LegacyGT.com

acceptable UP gutting???

groff

how does this look, more time, or good enough, thanks-

(some of the marks are scratches...I couldn't believe how resistant that thing was to get out)

http://people.clarkson.edu/~groffhm/suby2.jpg

http://people.clarkson.edu/~groffhm/suby1.jpg

i went to town with air tools, long screwdriver, sledgehammer, everything pretty much in a fully equipped shop, finally got it out. I bought a wire brush attachment for the drill, but the middle of the UP is larger around than the cat section, so it polishes up the part nice that doesn't really need to be polished...so then I bought a normal wire brush like for welding, but that doesn't seem very effective. those who've done it have any additional tips? looking to get the pipe on in the middle of the week when my tactrix cable gets here, thanks

how does this look, more time, or good enough, thanks-

IMHO there is no "good enough" option, only perfection. The consequences dictate nothing less.

Back when I was gutting mine it seemed to go on forever, every time I thought I had it 'good enough' a brighter light or another mirror angle revealed a little more behind the EGT bung, or something somewhere else. I kept at it until every square milimeter was scoured bright. In addition to the brushes on my drill extension I had to make a tool bent just right to scrape that elusive spot behind the bung.

On the other hand I'm sure others have not been that thorough, and I have not heard of a turbo failing as a consequence. But why take the chance when all it is is a little more work. To me peace of mind is priceless.

Yeah you got much more work to do, there should be nothing left on the walls. Trust me it will all come off. you really need the right wire brush, it will take for ever to scrape off with a screwdiver. Home Depot has the correct brush, it is about 1 1/2" wide and 3" long and you need an extension.

Archived