LegacyGT.com

Best practice for no leaks

mpetty

OK, I am *finally* just about ready to make the jump to stage 2.:icon_twis

I have a Cobb Catted DP, an STi uppipe, a set of OEM gaskets, and a tube of Permatex Ultra Copper. (Oh, and let's not forget the TDC map!)

I was going to get the Crucial Stage 8 locking retainer kit, but they are out of stock and probably won't be available before I do my install.

I really don't have time to do this job two or three times - other than using the Crucial kit and the Permatex what can I do to make sure I am not going to have those exhaust leaks that seem to crop up so often?

Thanks,

Morgan

the way i do it is, after i asseble the headers and UP loosely, i tighten the bolts to the UP/header connection first since that is often the connection that leaks since its only s 2 bolt flage connection. then i tighten the UP to turbo connection, and finally the header to head connections. The DP/Turbo connection i tighten in a star pattern, like you would with wheel lugs.

BTW, i find the torque spec to be BS. if the gaskets compress any, then you end up being below spec. I tighten those bolts by hand harder. and the UP to Header bolts i use a 3/8" impact gun. I neve had a problem with them commming loose nor have i ever had a problem taking them off later.

I add a few in-lbs to the listed spec and that feels right to me.

Heat cycle at least once if not twice, tightening to torque spec. Keep heat cycling until they don't turn anymore according to your torque wrench.

I think I set my wrench to just uner 30in lbs if I remember correctly. I used this for most of the connections. After 1 heat cycle it turned a tiny bit then clicked again. after another heat cycle, it clicked right away... meaning it is still at torque spec.

Check the exhaust informational sticky for torque specs. use stock gaskets and nothing else.

I add a few in-lbs to the listed spec and that feels right to me.

Heat cycle at least once if not twice, tightening to torque spec. Keep heat cycling until they don't turn anymore according to your torque wrench.

I think I set my wrench to just uner 30in lbs if I remember correctly. I used this for most of the connections. After 1 heat cycle it turned a tiny bit then clicked again. after another heat cycle, it clicked right away... meaning it is still at torque spec.

Check the exhaust informational sticky for torque specs. use stock gaskets and nothing else.

How do you heat cycle the uppipe if you have to take the DP off to get at the nuts and/or bolts - do you just take the DP off again each time?

This has always confused me a bit...

heat cycle= drive the car and get it hot. then let it sit and cool down. then, retighten bolts. the importnt bolts to retighten as i mention above are the headers to UP flange bolts. you dont need to take the DP off to get to those.

Ahhh.... Ten-four! That makes sense.

Sounds like OEM gaskets and common sense, FTW!

Thanks guys, looking forward to some Stage II goodness!

Morgan

Archived