LegacyGT.com

Spec B vs. WRX - Suspension

VanillaEps

For those of you that have owned or driven a WRX, how does the stock suspension vary between the two? Although, the Spec B comes standard with a sport tuned suspension, the Spec B came in second to the Mazdaspeed 6 on a comparison performed by Edmunds.com. Incidentally, both cars were neck and neck, but the suspension proved to be the deciding factor.

How's the stock suspension on the Spec B? Edmunds mentioned that there is considerable body roll. Is that accurate?

stock spec B suspension is still very soft, floaty and has quite a bit of roll

i lowered the car with springs and upgraded sways front and rear and improved the ride quite a bit.

i think the spec B has the good foundation for a good suspension setup but it not good enough on its own.

Ed

dont believe in magazines, you should just go out and test drive both cars and you can make your own comparison.

I like both, they each have their own points. You can't just focus on the suspension aspect as the rest of the car also matters such as:

Power output that allows the driver to make changes in the weight transfer of the traction

Braking characteristics to allow weight transfer

Difference in tires and tire sizes

Weight of the overall of car

Suspension Alignments including wheel base and track widths of the car

Steering ratio

All this comes into play, but at that point in time, it really depends on which you like better: an apple or an orange.

Keefe

USDM Spec B Bilsteins while 10 times better then stock LGT KYBs are still on the comfort side. The dampers are identical to JDM GT Rev. C Bilsteins.

JDM SpecB Bilsteins are more aggressively damped. In conjuction with springs (e.g. STI Pinks) and upgraded sways they transform the car dramatically for that "like on rails" handling.

Either. :icon_bigg

Interesting. I'm really leaning toward the Spec B as its a few thousand dollars cheaper and bit more on the performance side, than the A4. In addition, loads more reliable. However, everytime I mention to my gf that I am leaning towards the Spec B, her reply is, "Its not an Audi. :(" She seems to be hooked onto the name and status symbol of the Audi.

I know I shouldn't care all that much as I am the one who's going to be driving it, but it would be nice if she agreed.... :wub:

Interesting. I'm really leaning toward the Spec B as its a few thousand dollars cheaper and bit more on the performance side, than the A4. In addition, loads more reliable. However, everytime I mention to my gf that I am leaning towards the Spec B, her reply is, "Its not an Audi. :(" She seems to be hooked onto the name and status symbol of the Audi.

I know I shouldn't care all that much as I am the one who's going to be driving it, but it would be nice if she agreed.... :wub:

You're the man of reason. And she, sorry, is silly, at best. If you buy Audi have her sign she will pick up repair costs out of warranty.

You'll smoke most of the Audis with stock power, nearly all at Stage II levels. You will look at Audi image in your rearview mirror. :lol:

Maybe I am from different camp, but I cringe when I read about guys here buying what their wives want, despite their stupid choices (SUVs, etc). But a gf? C'mon.

You're the man of reason. And she, sorry, is silly, at best. If you buy Audi have her sign she will pick up repair costs out of warranty.

You'll smoke most of the Audis with stock power, nearly all at Stage II levels. You will look at Audi image in your rearview mirror. :lol:

Maybe I am from different camp, but I cringe when I read about guys here buying what their wives want, despite their stupid choices (SUVs, etc). But a gf? C'mon.

She's never going to make the decision for me. It's a shame that she holds Audi's in such a high regard when the Legacy is just as nice inside and out.

She's never going to make the decision for me. It's a shame that she holds Audi's in such a high regard when the Legacy is just as nice inside and out.

I have an innie! No really, I wouldn't compare Audi's interior build quality to the LGTs. My LGT's fit and finish is 500% better than in my WRX but I wouldn't put it up against a german car. Mechanically I'm afraid, we've got them beat. This is OT but Nothing pisses me off more when non-quattro A4s try to race me in the pouring rain. Dumbasses. Don't be a snob, be a Subaru fan boy!

I have an innie! No really, I wouldn't compare Audi's interior build quality to the LGTs. My LGT's fit and finish is 500% better than in my WRX but I wouldn't put it up against a german car. Mechanically I'm afraid, we've got them beat. This is OT but Nothing pisses me off more when non-quattro A4s try to race me in the pouring rain. Dumbasses. Don't be a snob, be a Subaru fan boy!

The fit and finish may be better. But, what I'm trying to get at is that the Legacy comes standard with heated seats, climate control, navigation, 4 cup holders, mp3/aux in headunit, audio controls on steering wheel, and memory seats! All those goodies come as options on the Audi. And that drives the price of the Audi to nearly $40k.

I traded my '05 WRX (w/stock suspension) for an 06' Spec-B (w/stock suspension) so I think I have a good point of reference.

The WRX and Spec-B suspensions feel pretty similar. Sporty but not too firm......snooth but not too floaty. I would say a stock Legacy GT suspension is on the soft side......a WRX and Spec-B is in the middle....and an STi is on the stiff side. It's difficult to explain in words since everyone has a different opinion on what is soft and firm.

Glad to hear it.

I would be careful of marrying a chick who puts so much emphasis on status items even if they are not the best to get.

Or just tell her you could either save the money from buying the specB towards a ring, or get the A4.

She'll come around quite nicely, trust me :lol:

I don't blame her for her ignorance. She doesn't know much about cars. However, when she hears Audi, she does what most people do and say, "Ooooh." When she stepped inside the Spec B, she immediately said, we don't have to see an Audi, this is the car for you. All she needed was a little education and a show and tell session. ;)

The other day I was on I-90, and I came across an RS-4. Yes, that's the top-of-the-line $66k A4 with a 420 hp V8. I have to tell you .. it didn't really impress me that much. I mean, there was power in it (of course there was .. 420 hp!), but it just seemed a little .. underwhelming. I imagine if we'd been going 120 mph it would have seemed a little more .. something. But at normal speeds, it just didn't. Honestly, all it brought to mind was how much they overpayed for it. I'm glad you're getting the specB

Considering the thread surrounds suspension, glad to hear that the Spec B can be upgraded very inexpensively. Can anyone shed some light on this sports suspension that the Spec B possesses??

In addition to the upgraded struts some iron suspension parts have been replaced by lighter weight aluminum ones. The Spec.B suspension is pretty slick. My impression from my test drive is that it reacts more quickly than the LGT set up. Heavier sways if you want to autox it might be a thought.

Considering the thread surrounds suspension, glad to hear that the Spec B can be upgraded very inexpensively. Can anyone shed some light on this sports suspension that the Spec B possesses??

Generally three options for new struts/shocks:

1. used JDM SpecB Bilstiens take-offs - more aggressive than USDM (USDM SpecB = JDM GT)

2. Ohlins (not yet really available and very $$$$)

3. variety of coilovers

However the for USDM SpecB Bilsteins you should try springs (e.g. Pinks) and sway bars (Cusco, Swifts are best bet firment wise for both sway bars and OEM JDM rear rsb if upgrading the rear only). Most likely you will be very happy with the set up, unless you're looking for more sporty/aggressive ride for which stock Bilsteins may be underdamped.

Archived