LegacyGT.com

Please Help. Best struts for STi Pink Springs

mtobia5

I unfortunately don't have the time to give an adequate search, so I'm hoping my fellow suby friends can help out.

I have an 05 Legacy GT (MT) with STi pink springs and stock struts. Was using 18" Prodrive GC07's up until I got a flat last month from some severe tread wear on my inner right rear tire. The alignment must be off a bit eh? Now I'm back on the stock wheels and in a bit of a pickle.

Due to the fact that I never get to drive this car and because of the recent flat, I was ready to just throw the stock springs and wheels back on and sell the car.

So, I went to the dealership and they said it was about $700 to put stock springs back on and re-align it. Sounded like bullsh!t, but it made me reconsider and now I've made the decision that if I'm going to keep this thing, I need to go ALL IN. No more half ass stuff.

So, I'm open for all ideas. I'm thinking it would be best to just upgrade my struts, add a rear adjustable swaybar, throw my 18"s back on and get it re-aligned all at once.

Then it's on to speed.

What struts best match the STi pink springs? Price and performance are both a consideration.

Is it best to just do a coilover kit?

Search. If you just want new struts, go bilsteins. There are a ton of threads on which struts go well with what springs. Bilsteins and pinks seems to be the winner. Or, yeah, sell the pinks, (to me! suppose to be getting my bils) and get some coilovers. Depending on your need, you can find the appropriate coilover with the search function.

I've been searching all day and can't come to a conclusion.

Looks like the spec B struts are far more expensive than I was expecting. Same pricing as some entry coilovers and they sound a little stiff. I want something for every day driving, an occasional canyon run and a once every two years track day.

I'm wondering about just keeping the stock struts with the pink springs and investing my money into some swaybars.

How much does an alignment usually run? Anyone else have any problems with STi pinks not being able to align correctly? Is my wagon too low? I bought the car with the pinks already installed and I just assumed that it was aligned.

Thanks for the help.

umm...are you sure you werent reading about JDM spec B struts...alot of people say they are stiff! I would say get JDM Rev A , B, or C struts. That is Japan's GT strut and is the same as the USDM Spec B strut. The rev A are really not to stiff, if you are really concerned with in go with the rev C. Look on member classifieds, there are a few of the rev series struts on there for sale. around 700 is a fair price. Plus you dont have to rebuild your strut as much as you would with a coilover...and coilovers, like Megan Racing, are very stiff.

Check out JDM GT rev A, B, or C struts sounds exactly what you are looking for. If you cant find any, PM unclemat, he is the JDM suspension guy.

Semper Fi.

after swaybars it is not necessary. There is a thread on here that I believe race comp engineering put pinks on there bilsteins. It will sit exactly link their Spec B sits. They have the stock 18" wheel so you will get a good idea of what it will look like with yours on...i will try to find it...

in all yes. there will only be a 15mm drop compared to a larger drop with stock struts and pinks

Semper Fi.

Archived