LegacyGT.com

Bilsteins installed--how long until alignment?

jim1969

Just had JDM Bilsteins and pinks installed last night. How long or how many miles should I let things settle until I get an alignment?

what's the verdict? initial thoughts? ride, quiet, etc. bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

i am thinking about buying the same set up VERY VERY soon. what is your ride like? is it still comfortable? I dont want to be riding with the road, I would like the suspension to absorb the road somewhat but I definitely want increase handling. What do you think? I owned an STi and I would like a ride quality somewhat similar but so harsh...
Semper Fi.

I haven't done much driving on it today. Inital impression is that it's great. very smooth. I also noticed less lurching when hitting the gas. Way less lean in the turns. I already had f/r swaybars. I have JDM Spec B Rev C Bilstein struts and Spec B Pinks for the A/T sedan. Doesn't seem harsh at all but as I said, I haven't really done much with them today. Tomorrow I'll give them a workout. I also had Cobb swaybar reinforcement brackets put in and Hawk HPS pads put in. I'll post pics soon.

I think the break-in thing is a myth on modern springs. Any settle in will be very minimal, getting it aligned should happen sooner rather than later. It won't hurt to wait though, especially if you marked the camber bolts.

I haven't done much driving on it today. Inital impression is that it's great. very smooth. I also noticed less lurching when hitting the gas. Way less lean in the turns. I already had f/r swaybars. I have JDM Spec B Rev C Bilstein struts and Spec B Pinks for the A/T sedan. Doesn't seem harsh at all but as I said, I haven't really done much with them today. Tomorrow I'll give them a workout. I also had Cobb swaybar reinforcement brackets put in and Hawk HPS pads put in. I'll post pics soon.

thanks, i want to do something better than stock but don't really want coilovers, that said vendor? bosco

Stay Stock Stay Happy

My MR coilover springs settled about 1/2 inch in the first week. Maybe a little bit less. Not a big deal.

My friend had a set of Bilstein coilovers installed on his S4 and they settled 1/2 an inch in a week but he had his setup really tight since the shop told him they would not settle. He had to raise his car 1/2 an inch and get it realigned.

So, it seems that modern springs don't settle that much but they still settle a little bit. I would play it safe and wait a week.

In the last six years, my H&R springs settled 5/8". My Eibach's 3/8". My Neuspeed 1". So, yes, modern springs settle. I'd even say to recheck after a year.....my H&R's dropped another 1/2" after a year.

:confused: that makes no sense at all. so, by that logic, you don't need an alignment from lowering your car, but only because you removed the suspension and replaced it? Splain it to me..... Heck, if you marked the bolts, there's ZERO reason to do an alignment in that case.

In the last six years, my H&R springs settled 5/8". My Eibach's 3/8". My Neuspeed 1". So, yes, modern springs settle. I'd even say to recheck after a year.....my H&R's dropped another 1/2" after a year.

I agree with that accessment. I recently removed some coilovers from a car where the springs had settled at least 3/4". They were rattleing around in the perches as I pulled them off the car.

:confused: that makes no sense at all. so, by that logic, you don't need an alignment from lowering your car, but only because you removed the suspension and replaced it? Splain it to me..... Heck, if you marked the bolts, there's ZERO reason to do an alignment in that case.

I am saying once the suspension has been altered and aligned and everything tightened back up then it won't effect alignment if the coils settle afterwards.

yeah, I got that. I disagreed with you.

My megans settled 1/2 in a month, went back to tire shop and asked for re alignment, they said should not have changed, they were right still in alignment same specs as print out showed from alignment machine after the coilover install. I thought the same as you prior to that...:)

The ride height dropping as the springs settle will increase the amount of negative camber at the rear of the car. The multilink rear suspension gains camber as it is compressed. The front strut suspension does not exhibit this characteristic. There should be minimal changes to the toe settings with a minor reduction in ride height. Honestly, the tiny bit of camber gained will not be of any concern either. Just get the car aligned when it is most convenient. It can be right after the suspension install or a couple weeks later. If you are super anal, then wait a bit for the suspension to settle so you know that the setting you have at the time of the alignment will be the ones you have for a while.

Archived