me. I don't hate her. She was a young (24) woman from out of province. She didn't pay enough attention to her driving. She screwed up. It wasn't a malicious act though. I'm not going to hate somebody for a lapse in judgement.

I'm glad to see that we are starting to see some rules in place around retribution. Apparently it's OK to do when somebody doesn't take responsibility for their actions and there are no cops around or they don't see it as worthy of doing anything. OH, and you have to get out there so that the second victim doesn't retaliate in return in an ever escalating war of ... Ah crap, I won't say it. No point escalating this myself.

I just hope that most people on this forum will have the decency not to retaliate for minor slights. It does nothing to improve society.

Accidents are accidents. Taking action against people who actually live up to their responsibilities isn't retribution at all- it's aggression. I understand where you're coming from with your injuries; I lost an eye recently and am sick and tired of people telling me that I should sue everyone involved. It was an accident.

Getting clear after sending your message is simple prudence. The "second victim" (how about aggressor?) has already shown carelessness and contempt for people, property and laws. That's not someone who is about to listen reasonably, but if he feels himself to be a victim of the same behavior he just exhibited, he just might change. The next time he slams his door into his neighbor's car he just might recall how angry he was the day he returned to his car to find it damaged. It's a long term goal with little hope of success and no feedback, but I'm an optimist. I believe man can learn.

bdisco- I wasn't criticizing, brother, I thought it was ingenious. Dramatic and guaranteed to offend while causing no damage. That must have been a great water cooler conversation:

"Some %@#& tied a cart to my truck at the store yesterday!"

"Why would anyone do something stupid like that?"

"Huh. Just some *%@!^. Well, there was a note..."

"Dude- you were being an asshat."

To take this back a couple pages... Nothing cheeses me off more when I see some busted ass rusting C4 80s vette or some ricer civic parked across 3 spots sideways. Back when I had my Astro van I would park right next to them, sideways (not dinging their doors or damaging the car mind you). I got such a kick out of it.

I accept the fact my car will get dings and chips. I gave up long ago with my WRX, it was too painful. It's not a museum piece, it's a car I use every day. I give credit to those with nice cars who park in normal spaces, in normal ways. It doesn't unnecessarily mean they don't care about their cars, it means their realists. Like those folks I try not to be too materialistic (but I love my suby too much to say I'm not). There are so many other things in life to worry about. Just my take on things.

I hate to say it but...that kind of thinking is the exact reason y people think it's ok to damage to your ride and walk away.......I know your taking the "high road" but...dinging, bumping, scratching and walking away is wrong.....retribution is justified...

I hate to say it but...that kind of thinking is the exact reason y people think it's ok to damage to your ride and walk away.......I know your taking the "high road" but...dinging, bumping, scratching and walking away is wrong.....retribution is justified...

i think it's the type of retribution in question here. i'm all for an eye for an eye...

if someone scratches your plastic bumper, scratch their's...no need to carve your initials in their hood.

if some1 fvcks up your car - fvck 'em back...and leave a note. "hey, thanks for chipping my paint, please see scratch below... and please be more careful in the future."

it's amazing how many of you will take the time to leave a note that you spotted some1's car, but "retribution" has to be sneaky and under-handed :icon_conf

I hate to say it but...that kind of thinking is the exact reason y people think it's ok to damage to your ride and walk away.......

Well, I never said I damaged their cars. If they wanted to key or dent my van just because I parked next to them, that's cool with me. Of course I wouldn't do that with my Legacy. While I don't mind the occasional chip or ding, I don't go looking for trouble. :)

Archived