LegacyGT.com

Blown away

My wagon felt somewhat unstable in crosswinds on stock suspension and tires.

Now on good tires and Bilstein/Pinks is it's glued to the road regardless of conditions...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My wagon felt somewhat unstable in crosswinds on stock suspension and tires.

Now on good tires and Bilstein/Pinks is it's glued to the road regardless of conditions...

Xactly. Weight not so much an issue as mushy suspension components. STG- not really buying your "driver error" theory, there are many good,experienced drivers on this site as well as newbs.:icon_wink

Stage2.5376, TDC ProTune,blah blah blahhhh and....Alky/H20 injection :icon_mrgr

Wow didnt know i would get this much response on this issue. First of all my car is brand new (2900 miles) and I have driven this streach of highway heading to AZ many times. It is always very windy along this streach of I8. I know you San diegans will agree with me. This is the only car i have driven that i had to worry about keeping it in my lane (except for my 58 VW Bus). I even had to slow down at times. I was very surpised being that fact that the car is so sleek and all wheel drive. Matter of fact i have driven my work truck ( GMC 6500 with a service bed and crane) and didnt have the wondering like my legacy. It just a little dissapointing.

I had a 2006 legacy 2.5i wagon automatic with 21000km; had the same problem; on on highway it start wondering and cannot drive straight!! Dealer technican said that's normal as if this is the first time I drive a car on the highway; very disappointed with this car. This is my third Subaru (97 Outback, 01 Forester), never had that issue!

Need you folks advise as to how can we resolve this problem!!

:confused:

Suspension upgrade is easy and not very expensive. And you bet, if feels like an another car afterwards.

I totally agree with you but it sucks for the average person that owns a legacy that he/she had to mod the suspension to keep the car stable on windy days. I not to worried about it because I am going to do some suspension mods in the near future.

Frankly, I've driven about 6 different models of cars through the Columbia River Gorge, known for its high constant winds, and of all of them, the OBXT felt the most stable and planted. Given, none were CLS 63 AMGs, but its a reasonable enough sample that from my perspective, it seems just fine in wind.
Ich bin echt viel netter, wenn ich nuechtern bin. Echt!

My LGT does get pushed around in the wind a little more than my last car, but it's not especially bad. The LGT is bigger and heavier, so I think the key difference is my last car had a lower and firmer/sportier suspension. Both cars came with everyone's favorite tires (RE92s).

Well i just finished my round trip from San Diego to Tucson in my new Legacy and i was wondering if anybody noticed how easely it get tossed around in the wind. It got real windy climbing over the mountian crossing into imperial county and it was hard just trying to keep the car in my lane. it really took me off gaurd. It reminded me of when i drive my 58 vw panel van. anyway i was wondering when i lower my legacy in the near future will this help it out??

dont' worry, the '08's will fix this issue.

I drove back from San Diego to the bay area on I-5 just after Christmas. The wind was howling down Grapevine and the trucks has to stop by the roadside. My LGT was fine. I could feel the car being pushed slightly, but it didn't feel like it was out-of-control.

Picture Gallery

^ My car is stock with less than 5k miles on it and I have experienced this same feeling. My belief is that it is a combination of the following: 1) tall, softly damped suspension; 2) Negative scrub radius from the factory; 3) Inconsistent/improper caster.

My plan to fix these issues:

1) adjustable ride height coilovers w/ swaybar upgrade as needed

2) Slightly higher offset wheels (to increase scrub radius into the positive... this is a balancing act with ride height)

3) Fulcrum LCA bushing set to increase caster and keep it consistent

Thank you for making my point. I take it you are an experienced chassis development engineer. If not, you are exactly the guy I wrote about in my post.

Do yourself a favor. E-mail me and I'll hook you up with a real engineer. His background includes Lotus (back when Mario Andretti won the F1 title) and designing complete formula racing cars for different English manufacturers, owning and running the racing school at Virginia International raceway, a factory drive for Porsche in Europe, Can Am driving experience, and consulting for various OEMs.

Oh, I'm sorry. You've got it all figured out. Time to mix and match!

All of them? I hardly think so. Probably inexperience coupled with backyard-engineered suspension mods and no alignment.

I'm completely stock and get blown around the road just as bad as my g/f's Yaris.

And no, I'm not kidding. But I guess I'm just "inexperienced." :icon_roll

It's my fault for posting on a thread with a bunch of expert high school drivers.

If the Legacy is so bad in crosswinds, it needs to be recalled before it kills all of you. Same with the stock tires. Standard equipment for the Subaru Deathmobile. (Have your parents contact their attorneys.):lol::lol::lol:

Why did you guys buy such crappy cars?

^^^ absoultely. This can be attributed to inexperience, even if you have driven for many years, and the problems associated with the RE-92s are driving them too fast in inclement conditions even if you were only going 15 miles per hour :lol: :lol: :lol:

Someone please get STG either some medication or some alcohol, or both

My Legacy does fine in these conditions. You can't drive. If you didn't waste your time on 5000+ posts here, you could have gone to a driving school.

http://home.earthlink.net/~stan999/upload/Yellowstone-Road.jpg

It's my fault for posting on a thread with a buch of expert high school drivers.

If the Legacy is so bad in crosswinds, it needs to be recalled before it kills all of you. Same with the stock tires. Standard equipment for the Subaru Deathmobile. (Have your parents contact their attorneys.):lol::lol::lol:

Why did you guys buy such crappy cars?

I ask myself that question everyday.

Anywho, Its quarter to ten in the morning here in good ol' NJ and it appears you've already had your morning coffee and your double shot of testosterone. I heard Starbucks sells those now. You need to stop burning the candle at both ends brother...

Archived