LegacyGT.com

Reason/Answer for bent rear sway bar brackets

Xenonk

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This didn't look like it offered enough resistance to fore and aft movement to me; More of just a spring leaf...

http://vevor.shackspace.com/LGT/Suspension/Swaybar/RSB%20003.jpg

This looks more ridgid so that's what I ordered...

http://www.avoturbo.com/images/stabibar/bpbl_rearbar004.jpg

I personally own the COBB one, and I really don't think I will ever have a problem with it.

I think all of the re-inforcing brackets work equally as well for our purposes.

A few people have had bent stock brackets, but nobody to date that I know of has had a problem with any of the re-inforcing kits.

I personally own the COBB one, and I really don't think I will ever have a problem with it.

I think all of the re-inforcing brackets work equally as well for our purposes.

A few people have had bent stock brackets, but nobody to date that I know of has had a problem with any of the re-inforcing kits.

If I didn't make a few trips to road courses each year then I don't think I'd worry about the stock mount. But since I was going to spend the money, I went with what looked to be best at eliminating movement.

Keefe, if you had to buy one today which do you like better the Cobb design or the AVO? have Cusco sways. thanks bosco

whichever is the bigger in volume size.. also which ever has the stronger structural reinforcement.. I dont want to use the Perrin one because it's still just using the same bracket mounting point that's just triangulated.. I want another point to mount that is more rigid... I need to spend some time under the car.. it's possible that I can get my friend to help me weld a few parts and I can make just a set of 10 to sell.. but we'll see, it depends on how much you guys are willing to pay for a better bracket.

Keefe

Help!!

My rear mounts broke on the drivers side of the car. I am running a Progress RSB. I need ideas for a fix and i think i need a welder in socal to fix it.

Please PM me.

I think the stock brackets are actually removeable.. at least from the pics.. I dont think these are tack-welded in place.. it's possible to find the part number and just unbolt the stock one and replace with a new one.

Keefe

OBXT with JDM rear sway. I Autocross it and drive the piss out of it. about 33,000 miles on the RSB. Brackets are in the same position as new. I also occasionally off road the OB and get alot of suspension travel. I say put the blame on non subaru components being the culprit.

(Updated 8/22/17)

2005 Outback FMT

Running on Electrons

whichever is the bigger in volume size.. also which ever has the stronger structural reinforcement.. I dont want to use the Perrin one because it's still just using the same bracket mounting point that's just triangulated.. I want another point to mount that is more rigid... I need to spend some time under the car.. it's possible that I can get my friend to help me weld a few parts and I can make just a set of 10 to sell.. but we'll see, it depends on how much you guys are willing to pay for a better bracket.

Shot me a ballpark price. I'm ready to pull the trigger. I need/want a reinforcement. Cobb does'nt look very strong and the AVO USDM is not in yet. They are all under $100. SO if you can do it under $100 let me know. So what do you think is the ETA.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

OBXT with JDM rear sway. I Autocross it and drive the piss out of it. about 33,000 miles on the RSB. Brackets are in the same position as new. I also occasionally off road the OB and get alot of suspension travel. I say put the blame on non subaru components being the culprit.

OBXT also have a different suspension geometry..

Keefe

Shot me a ballpark price. I'm ready to pull the trigger. I need/want a reinforcement. Cobb does'nt look very strong and the AVO USDM is not in yet. They are all under $100. SO if you can do it under $100 let me know. So what do you think is the ETA.

the bracket that I am thinking is really something unique.. it's not just a little thing.. think of it as something along the lines as a chassis-stiffen bracket as well. Possibly a combination of using the same mounting points of the Cusco Lower Rear Braces incorporated to the rear sway bar brackets.. I have to spend some time measuring out the car and see what there is to use under there that you guys can install it as a bolt-on.

Keefe

the bracket that I am thinking is really something unique.. it's not just a little thing.. think of it as something along the lines as a chassis-stiffen bracket as well. Possibly a combination of using the same mounting points of the Cusco Lower Rear Braces incorporated to the rear sway bar brackets.. I have to spend some time measuring out the car and see what there is to use under there that you guys can install it as a bolt-on.

Well let me know. I was about to buy F&R lower braces so Let know and I will hold off.

Racer X FMIC for '05-'09 LGTs, '08+ WRX and '10+ LGT,'14+ FXT, and '15+ WRX TMIC Racerxengineering.com

Something along the lines of Racing Beat's front reinforcement for NA & NB Miatas?

http://racingbeat.com/FRmiata.htm

"Sway Bar Brace Kit" - the white bar that does NOT have an arrow pointing to it. A bar with 4 holes in it, fitting between the brackets & bendable bits...

06LOB2.5i MT, JDMRSB, GYTTs, HPS, LGT Mufflers & Leather Wheel, SubiMomo Knob, Inalfa Moonroof, Clutch Switch Bypass, DeDRLd, DeChimed, & Straight Headrest.

I have the Cobb one also. JDM Bilsteins with pinks and rear whiteline adj. swaybar on the stiffest setting.

What do you think of the Cobbs? Can you fell a difference? Would you say they are worth it?

this isn't a mod you do to notice a difference. this is a piece of mind mod. I have lowered the car on stiffer springs and have a much stiffer than stock swaybar. I just want everything to stay attached to the frame. so for the price it's worth it (to me).

I think the stock brackets are actually removeable.. at least from the pics.. I dont think these are tack-welded in place.. it's possible to find the part number and just unbolt the stock one and replace with a new one.

The rear sway mounts are not removable best I could tell. I'd love to hear otherwise though!

SUBY3, I went down to a local auto shop and they bent mine back into shape and welded it back on, they were supposed to also weld some stock to re-enforce it. Anywhere they've got a welder they should be able to patch it up for < $100.

Did you have any re-enforcement brackets with the rear bar?

Also for everyone else, I don't think this is really big issue but you should get one of the re-enforcement brackets if you're running a bigger bar (I was running a Cobb w/o the supplied brackets).

The AVO looks like it'll have less deflection but a catastrophic failure would be bad, probably wouldn't be able to remove it w/o cutting. Would that happen I doubt it. The Cobb, won't likely "fail" but I can imagine the mount still bending.

I've got the Cobb ones, and depending on how the mounts look I may switch to the AVO if I see any signs of bending (I seriously doubt it though).

FYI, besides me, I think SUBY3 is the only other on the board (that I recall) to have one break off. Read about stories but no confirmations. Probably at 3-4 cases of them being bent though.

^ there's a bolt that is mounted with a bushing I take it that you need to press out the bushing and then take apart the rest of the subframe to get to it.

I was working on a local GT this weekend and the car was equipped with just STi pink springs and I noticed there was some twisting with just the stock bar in place. My guess is that there's a larger load when suspension goes beyond the intended travel.

Keefe

• 3 weeks later...
This horse may be dead but let me give it a few kicks. I'm waiting for AVO's rear brackets to go with my AVO RSB, more for piece of mind than because I've noticed a problem. I do suspect that the problem has to do with the different bar designs and how they lever forces on the very insubstantial bracket. My contribution to horse abuse comes from the fact that I had a similar problem on my SVT Contour. The fatter RSB I had installed kept popping and bending the bar's mounting pins. I replaced a few because they were pretty easy to replace. Unfortunately I had the dealer replace them at one point and they took the liberty of replacing the 22mm bushings with 19mm bushings at the same time. This had the effect of inhibiting the bars rotation and transferring the twisting force into the rear subframe thus cracking the subframe. Pretty smart on their part. I did a little research with the sway bar supplier (BAT). They had had a few instances like mine but had found that the popping and breaking generally was occurring not because of hard enthusiastic driving. It was instead occurring because of steep turning driveways (or similar circumstances - think of Laguna Seca's corkscrew). At the time I had two such driveways in my life - work and home. It made sense to me and it jibed with the sounds I was hearing on those driveways. It may explain why some folks are having problems while others with similar setups aren't. Thanks all for an informative thread. I found it while checking on the status of the AVO reinforcing brackets.

Archived