LegacyGT.com

New Forums...lose the "reputation" ranking!

Driver72

Okay, I've seen this on a couple other forums and I think it's not only silly, but childish and unnecessary. Having this "reputation" ranking by the name NEEDS to be removed from the new forums. The only thing this does is leads to name calling, degrading remarks and so forth. If a particular member continually starts flames or so forth, people will "learn" who this person is anyway. We don't need to be "judged" by moderators and administrators based on how they feel about a particular person. At another site, I have one of these "ranking" scores and was scored highly until I started to disagree with one of the moderators on several issues and spoke of another car in higher regard than the one the forum was targeting. No flaming or bad mouthing, just disagreements. Suddenly, I have a bad "ranking" score. That is absolutely silly and degrades our freedom of speech and individual opinions, and allows others to say, "ahh, look at that guy's ranking, he/she is an idiot and this and that." Hardly what we'd want to contribute to the betterment of a forum. Please remove that "reputation" section from the new forum!

Well, as I said, there are several other forums that use it. In my experience those forums are NOT NEARLY as good as this site. The people bicker a lot and god forbid someone has a differing opinion than a moderator. I think moderators are there to clean up foul language, erase out of control threads, and basically be an "editor" but I don't think they should be able to "grade" people on these forums based solely on how they feel. I also don't think others should "grade" people either. That just leads to vendetta "ratings" and allows someone to give someone else a low score simply because they don't like them or don't like something they said. We are all (well most) adults here. If someone comes on and continually badgers others, starts trouble and bad mouths all the time, we know who he/she is. The moderators can and should just erase those threads and leave it at that. We all have the right to express our views in an adult manner. But we shouldn't be graded for it by a select few. There was nothing wrong with how the 1 day old "old" forums were and everyone on here is pretty d@mn great. Let's keep it that way by eliminating the ability to rank members. Those reputation scores are just silly, it's like giving some a golden halo to walk around with and others a scarlet letter stitched to their backs.

Heh, np Driver72. I'm just curious as to how it will work here. Certainly if it becomes a problem it can be turned off. It's not used towards anything special at the moment, so it shouldn't be abused. Boxer, will check on attachment file size. Not sure what you mean '39 is a avatar'?

[quote name='Tide']Heh, np Driver72. I'm just curious as to how it will work here. Certainly if it becomes a problem it can be turned off. It's not used towards anything special at the moment, so it shouldn't be abused. Boxer, will check on attachment file size. Not sure what you mean '39 is a avatar'?[/QUOTE] 39kb or mb whichever it is. Thats like the max file size for the avatar isn't it????
OBAMA......One Big Ass Mistake America!

As long as nobody does anything to warrant any "reputation" commentary, I don't see any problem with it. It's like electricity. It's just there, and you don't think or worry about it. It isn't a question of "censorship," or impinging upon anyone's right to "express their views in an adult manner." As a matter of fact, as long as we express our views in an adult manner, which I construe to mean civility, common sense and never posting anything that you wouldn't say to someone's face, the "reputation" tab becomes something irrelevant, IMHO. The moderators here are well-chosen, I think, and nobody has exhibited the kind of behavior you reference, and have seen on other boards. On the board at its old space, there was bickering, flaming, and squabbling that made me nostalgic for the "good old days," when there weren't as many members, and quite literally, everyone was nice to each other. That isn't the case any longer, unfortunately. Kevin

We haven't set that up yet. Still working out bigger things at the moment. Don't worry we'll get back to it! [quote name='Th3Franz']I'm not sure about the ranking but I just realized I lost my special title. :([/QUOTE]

Yeah, any kind of scoring or ranking that's readily visible will lead to problems.. and yes, it's a little busy right now, probably because every post gets it's own little box, and the user info is huge compared to before. Neat and compact = good. edit, the vb theme is better, though not quite as compact as before.

Our default will still be tweaked over time. We'll also be happy to add more 'styles' as time (and budget) allow. Right now there will be 6 styles to choose from. I have 4 active. You can change your style at the bottom of page or in your User Control Panel.

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='Drift Monkey']On the up-side post counts are back. :p[/QUOTE] Oh noes!!!1 Teh post whoring will continue!

i think people have a problem in corerctly applying freedom of speech. This is essentially a 'private' forum.. The public is just allowed to register and parcicipate. The 'laws' of this forum are however Tide sees fit to make them... You do not have a 'right' to post here, nor do you have a 'right' to do whatever you want. If the mods so choose.. they could delete every post of yours just because... all becuase its THEIR FORUM. Many people forget themselves on the interweb

[quote name='RoundBoy']i think people have a problem in corerctly applying freedom of speech. This is essentially a 'private' forum.. The public is just allowed to register and parcicipate. The 'laws' of this forum are however Tide sees fit to make them... You do not have a 'right' to post here, nor do you have a 'right' to do whatever you want. If the mods so choose.. they could delete every post of yours just because... all becuase its THEIR FORUM. Many people forget themselves on the interweb[/QUOTE] Yes, but fortunately Tide is a just ruler always seeking the benefit of his subjects. Plus we pay him. :p

Archived