LegacyGT.com

Gearbox Vibrations in 2007 Legacy Spec.B

rbuck

New 2008 spec.B as well, and I also have the chatter, which generally occurs during the same situations as EuLoGy stated. This did not occur in my '05 Legacy GT, so i've been somewhat suspicious of this noise since I purchased the car. Along with the horrible tinny clatter I have during very cold conditions (unless clutch is depressed), i've been tempted to take the car in to be looked at, but am somewhat distrustful of the dealerships in this area at any rate.

After having the car for awhile I am getting used to it and seems to be the norm for these cars. I have taken it in and was told that it is a normal sound for the tranny. I had a Nissan Xterra previously, so you can imagine the change in sound and feel this car gives me!

I still cannot imagine anything close to the OP's description associated with a healthy version of this tranny. It is very smooth. It's a heck of a lot smoother than my buddies' brand spanking new 335i 6MT. It's not the "spec.B" mystique. It's simply a very good transmission. Document the problem and be firm with the dealer about correcting it.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

• 1 year later...
Don't forget these tranny's are borrowed from the STI, my 05 STI made noise right off the showroom floor with 5 miles on it. My 07 spec B does make a bit of noise from time to time, but im also running hardend trans mount, shifter bushing, and cobb STS. These are just " glorified " dogbox's in my opinion. Also, lets not forget we drive subarus, not BMW's or Merc's, if you want true scilence out of you car I'd go German. Subarus are notiourious for these little foybles and DIY fixes to solve them.

Archived