LegacyGT.com

Beta Testers needed for Megan Racing's new downpipe

Boostjunkie

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea, I know it isn't done yet. I'm just asking if it was worth buying one when it is available, and welding a cat in there. There aren't many options for catted AT downpipes out there, unless you want to pay over $500.

I know, I need to learn to drive a manual!

We haven't finished developing the 5EAT yet... We made a mock up and sent it off but have not received the first of the prototypes back yet.

yep, i'm definitely interested in one if you get the 5EAT done. I don't want the cat though.

Wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle wiggle yeah!!!

A quick review/observation about the MR down pipe.

I installed the MR UP and DP over the weekend. The DP looks like a quality piece with good looking welds. I think there was some porting done around the openings, at least some polishing to smooth them out. Fitment is very good with stock catback. In fact the only fitment issue I had was caused by the MR UP. The studs that came with the MR UP are too long. The 2 studs right behind the turbo and underneath the DP need to be cut ~1/4” or the DP won’t fit over the top of them. My original plan was to reuse all the OEM gaskets but the OEM DP to catback gasket won’t fit. I also had problem with the OEM spring-loaded bolts used on DP to catback. I just couldn’t get them to torque properly… Anyway, I used the bolts that came with the MR DP and they worked fine.

As far as sound goes, I don’t think there is much difference if any with a stock catback at idle. But you can definitely hear the turbo spool when you step on the gas. There is also some afterfire/backfire popping when shifting or if you just revving the engine in neutral. From what I have read this is pretty normal for a Subaru boxer with catless exhaust. I do have some very muffed popping noise when I left off the gas while in gear. From my understanding this is due to a small exhaust leak after the turbo? I will go in this weekend and torque down the bolts better to see if that fixes the problem. I think I might want to try another DP to catback gasket. Paul, do you have any suggestion on where I can get a high quality one that would fit?

Anyway, so far I’m pretty satisfied with the MR UP/DP combo. One added bonus is that the MR UP and DP are much lighter that the stock ones. I didn’t weight them but I would guess the MR UP+DP is probably 5-10 lbs lighter than the OEM combo.

Out of curiosity, did you try flipping the donut gasket at the downpipe to stock CBE? This is what Perrin recommends with their 3" donwpipe, but I've heard mixed results. Sounds like most people just replace the gasket with a flat gasket and replace the spring bolts with standard short bolts.

Out of curiosity, did you try flipping the donut gasket at the downpipe to stock CBE? This is what Perrin recommends with their 3" donwpipe, but I've heard mixed results. Sounds like most people just replace the gasket with a flat gasket and replace the spring bolts with standard short bolts.

I didn't even think of that. I took a look at it and thought there is noway that would fit on the 3" DP...

Get a flat 3" gasket from Napa Auto parts or a muffler shops that does a lot of performance exhausts. Continue using the bolts that came with the MR DP. Honestly, if you don't feel like trying to find the right gasket, you can "make" one from high temp silicome sealant. Just make sure you let it set up for a few hours before starting the car.

As for the UP, I am aware that 2 of the studs are too long and interfere with the DP. I have no idea why this yet to changed. The fix is easy though, I just install all the studs and chop about 1/4"-3/8" off the 2 offending stud with an air cut-off wheel. Takes less than 10 seconds per stud. You can do the same thing with a Dremel in less than 1 minute per stud and a little longer with a hack saw. A minor nuisance, but no big deal.

As for the OEM gaskets fitting, I have had a couple installs where the OEM gasket doesn't quite want fit over the studs. I've use the MR supplied gaskets and I've also just used a die grinder to open up one or two of the holes in the OEM gasket so that it sits down properly over the studs.

Weight wise, I'd estimate the weight saving to be closer to 15-20 lbs.

chenc544, this this solve the poping issue you were having? Was that just from the exhaust leak? Or do all dp's without cat's make this sound?

Sorry Repsak. MR's stand on catted products is that since they will still be illegal under the letter of the law, there is no point. I can't say I entirely agree with them, but thats the way they look at it.

For the people running catless, do you notice the exhaust smell?

I had a Cobb catted dp on my STi and never noticed any smell or had any complaints. A friend was using the Invidia catless on his STi and sitting behind him at stoplights or even sitting inside his car with the windows down was nauseating.

I'm considering going catless on the Legacy, but not at the expense of brain cells.

I was catless on my wrx and it was pretty noticable when sitting at a light. I don't really notice it on the LGT (running the MR DP with SPT version 1). it smelled a bit on the first day as do all new pipes, but since then haven't noticed it.

chenc544, this this solve the poping issue you were having? Was that just from the exhaust leak? Or do all dp's without cat's make this sound?

From my understanding, the popping noise comes from outside air being suck into the exhaust. The exhaust gas is pretty rich when you let off the throttle so the unburned gas combine with oxygen been sucked in and the high temp causes it to expand/combust within the pipe. I have tried a lot of different combo of gaskets and Ultra Cooper sealant without any luck. I think the problem is 2 folds. First the stock 2.5” flange on the mid-pipe/resonator is not designed to mate and seal with a thick flange of the DP. The mid-pipe flange is actually pretty weak. Second, the stock exhaust is designed to work with some flexibility and when you take the donut gasket and spring bolts away you lose that flexibility. Without the built-in flexibility any movement will cause additional stress at the point where the pipes joint and could lead to some exhaust leak. I did some search over NASIOC and Forrester forums and they have the same problem with aftermarket 3” DP mating to stock mid-pipe. Some people did fine with just a flat gasket but others have the same problem I do. WBR and RandomTech both make adapters for this issue but they are pretty expensive ($60-80) for what it is. In the end I decided just to order the MR catback with the 3” flange and flex section to fix the problem. I’m planning on doing the install over the weekend so hopefully that fixes the problem.

hmm...now i wonder if I'm better off getting the megan DP and one of those adaptors, or just a cobb dp.... But inthe end I think the megan will be WAY cheaper!

MR DP + adaptor will be cheaper by far, besides a lot of people don't get the leak with just the 3" gasket. And there is no reason why MR can't make there own adaptor and sell it for reasonable price, hint, hint... :icon_wink It's just a 3" Flange attached to a 2.5" pipe flared out to 3". A decent local muffler shop should be able to make one too but I don't think it will be any cheaper than getting the WBR or RandomTech one online.

While it is true that it is possible that the stock catback will not seal perfectly to a 3" flat flanged DP, the vast majority have no problems getting a decent seal. Of course a catback with a 3" flat flange will seal better, but in most situations the stock CBE will mate up just fine. Once I get the DP's in stock I'll be offering a combo deal along with the catback so there will the option of a full turboback at a discounted price. Thinking about something along the lines of around $750ish + shipping.

Archived