LegacyGT.com

To Spec B or not to Spec B

Strabismo

can you please elaborate... 'seems' - as in 'is' or 'might be'? thanks.

you missed the full qoute there..."the engine seems to be an STi engine DOWNGRADED"

All LGT's Spec B or not have the same engine. The only difference between the 07's and the 05/06 is that the 07's come with a catless uppipe, just like the STi. There is a different turbo on the STi and a different intercooler but pretty much everything else is the same.

Semper Fi.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Other things to consider. The NAV unit. Better off without it. A Garmin 376C would be a better buy (Good GPS, Updated Nav Maps, XM and XM visual weather ($$)). The Software for the SpecB Nav unit is dated 2004! My home street doesn't even exist, although I have lived here 3 years. And you can use the Subie unit while moving (no changes). Nav unit doesn't confirm the speed you are doing, a normal read out with Garmin.

The data is stored on a DVD and is not software related. Updated DVDs are available for a price. The OEM Nav is fully integrated and even takes into account tire size through a calibration function. I constantly use the Nav while moving. You just have to know how to make it work for you. For instance, let's say you want to choose a different route to your destination. Touch the map to bring up the destination/way point function. Move the map to a point on your alternate route/detour and place a way point(s). The Nav will then figure the new route.

Another neat trick when traveling in rush hour traffic is to set route preferences to only include surface streets. You travel on the freeway and in the meantime the Nav figures out new surface routes the entire time so that when you encounter heavy traffic/construction you can bail onto side roads with the route already figured out.

the engine is exactly alike as far as the 2.5 liter is considered. In order to make the engine just like the STi you can do an STi swap. Here are the parts you would need.

STI TMIC, Y-pipe, oil breather tube, tmic mounting brackets, STI intake manifold, and sti / wrx style turbo. Also the STI BOV, recirc hose... and the turbo inlet hose to be safe.

Remember if you have an 05/06 you would need a catless up. Also a good engine tune from TDC would do you great.

Semper Fi.

Here's my $0.02

After waiting some time I finally got an in at a Subie dealer. I was about ready to have them order me a 07 spec B and he side tracked me and I ordered a Sti Limited instead. There are a few things that I don't like about the Spec B like the fact you pay $34k+ and no HID's, you can't turn the tpms off, and the you pay that much more for a spec B with the same hp as a regular LGT. I like alacantara seats, but hate the blue ones in the spec B. I've known about Sti limiteds for awhile, but wasn't overly interested. Then the more I thought about it, subie changed all the boy racer stuff I hated about Sti's and made it more grown up. Mind you I haven't taken delivery as of yet so when it does show up I could always change my mind. I do know that I am glad I didn't get a Mazdaspeed 6 with all the major problems they seem to have.

Let us know how you like the limited. Those are sweet and if they were out when we picked up our Spec-B it would have been a tough choice. I have heard that the Limiteds still ride pretty rough, not as smooth and refined as the Spec-B.

Here's my $0.02

I do know that I am glad I didn't get a Mazdaspeed 6 with all the major problems they seem to have.

Just curious since I haven't been keeping on the Mazda mobiles lately, but what major problems are you talking about? I know of the following when and a friend and I were researching them:

-fuel system has a hard time keeping up after 5500-6000rpm = falls on its face effect

-in hotter climates detonation is quite prevalent with an easy to heat soak intercooler and poorer gas (like CA 91).

as far as navigation goes, you can get the single din part from japanparts.com and put an Avic N3 in. Awesome unit, you can intergrate your ipod, Sat. Radio, navigation, bluetooth, and a ton of other options. I paid about 1000 for it two weeks old and am totally thrilled with it.

Let us know how you like the limited. Those are sweet and if they were out when we picked up our Spec-B it would have been a tough choice. I have heard that the Limiteds still ride pretty rough, not as smooth and refined as the Spec-B.

I traded a '05 Outback XT Ltd in when I got the Spec.B. My insurance went DOWN $100/6 months. I don't imagine that would be true for the Sti Ltd......

Just curious since I haven't been keeping on the Mazda mobiles lately, but what major problems are you talking about? I know of the following when and a friend and I were researching them:

-fuel system has a hard time keeping up after 5500-6000rpm = falls on its face effect

-in hotter climates detonation is quite prevalent with an easy to heat soak intercooler and poorer gas (like CA 91).

I have been looking mainly at MS6's and spec B's. So I am also on a Mazda board. I've seen guys talking about rear cv shafts/ joints breaking. Also the the rear diff mount breaking. From what I've read they have had mulitple reflashes for a sudden lack of power. Supposedly the car misfires on heavy load so it goes into a limp home mode. If you cycle the key its fine again until the next time it misfires. I've heard both that the reflash doesn't really change anything, then others have said it kills performance. The GT models advanced key system also seems to have problems with water getting into the control unit connector.

I gave up the idea on the Sti Limited looking at insurance, and not in love with the grille. The more I thought about it though, subie changed everything I hated about the Sti's like the rear spoiler, blue interior, no sunroof, no foglights, etc. I test drove a few 05's way back when. I used to drive a 93 F150 Lightning for 4 years, so trust me almost any car rides better. I've been assured by the owner of the dealership that if I don't want it know problem (pretty sure he figured out how in demand they are now). I can still get a spec B if I really want to.

I have been looking mainly at MS6's and spec B's. So I am also on a Mazda board. I've seen guys talking about rear cv shafts/ joints breaking. Also the the rear diff mount breaking. From what I've read they have had mulitple reflashes for a sudden lack of power. Supposedly the car misfires on heavy load so it goes into a limp home mode. If you cycle the key its fine again until the next time it misfires. I've heard both that the reflash doesn't really change anything, then others have said it kills performance. The GT models advanced key system also seems to have problems with water getting into the control unit connector.

Wow, that's to bad since they are really cool cars on paper.

I have driven the MS6 on a closed autocross track, and my Spec-B. Hands down, Spec-B FTW! The MS6 pushes (understeer) so bad it is unbelievable. The clutch sucks, and the overall ballance of the car is terrible, drives like a front wheel drive car. The spec-b is much better balanced and predictable/tossable, it also rotates better when throttle is applied. I think the magazine testers were nuts picking the MS6 over the Spec-B in thier comparos. I was optimistic and anticipated the MS6 would clearly out handle the suby after reading about it, but reality is far different than print.

I too have driven a MS6, and wasn't overly impressed. You do have to remember it has a Haldex awd system which means until it looses traction it is a predominately fwd car. The things I think that the MS6 has over a spec B right now are price, and you can get an all black interior(or white and black interior). Dealers can't seem to move MS6's so you can get them real cheap compared to a spec B. I like the exterior of the subie better, but the interior of the MS6 better. I also am not sure about Mazda's DISI fuel injection system. VW/Audi has had FSI(same thing as DISI) since 05 and had little problems with lack of power as compared to Mazda and its lack of power issues.

My comparison was similar, but it was 2007 GT vs. 2007 spec.B. When I put the differences down on a spreadsheet and assigned numerical values to the differences, the two were pretty close in value. When we spent 15 minutes wandering around a part of town we thought we knew looking for a house we knew the address for, I increased the value I had placed on the Nav unit and, Bingo!, the spec.B came up on top.

What it comes down to is, are you going to make many of the changes that come with the spec.B anyway if you bought the GT? 18" wheels, summer tires, suspension mods, navigation, (future) early clutch replacement, etc. If so, then the spec.B actually makes monetary sense. If you don't plan to make changes to the GT or if you want to go in different directions with your mods than the spec.B, then the GT makes sense. It's a very individual decision.

Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

Since I got my 07 LGT for sooo cheap I couldn't see spending the extra $ on a Spec B. It was easy to haggle the price on the LGT but the spec b can't be haggled much. I believe it was at least $6,000+ more for the Spec B.

-David

Ok guys, here is a quick question....

Debating SpecB v. GTO I know they are kind of dissimilar, but I also have a Nissan Armada so snow driving isn't an issue.

Anyone care to take a crack at why a Spec B over a GTO, keep in mind the GTO has 400hp and is about 5K cheaper.

-mike

Archived