LegacyGT.com

Gearbox Vibrations in 2007 Legacy Spec.B

rbuck

I purchased a 2007 Legacy Spec.B last month and have been generally happy with the vehicle. However, I have noticed a fairly strong vibration in the gearbox that manifests itself through the shift lever (particularly in 4th gear between 2-3,000 RPM) and also shows up as an audible chattering that seems to be present in all higher gears in the same engine speed range. The final symptom is a strong audible gearshift vibration under heavy acceleration in all gears.

Dealer says it's normal but it really detracts from the overall performance and feeling of quality. Has anyone else with a Spec.B 6 speed (or Legacy 5 speed) seen this symptom?

My 06 GT is fine in all gears except 3rd. If you shift and take your hand off the shifter, it's perfect - no noise, no vibration. If you put ANY downward pressure towards neutral - it will vibrate. No noise though.

My gearbox is otherwise fine, no shifting issues, no noises, no popping out of gear. I don't even worry about it, cause your not supposed to have hands on shifter if your neat shiting anyways.

I'm pleasantly surprised... It was most certainly worth the couple bucks and 10 mins of my time.

CLICK HERE FOR THE HOGZAUST

My '86 Celica, my GF's 2001 Saturn, and my Prelude all have manual shifters that do not vibrate at all.

So when I test drove the 05 LGT I found that it vibrated - it was the first thing I noticed and I didn't like it at all. Later on I heard from others that it's "better" that it vibrates because you have a direct connection to the transmission.

Personally I don't know how it's "better" save for less parts to break and maybe takes 6 - 15 lbs off the curb weight...

Is yours vibrating more than it did when you first got it or has it always done it that bad?

Subaru's in general do give some engine vibration through the MT shifter.

However, the chatter noise may be the throw- out bearing. Drive in the range where you hear the audible chattering and lightly put pressure on the clutch pedal to see if the noise disappears or changes. The TO bearing is some type of "self centering"??? unit. Mine did the exact same thing when I got my car back from the clutch install. It went away after a thousand miles and has not returned.

My '86 Celica, my GF's 2001 Saturn, and my Prelude all have manual shifters that do not vibrate at all.

So when I test drove the 05 LGT I found that it vibrated - it was the first thing I noticed and I didn't like it at all. Later on I heard from others that it's "better" that it vibrates because you have a direct connection to the transmission.

Personally I don't know how it's "better" save for less parts to break and maybe takes 6 - 15 lbs off the curb weight...

Is yours vibrating more than it did when you first got it or has it always done it that bad?

You said it, direct linkage on Subaru/RWD cars vs. the cable setups (most common anyway) on the other cars you mentioned.

• 2 months later...

re-birth....

haven't felt any vibrations as the OP has stated. I'm getting more of a hit or miss notchy feeling (like catching the synchros) through the gate and then an unsettling meshing noise upon decceleration esp. in 1st and 2nd.

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed." - T. Jefferson

• 4 months later...
I have a new 08 Spec.B and it seems to have some chatter. It is hard to diagnose because it doesnt happen all of the time. It happens in lower gears and especially when I decel. It has happened while cruising slowly over abrupt bumps in the road such as railroad tracks.

I think it is the standard subie tanny feel. I've had to foresters and now a specB. They all felt similar "a little grainy" coming from previous Acuras with silky smooth trannys. I never thought anything was wrong and I attributed this grain feel to the "transfer case feel" more wheel/gears in motion. I will say that the 6mt does feel smoother than the last 2-5mts in the foresters. If you leave your hand on the shifter while driving you can definitely feel the grain. If this is your first subie then you may not be used to the feel. Anyway just my opinion. ;)

• 5 months later...

I've posted about the chatter and vibration before. I had it also in 1st-3rd in low rpm range,

usually heard it the most on decel. I've got an 08 Spec B. I took it to the dealer, and they def.

heard and felt the noise. However, another member on here called up for the same issue. So in

turn, the dealer, said they would call Subaru. Subaru told them, they havent had any issues with

the transmissions, and to check it with another Spec B they had on the lot.

They did this, and were able to repeat it on that car as well.

So, apparently its normal. I was still skeptical about this, but I recently test drove a 2008 STi for

work and it had the same noise and feel. Although, I must say, the newly revised 6-speed in it felt

a lot better than what is in the 2008 Spec B. Its tighter and more crisp.

So I hope that helps put your mind to ease.

I'm pretty sure its normal. I havent seen, felt, or heard anything otherwise that tells me that its something bad, and I've put almost 8,000 miles on her since Sept.

-John

Archived