LegacyGT.com

Why SOA blows

Subaru does not control what the American public wants to buy and drive. Americans purchase different cars than the Europeans, Japanese...etc. Therefore car companies sell different models and they are marketed differently.

Sit down and compare an American car magazine and a Eurpean one and you'll begin to see the basic philosophical differences between them.

I'm done with this discussion.

BUT IT IS CHANGING in the same direction like Japan and Europe.

Instead of being ahead of the curve, Subaru decides to fall back and catch missed trains instead (Tribeca).

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'm telling you, SOA is PURPOSELY killing the Legacy, switching over only to outbacks.

Why is beyond me. They are the SAME ******* car with different suspension.

of course, they make more money off outbacks, doh!!!

That or the Camry is hogging the production lines in Indiana. :lol:

I thought so, but it was pointed out, that they have excess capacity there, after Isuzu pulled out.

jesus would you shut the hell up? West Coast has probably 2-5x more Subaru's than the East coast does. Why don't you stop talking out of your ass.

Read your post again,,"east coast sucks fr Subarus" Nobody said it could compare to the NW.But the NE aint far behind.

More of your blanket statements:icon_roll

I think Vermont alone has more Subarus than the West Coast.

Doubtful. Oregon/Washington comprise most of mostly Subaru's thanks to their AWD in our shit weather. Not saying you don't have crappy weather but for the most part I'd say the ratio falls in the west coasts favor.

Subaru does not control what the American public wants to buy and drive. Americans purchase different cars than the Europeans, Japanese...etc. Therefore car companies sell different models and they are marketed differently.

Sit down and compare an American car magazine and a Eurpean one and you'll begin to see the basic philosophical differences between them.

I'm done with this discussion.

Sorry, BS. I am 1/300M th of the American car buying public, and I wanted a damn 5mt LGT wagon. They don't make it. OK, I'll take a 5mt sedan in the exciting new color, DGM. Nope, can't get one in Oregon or Washington. Pay $1200 extra to get it shipped up from Cali. How about OBP? Nada. I'm getting a Spec.B, because once I sat down and looked at it objectively (and found a dealer that would put a reasonable price on one) it's a good deal. Next step - wife wants me to go test drive at least a 5mt 2007 LGT to make sure I'm not missing something that's bad about it. That makes sense. OK, let's find a 5mt LGT in Portland. OK, there's only 2, among 9 dealerships. Sorry, that's crap. You can't sell cars you don't make. Period.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Through Subaru.com, I searched through the 50 closest dealerships in my area, and found four (4) MT Legacy Sedans - three Diamond Grey and one Newport Blue.

About 10 of the dealerships didn't even have LGTs in their inventory, AT or otherwise.

I just did a search in Northern Cali. There's tons of options out there right now. You might have to drive a few hours, but just about everything is available. I found roughly 30 GT's and a few Spec B's. Get em while they're hot. Oakland Dealership has a Diamond Gray GT Wagon right now.

(WARNING, NOT CLIFFS NOTES VERSION)

It's simple economics. If the business isn't offering the consumer the products desired the consumer must decide whether to take their business elsewhere or conform their wants to what the business is offering. If through activism like unclematt is offering the businesses bottom line is affected by the change in consumer choice, the business will have to decide if consumer patronage ($$) is worth making the noted changes or not. If one outweighs the other, you as the consumer may or may not get your wish.

The catch is where do you take your business and at what cost? As Iwanna has outlined the loss of interest in the model may have been due to poor marketing/offering or poor consumer response. Is it the cart before the horse or the other way around? Who knows. I obviously dont have the analytical rersources to review their sales practices to know if it was a self-fullfilling prophecy or shrewd business dealings.

I for one knew nothing about Subaru until I did my own in-depth research and took the time to walk on the lot and ask a ton of questions. The average buyer does not and will never routinely do that. So in that sense maybe Subaru has not realized they need to move out of obscurity through aggressive marketing/offerings or maybe they dont care. I still believe that for the money a Subaru automobile is the best value around, anywhere. That alone will force me to maybe tweek my desires so I can return in good conscience to this manufacturer for my next vehicle purchase.

I tell myself that an N/A Forester is just an STI without all the fluff like, power, handling, style, racing heritage, and curb appeal.

I'm going to place my 2 cents in. But I also know that I'm surrounded by Leggy's and LGT owners here. Being an OB owner I'm the low guy.

But I looked at both Legacy and Outback 2.5i models. For the price, the OB beats the Leg by a few hundred, but not much. My dealer had a bit of Leg's, but double of OB's. But being on the East Coast area, Syracuse NY, I and the misses wanted the winter package. If we were not in the snow belt, I might have went with the Leg. Both cars are very nice. But I wanted to be warm and cozy inside the car during winter, so that was my choice over the Leg.

And all over Syracuse. OB's and Foresters. Not many Legs. Maybe it's the 'sitting up higher' like an SUV for the winter months that moves people to it. They see that and think 4WD/AWD isn't a performance car. Why the last one I have no idea. I picked the Scooby over my other choices for vehicles because it was the fastest, or zippy-est.

Do I think SOA is moving in the right direction? I don't know. But they do see where and who is buying the cars. And they try to cater to that mass. $ are $ in business

It's a shame really about the LGT wagon. It's such a tremendous road car for the price and you have to give a lot of that up when you go with an Outback. The OB shines for it's intended purposes, as does the Legacy. I would think the smart thing would be to push the Legacy more than the Outback. I can only imagine thet the OB is associated with the Subaru name mor than the Legacy?

Doubtful. Oregon/Washington comprise most of mostly Subaru's thanks to their AWD in our shit weather. Not saying you don't have crappy weather but for the most part I'd say the ratio falls in the west coasts favor.

Just think what would have happened if Tupac and the Notorious BIG drove Subies.........

And think about it - the guy is in NEW ENGLAND!!! Not in some middle of nowhere where everybody drives domestic trucks.

Next to Oregon/Washington it's supposed to be the kingdom of Legacy wagons!!

There's definitely A LOT of Subarus around here and I see many older Legacy wagaons (as well as Outbacks, WRX's, Forresters and even Tribecas). LGT's are rare and especially LGT wagons.

I still participate in some Audi boards and EVERYONE there loves sport wagons.

You need to get on a plain. I live near Boston and travel to Seattle once every couple of months. a) There's a lot of Subarus around here and b) in most winters the weather here would be a lot worse. This winter, not so much.

• 2 weeks later...
You need to get on a plain. I live near Boston and travel to Seattle once every couple of months. a) There's a lot of Subarus around here and b) in most winters the weather here would be a lot worse. This winter, not so much.

Well it is interesting that Carr Subaru does sell the most Subaru's in the nation. Not that it means anything really.:confused:

Archived