LegacyGT.com

Brembo rears???

RS22b

Obviously the STi hubs wont bolt onto my Outback. What have ppl done about the Brembos in the rear? I hear of some bracket needed, but who makes it and where can i get it and how much?

Thanks for the input.

_billy

The stock STi rear rotors will not work if you want to have a parking brake. The parking brake is basically a drum brake that presses the shoes against the inside of the rear rotor. The inner diameter of the STi rotor is larger than that of the LGT/WRX rotor, which makes it impossible for the parking brake to engage (the shoes won't reach are enough). The solution is a special rotor tha Brembo makes for the application, or getting a pressed in sleeve that Godspeed sells put into the STi rotor.

The solution is a special rotor tha Brembo makes for the application, or getting a pressed in sleeve that Godspeed sells put into the STi rotor.

The first thing that came to mind was... isn't this dangerous to rely on a press fit? I looked at the link that KA81 provided, the Godspeed modification appears to be thicker braker shoes and not a giant press in bushing. I don't know anyone who sells this, but at 200 pounds sterling, it should be competitve considering I've seen STi rear calipers sell very cheaply on Nabisco.

WRXBrakes on Nabisco appears to be gaging interest in a custom rotor for the WRX.

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1136862&page=2&highlight=godspeed+brembo

I know a local guy who just bought the Godspeed rotor inserts and rear Brembo mounting bracket kit. I held them in my hands yesterday. Actually he said all you do to install the inserts is put the rings in the freezer to shrink a tiny bit and then they slid right into the rotors. Once they heat up and expand they are basically locked in there. If you are interested in more info you can PM Hybrid22L.

There is a custom rotor already from Brembo. Problem is that they cost $300/ea.

Like other's have mentioned....You have BBK kit from Brembo, you can have inserts put into Sti rotor's to retain the parking brakes, I have also seen custom parking brake shoes.(I would do that, as they are less expensive, and I have never found anyone to wear out the PB shoes anyway...And if you ever need to replace a rotor, it will be easier/cheaper to find a std Sti one.)

My setup, was from TWR Racing, they custom made 2pc Rotor's, that have the correct drumb diameter, and custom brackets to locate the caliper correctly.

These are nice lightweight billet Aluminum hubs, and as such, you cannot use the PB as an ebrake, or to kick the rear end around.(Al has a low melting -point!) But for its intended use it works flawlessly.

I'm not sure if they are still offering the kit, as last I heard, it was costing too much $$$ for materials/machining.

great! thanks for the link. I think i might actually go with those over-sized ebrake shoes and caliper brackets.

i would really like to get the whole set on in one shot rather than running my stockers in the rear till DBA and kartboy come out with new rotors and brackets.

• 1 month later...

Hi Mickey

For some reason your email got sent to my junk mail folder by our server , I only got it today after searching for another email that I didnt get , so hopefully you should have a reply now , I dont know what size discs you have fitted as I think they maybe different to what is fitted over here in the UK , if you have a measure up , if you have the 266mm rear discs fitted then the kit we supply is suitable.

http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/Subaru/Rear/Rear_classic.htm

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=280071169872

Cheers Ian

Ian,

Thanks for your reply. I'm surprised you found this thread. Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a decent affordable STi rear brake solution so I went with a Racing Brake setup.

Your setup sounds like a good one. However, the USDM LGT rear brakes are 290 mm x 18 mm. I believe that the Outback uses 266 mm rear brakes and maybe the WRX. Do you have 290 mm rear brakes on a European Subaru? I was under the impression that the rear STi brackets work with both sizes? Not sure.

Posting your products on eBay would give US customers a chance to find them more easily. Can you edit your eBay auction to include US shipping charges?

Maybe someone with an Outback might want to try this.

Archived