LegacyGT.com

To Spec B or not to Spec B

Strabismo

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just did a search on the Holden Monaro. I stand corrected. Chalk it up to ignorance!

That's ok, the other issue I'm concerned about would be parts (no engine) availability since it's such a low production and not shared with any other cars sold here.

-mike

I thought the powertrain was basically out of a vette? Like the engine is an LS2 which isn't really rare. I'm sure a lot of the other things come from all different GM cars and trucks. I wouldn't really be worried about parts on it. I'd be more worried about someone telling how nice of a Cobalt I got then getting parts for it.

Drive both and see which one you like better. One might feel and fit you better.

I thought the powertrain was basically out of a vette? Like the engine is an LS2 which isn't really rare. I'm sure a lot of the other things come from all different GM cars and trucks. I wouldn't really be worried about parts on it. I'd be more worried about someone telling how nice of a Cobalt I got then getting parts for it.

Drive both and see which one you like better. One might feel and fit you better.

Yeah the engine is the LS2 out of the vette, very common. This is also the part least likely to break. I'm more worried about other parts being hard to come by (knobs, door locks, seats, seat motors, mirrors, mirror motors, headlights, trim pieces, etc) As for size they are similar with the GTO being slightly larger. Big thing for me is the RWD v. AWD since I'm so used to AWD now, going back to RWD I think will be an issue. Milage would be better on the SpecB I would think if it's not driven real hard, but then again the GTO might also be sipping lighty if not hammered. Both are great and each time I think of it, I come up with pros and cons for both. Arggghhh.

-mike

• 3 months later...
I read an article somewhere and they purchased an LGT and upgraded the suspension with the money they saved over the Spec B and said the upgraded LGT was much better than the spec B was and they still saved money. If you are looking to by a spec B i would get the LGT and spend a good $2000 in upgrades to make the car faster and handle better than the spec B.

FWIW, The GTO has some nice serious potential and a nice throaty exhaust note, however as nice as the Holden version looks, the americanized GTO is a bit too "soft" for my taste. (Of course I prefer the terminator Cobra over the Camaro SS's) being a limited run interiro parts and typical parts required for reparing in the future more than likely will be rare. Much like any "rare" car, like the 06 spec B, not too many red leather interiors running around. I recently went through a debate of going with an RX-8 or a AWD (legacy/MS6) sports sedan. Living elsewhere I'd probably be surfing club 8 or whatever, but my recently purchased LGT is now my 3rd AWD and second scoob. I like how AWD handles, epseically when set to be a bit rear biased, or have some oversteer from bars and suspension.

As for the LGT vs SpecB. Its honestly personal preference and what you want out of it and want to spend. For me I went LGT, suspension was mute because I auto-x so it'd be swapped out anyway, stock nav unit doesnt have AK on the maps, and wheels are nice but I coudl get them for less than the 6k price difference. so boiled down to did I want the 6spd and alcantra. For me, I didnt. but that is food for thought. Same with the GTO, having a winter ride you now no longer NEED AWD.

This thread is still alive?

I bought my LGT a couple of weeks ago already. It's a normal LGT because the only thing I would've liked from the Spec.B is the suspension and the transmission. And that's not worth the price difference.

Had the same debate here Strabismo and as you can see, went with the Spec.B. My decision was made easier with the fact that I would have to the GT from Maryland and they didn't have the color I wanted... the spec.B was 5 miles from my house. (c:
[FONT=Arial][SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy][B]"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." -Jedi Master Yoda (I believe he was talking about the search tool)[URL="http://specb.jerkerstudios.com/"][/URL] [/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

you will need more than 2k to compete with a spec-b.

interior

suspension

6 speed

rear end

navi

wheels

Have fun!

That's not really true, it depends on the person buying the car.

For myself at the time (2006 Spec B vs 2005 GT)

interior : I'll take the regular GT Ltd interior (I always want an all black leather interior no matter what the car).

suspension: I'd be changing it anyway.

6 speed: OK you got me there.

rear end: Need more info

navi: I don't want it so it doesn't apply to me.

wheels: I'd change them anyway so again it doesn't apply to me.

So for me (and maybe others) only 2 things apply to me and they are not worth the extra money.

the engine is exactly alike as far as the 2.5 liter is considered. In order to make the engine just like the STi you can do an STi swap. Here are the parts you would need.

STI TMIC, Y-pipe, oil breather tube, tmic mounting brackets, STI intake manifold, and sti / wrx style turbo. Also the STI BOV, recirc hose... and the turbo inlet hose to be safe.

Remember if you have an 05/06 you would need a catless up. Also a good engine tune from TDC would do you great.

I would say the heads are different

^ There is something different under the hood of the 06 Spec.B. Seems to put out LGT Stage I power if published 0-60 and 1/4 times, time slips and a dyno result are anything to go on.

You: :spin:

Everyone reading your posts: :lol: :lol: :lol:

lol

Archived