LegacyGT.com

WRX to Forester XT or Legacy XT wagon?

Atroz

Hi,

I know it may seem a odd question, but I'm looking for experiences/recommendations for moving from a WRX to a new 'XT' model.

For medical reasons I need to move from Manual 2002 WRX wagon to an Automatic car. I can't get a Auto WRX in Canada, so I'm looking at the Forester XT and the Legacy XT Wagon.

I've spent the last couple months on this site learning lots about the Legacy, and have taken it for a couple test drives at the local dealer's. I like the car, but got wondering about the value of it vs the Forester. The Forester XT is about $4.5K cheaper and even comes with some things that the Legacy GT does not. E.g. Subwoofer, tinted windows. It also looses things like a gear and manual control in the transmission.

Of course the FXT is a small SUV, but is quite similar to my WRX, except taller. I'm wondering what the taller height means to the driving experience? How's a new FXT feel in comparision to my 5 year old WRX? How's the build/material quality of the FXT vs the LGT? Reviews on the FXT seem very favourable.

Thanks.

FXT and LGT are really different animials. One a shorter/smaller and higher SUV-type and the other a non-SUV more lux very sport-type wagon. Don't know about the FXT auto trans, but the LGT auto (as you know) has manual control available; I like that very much for going down steep hills.

Where in Canada?

Legacy, hands down.

Test drive both and I can't see how could you pick Forrester over Legacy. FXT handles like crap. Wobbles and wallows. Not as bad as Outback but close. In other words - huge SUCKS.

Legacy with stock suspension is not greatest handler, either, to be honest, but 100 times better than FXT/OBXT. The primary problem in Legacy GT suspension are underdamped struts/shocks and undersized rear sway bar. Both can be easily and rather inexpensively fixed - you'll get LGT with killer handling, way better than WRX.

If you're not into modding at least upgrade rear sway bar to JDM GT bar (costs less than $200). Search the board, you'll find lots of info.

Legacy build quality is very good IMHO. At least mine is nearly perfect, except one rattle, that was easily fixed.

Hi welcome to the site.

The FXT auto (at least pre 2007) was a dog. Auto on LGT is light years better.

In addition, the FXT rides much worse imho.

Do a search on here. You will find FXT owners who have switched to LGTs, and people who own both..

I had a look around here and at ForesterOwners site. I saw a couple threads on the 07's (both liked the FXT), but there's not much yet.

I'm still looking at biting the bullet and getting the LGT, even though it's going to cost me an extra $100 a month. Gotta be happy with what you buy.

$100 month is worth grin on your face every time you will drive your LGT! Go for it!

It's also a $100 a month that could go towards wheels, tires, lowering springs, etc. for the FXT.

What would $4500 do for a FXT? Hmm..

I switched from an 04 FXT 5 speed manual to an 05 Outback XT 5EAT - the FXT was much louder on the highway, not nearly as refined all around. But it was quick as hell bone stock up to 80 or so, I do miss that sometimes :)

The main reason I switched was I wanted something better on the highway, I was driving close to 30k a year at the time. The OBXT is far better at that, along with stop & go traffic for that matter.

Drive both, they are very different - the FXT is the same basic chassis as your WRX, just raised up with a different body & suspension tuning.

Are you asking about Legacy GT or Outback XT?

LGT vs. FXT is apples to oranges. It is a car vs. SUV-wannabe comparision.

Why FXT? Are you going to take advantage of the ground clearnace? If not, get LGT or just Impreza but auto.

Unless you have subconcious desire for SUV-wanna be. Then go ahead buy it like the poster above who bought OBXT to drive 30k miles a year on highways! :rolleyes: Brett S must drive on really poor highways to need an Outback.

Are you asking about Legacy GT or Outback XT?

LGT vs. FXT is apples to oranges. It is a car vs. SUV-wannabe comparision.

Why FXT? Are you going to take advantage of the ground clearnace? If not, get LGT or just Impreza but auto.

Unless you have subconcious desire for SUV-wanna be. Then go ahead buy it like the poster above who bought OBXT to drive 30k miles a year on highways! :rolleyes: Brett S must drive on really poor highways to need an Outback.

Oops, too much looking at the Forester XT, that should have been a Legacy GT in the first message.

I can't get an Impreza (WRX) as an Auto in Canada. I was looking at the Forester as a tall WRX with Auto. Maybe lowering it. I don't need the ground clearance.

I really don't want a SUV, but I could convince myself that the FXT is a tall roof wagon. ;)

I want to make sure that I'm making the right choice before signing on the dotted line in the next couple days. The LGT would be the most expensive car I've ever bought. I hate the price of cars. I also have to be happy with what I buy, even if it costs more. I'd hate not being happy even more than spending the money.

I'm pretty sure I'm going for the LGT, but just needed to get the FXT out of my system.

Have you considered importing from the US ? You can save as much as $10,000 that way, and possibly get an auto WRX.

I did look in to it. I don't want to go through the hassle with the purchase (traveling to the US, etc), wrong units on the dash (miles vs km) and then warrenty issues.

^^^ don't mind unclemat he's got anger management issues :lol:

seriously dude, people are allowed to have a differing opinion than yours.

Not everyone is looking for the same kind of ride that an LGT has. Many OBXT owners have said that the ride on the XT is more compliant..

C'mon, I don't deny anyone right to have their own opinion. Many OB buyers (check this board) hate the suspension. Unfortunatelly most car buyers are clueless and buy what's trendy - I bet majority of OB buyers belong to that category. Or they come unware from prev. generation OB, which handled much better.

OB suspension sucks so much, that it's dangerous. It's a fact, not opinion. Hence my strong dislike to OB. Forester is close second.

I wish the OBXT was a bit stiffer in the rear, but I definitely do not want LGT suspension - and purchasing it had nothing to do with being trendy. We don't all want the same things, amazingly enough...

It's hardly dangerous, neither is a Forester - it's just different.

Wasn't the Forester SUV of the year or something like that.

Yep. Car and Driver Best Small SUV of the Year.. 2004, 2005 and 2006.

Auto WRXs blow. 4speed non-manumatic FTL. The LGT auto is WAAAY better

Is the Pre-06 FXT auto tranny really that bad? What's SO horribly bad about it? Can you please articulate what it is that makes it a "dog"? I'm considering a 04-05 Forester XT Premium Package with an autobox. that is IF i can't find a suitably-priced and suitably-specced 05 Legacy GT Limited Wagon 5EAT...

If you call 0-60 in around 6.5 seconds a dog, sure - that's what the 04-05 FXT will do. In other words, very similar to the LGT with 5EAT...one less gear but a 4.444 rear diff.

Older WRX auto's did suck bad, in the pre 2.5 days - the larger motor has a bunch more low end torque.

Yep. Car and Driver Best Small SUV of the Year.. 2004, 2005 and 2006.

Is the Pre-06 FXT auto tranny really that bad? What's SO horribly bad about it? Can you please articulate what it is that makes it a "dog"? I'm considering a 04-05 Forester XT Premium Package with an autobox. that is IF i can't find a suitably-priced and suitably-specced 05 Legacy GT Limited Wagon 5EAT...

My dad has a 04 FXT Premuim Package w/auto trans and for him, it works out perfectly. I have driven it a few times on road trips, and I would have to say by no means is it a 'dog'. It's still got the 2.5, and has plenty of pickup.

Take it from the owner of 3 different turbo subies......you cant go wrong with whatever choice you make. :icon_wink

Thanks, Ben.

Yep, for a couple of years actually. Obviously, they didnt ask Unclemat 1st...

Like that means anything. Do you always buy what CR rate highly?

It was actually something that came to me attention after I bought my FXT. Thanks for asking...

Are you always so condescending?

Sorry, no offense was intended. Anyway I don't have much regard for consumer magazines rating/reviewing cars.

Archived