LegacyGT.com

Wheel Decision Complications

MtnSub

Okay, I decide that I am giving too much time to my wheel decision and settle on the Prodrive P1 ( a great quality wheel by OZ.) I make one last check to see weight of P1 vs similar OZ Superleggra. Ah-ha, the Prodrive is 21 lbs and the OZ Super is 18.5 lbs. Not an insignificant difference. And the Superleggra is 18x8 vs smaller 18x7.5 Prodrive. I have already compromised by going to larger 18s and I think less weight at 18 is critical to rolling mass/resistance. Am I missing something here? I like the looks of both wheels. Will run 225x40x18 tires on either wheel.

[quote name='MtnSub']Okay, I decide that I am giving too much time to my wheel decision and settle on the Prodrive P1 ( a great quality wheel by OZ.) I make one last check to see weight of P1 vs similar OZ Superleggra. Ah-ha, the Prodrive is 21 lbs and the OZ Super is 18.5 lbs. Not an insignificant difference. And the Superleggra is 18x8 vs smaller 18x7.5 Prodrive. I have already compromised by going to larger 18s and I think less weight at 18 is critical to rolling mass/resistance. Am I missing something here? I like the looks of both wheels. Will run 225x40x18 tires on either wheel.[/QUOTE] It's Superlegg[b][u]e[/b][/u]ra as in "super légère" or "super light". Sorry, had to correct you, you've mispelled it too many times before... ;) I just got a set of gold superleggera myself. Hopefully, Trent Bates can respond to your post he'd have great insights for you. Sorry I can't be of better help.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

[quote name='MtnSub']Okay, I decide that I am giving too much time to my wheel decision and settle on the Prodrive P1 ( a great quality wheel by OZ.) I make one last check to see weight of P1 vs similar OZ Superleggra. Ah-ha, the Prodrive is 21 lbs and the OZ Super is 18.5 lbs. Not an insignificant difference. And the Superleggra is 18x8 vs smaller 18x7.5 Prodrive. I have already compromised by going to larger 18s and I think less weight at 18 is critical to rolling mass/resistance. Am I missing something here? I like the looks of both wheels. Will run 225x40x18 tires on either wheel.[/QUOTE] Where are you looking at the wheels? I have been a long-time fan of the Tire Rack, but saw this on eBay (from a quality seller): [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43958&item=7928352679&rd=1[/url] They had a few sizes and colors. One thing to remember is that Tire Rack includes all the extras in their price (lugs, caps, etc). Let us know what you decide! I am about 4-6 weeks behind you with a very similar choice to make. I am trying to be patient and actually take delivery of my GTL wagon before ordering the wheel/tire set-up. :D

[quote name='patagonianwrx']Where are you looking at the wheels? I have been a long-time fan of the Tire Rack, but saw this on eBay (from a quality seller): [url]http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=43958&item=7928352679&rd=1[/url] They had a few sizes and colors. One thing to remember is that Tire Rack includes all the extras in their price (lugs, caps, etc). Let us know what you decide! I am about 4-6 weeks behind you with a very similar choice to make. I am trying to be patient and actually take delivery of my GTL wagon before ordering the wheel/tire set-up. :D[/QUOTE] Forgot to mention- there is a $100 rebate from OZ until 11/30/04: [url]http://www.ozracing.com/usa/news/index.php?itn=58[/url]

[quote name='Th3Franz']I want to see how gold on GRP looks. :D I'm considering getting some wheels next spring and it's tough for me decide between gold, anthracite, and gunmetal.[/QUOTE] I'll have pics on November 15 when they'll be installed.

2005 Legacy GT Wagon Ltd 5EAT Garnet Red :cool:

1999 GTI VR6 Black - sold but not forgotten... :(

[quote name='TeeLoo']Hopefully, Trent Bates can respond to your post he'd have great insights for you.[/QUOTE] I appreciate the kind words! (Unless you are being sarcastic. :p ) I don't really have much to say about this except static weight is one thing to consider, rotating weight is another. The real question is where is the weight distributed? If one wheel weighs 21 and the outer rim is 7.5" and the other wheel weighs 18 but the outer rim is 8" you might find that the mass that's 9" away from the hub is actually heavier on the "lighter" 18 pound wheel. The 21 pound wheel might have more structure in the center which accounts for it's weight. This is pretty difficult to determine because you can't take the wheels apart and weigh them. You might want to see if you can visually compare the two in person somehow. Like an ice skater doing a spin, the more weight is moved away from the center, the slower the spin. This is why larger diameter wheels slow cars down. Tires weigh less that metal (given the same area) in most cases. I wish I could be more helpful. I'd suggest that you pick the wheels you really want. 12 pounds of unsprung weight isn't that much in the grande scheme of things. :) Now it's time for me to get the kids ready for school. Talk to you all later!

Thanks for input all, I am not going beyond 225 tire width and below 40 sidewall so 8" vs 7.5" is not an issue. I am not concerned about 10 lbs of added static weight (4x2.5lbs). I am concerned about rolling mass and 2.5 lbs per wheel could be equal to adding 60-120lb in back seat of car. Both wheels are so similar in design, made by same company, both cast, that I was shocked to see a 2.5 lb. difference per wheel. Pictures of wheels make it look like lighter 8" Superleggera has more beef around outer portion and lip than Prodrives. The Prodrive wheel at 7.5" has about 6.25% less area for material on the outer ring than the lighter, but 8" Superleggera. I wonder if the weight specs I was given are correct. How could such similar wheels, both cast, by same manuf be 2.5 lbs apart? Wheels and tires are critical, but I am spending too much time deciding between two good choices. Tires are the biggest issue and I know the Toyo Prox 4s should be a great improvment. As Trent Bates said, dif is not so great, both are good options, pick the one you like most. If function and weight were my only decision factors, I should have purchased the non-Ltd GT and put 17x7 Superleggeras at 14.5.lbs each on car. Unless I get significant new info, I like the Prodrive look best and will go that direction. 18x7.5, 53 offset.

Prodrive rep, (Mike from [url]www.subaruxtras.com[/url] ) got back to me on weight issue and said Prodrive wheel is made for rally race application and is designed for added strength vs Superleggera. I was no thinking about strength because I figured both wheels would more than meet my needs, but it is a logical explanation for weight diff. Given lower profile tire, added strength is not a bad thing. Again, a half inch narrower wheel should help close weight gap a bit on the outer ring where it impacts rolling mass. BTW, Prodrive ships with lugs/caps etc everything needed for instal.

I had the 18" Prodrive P1s. They are some beefy, sturdy wheels. Between the two, for a Leg GT, I'd go with the Superleggeras. They look more elegant, less "rally", which I think suits the Legacy better than a WRX.

Went back to archives to read threads on stock wheel weights and it seems that after some debate, 19-20.5 lbs is where the discussion ended. I have been concerned about the weight of the prodrives and it turns out that although they are 18x7.5s, they are only a pound or 1.5 lbs heavier than the stock 17s. Yes I could buy SSRs, SuperleggEra's etc to reduce weight and still go up to 18s, but I like the the more robust look of the Prodrives on the wagon and like the idea of a very strong wheel with low profile tires. Interesting how we can use specs to justify completely opposite decisions based on what we wanted in the first place. A member on the stock wheel weight topic agreed with the 20.5 lb. estimate of stock wheel to justify spending extra $$$ for the OZ Superleggera wheels so he could cut a couple pounds of each corner. I am using the 19-20.5 lb estimates for stock wheels to rationalize that it is not so bad to buy a 21 lb wheel that is larger than stock wheel. We hear and see what we are listening and looking for grasshopper.

Archived