LegacyGT.com

XM Radio in 2005 Legacy

TurboLover

For those of you with new Subaru Legacys. Presently there is not an antenna adapter to allow a connection via the FM modulator. Let's hope companies are working on this problem. Pictures can be forwarded. I purchased a Roady 2 because of its compact size, the fact that it powers on and off with the vehicle's ignition and the built in FM wireless transmitter. I had the SkyFi installed in the same place only to find that it was interferring with the manual transmission option and you had to connect the seperate wireless transmitter to the ashtray that had to be open all the time. Circuit City in my town should be commended. The installer attached the antenna right below the windshield and ran the wire under the weather stripping into what appears to be a grommet for the clutch. The power adapter is connected to the outlet under the armrest. We used the supplied mount to attach the Roady 2 just below the shifer. Audio quality is acceptable. Although I will connect the SyFi's FM modulator when someone comes out with the anntena adapter. I will accept any alternative to AM/FM. I hope this helps.

mmm def, great news, I am going to have mine installed, what did they do to the Volvo adapter? The guys at circuit city said that should be the same as the FM modulator that comes with the car kit. Can you give me some details so I can pass it on to installers? Thanks....

From what I remember, the Suby adapter is has 2 ends and the volvo 1? or the other way around, either way, he ended up cutting one part and splicing it into the single adapter. Does this make sense? I'll try to call him and see if he remembers what he did.

Can we see some pics of what the installs look like. I have a Defi unit and all wiring including FM moduator that I took out if my WRX when I traded it in last night. I need to figure out where to place it and how to hook it up. Thanks

Thanks for the info mmm def. If you could call and post the info that would be great. I will be going down Wednesday or Thursday to have them install it. I wonder if the sat radio will fit in the open space where the nav goes in Japan. That would be a perfect spot for it.

I had an XM Commander unit (working off an FM Modulator) installed in the "sunglass" compartment in the center stack just under the dash...it is hidden so you don't even know it is there until you open the compartment. The antenna was installed on the rear deck under the rear windshield just below the brake light. Works well and works for me.....though the sound is not as good as it would be if it could be hooked in to the stock head unit had it had an aux input... Though, I believe there is a description of how to do something like that: [url]http://www.legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2936[/url]

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

[quote name='RoundBoy']will the roady 2 fit into the upper cargo cubby ? is there a reason why everyone is installing down by the shifter ?[/QUOTE] No, it is too wide to fit in the cubby. I installed mine on the console just above the heated seat controls using the adhesive mount.

[quote name='c_hunter']They just use a generic LCD panel for the display, but not all the features are enabled for the radio. Craig[/QUOTE] not yet, anyway. it should be available next year or the following

How is the quality of the sound while using the FM Transmitter? [quote name='Th3Franz']I plan on getting Sirius, which is better imo, eventually. Right now I can get a sweet tuner and the car kit for $50 and it's sooo tempting. I think it has a built-in FM transmitter.[/QUOTE]

Transmitters can be decent, but in my experience they suck. Part of that is due to the fact that I don't have any unused frequencies around here for the duration of my commute, so transmitters have to compete with radio stations. It would definitely be an issue if you were travelling long distance and stations were coming and going in different parts of the country. Craig

[quote name='c_hunter']Transmitters can be decent, but in my experience they suck. Part of that is due to the fact that I don't have any unused frequencies around here for the duration of my commute, so transmitters have to compete with radio stations. It would definitely be an issue if you were travelling long distance and stations were coming and going in different parts of the country. Craig[/QUOTE] I agree. The FM tansmitter degrades the sound. Centerpunch has a solution that I am planning to try: [url]http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2936&highlight=Centerpunch[/url]

05 SWP Legacy GT Limited (aka "Pearl")- 5MT AP - Stage 2 Protuned (238/284) - wife driven

07 BMW 335xi

I had an XM Radio "Commander" unit installed this past weekend. Here's some pics. The quality and fit of the install is very sweet. The quality of the sound through the "built in" FM modulator is far from ideal. The micro sat antennae sits on the front dashboard near the passenger side A-pillar. Reception seems to be fine but there is an audible hiss at low volume. Not what you expect for a "digital sound" system.

DSCN7252.JPG.3a80c0c5bfd30dcd90606a8c3e264b8a.JPG

DSCN7253.JPG.72c8260aa4b12d876f9b556eb7f773f5.JPG

DSCN7254.JPG.de7b68bff07e5b67715f9e0a84e517ae.JPG

DSCN7255.JPG.8c35d4394cdcba7c7ded8d08e7b15804.JPG

DSCN7256.JPG.b1dae1aff30543b20a3e8836be57d924.JPG

I have the XM Commander as well. There is no hiss and the sound quality is perfect. It sounds as good as the CD. I see your antenna is mounted inside the car. The antenna actually utilizes the car's body to amplify the signal when mounted outside. I tried it inside at first but the sounds was awfull. After I mounted it outside the reception was 10 times better. It would not cut our when going under trees and stuff as well. Does you receiver say direct in upper right hand corner? I looked at your pic and I did not see that. You do have to program the frequency as well, maybe you are off a couple of Hertz. Did you do it yourself or Pro install?

By the way here are some pics of my install, you can see the direct connection on the close up of the XM. [url="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4016"]http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4016[/url]

Excellent questions and observations. I had it professionally installed by "Al & Ed's Autosound" and pretty high-end outfit. They were putting in a $40 grand sound system into a way-over-the-top Honda S2000 at the time. Anyway, they did ask me whether I wanted the antennae dashtop mounted (inside) or roof mounted. I said dash mount just to avoid worrying about a wiring job going outside the car (through the window seal?) and potential rain/wind worries. They didn't say anything about potential signal/reception quality and hiss. I will look into the frequency thing tonight. I still need to read and learn the manual.

I went to Best Buy today and the sales guy in audio said that they will have a new Skifi unit coming in on Wednesday. He said that with the new unit you will be able to record and play back tracks (like Tivo) and it will be the same size at the Roady. Has anyone heard of this??

Archived