LegacyGT.com

First Race

DODGE NEON SRT-4 pulls up next to me on a red light....we talked for 30 seconds before the light turned green. Said he modded his engine but all i heard was an exhaust and a blow off valve, don't know what was done under the hood. The kid told me he beat a evo the other night which is hard to believe but if it is true then i feel better. Light turns green, i beat him 1st, 2nd, and halfway through 3rd gear, then he gained on me and slowly pulled away. Both of us were driving good. DAMN do i hate the fact that a dodge beat me, but those are fast ass cars and weigh alot less. At first I thought the SRT-4 was a joke but it's gained respect from be on a speed basis plus the car was modded.

Those cars as fast as hell! But regardless of the fact that it beat you, his car was built to go fast. The Legacy on the other hand is a blend of performance and luxury :). Good to know that you beat him in first and second gear though. Moving this to the other cars forum where this thread belongs :D.
-ben

I raced a turbo neon awhile ago, posted about it on the forums as well. Kinda experienced the same thing as you, 1st and 2nd were pretty much even, but at 3rd they just pull. I was pretty sure his neon was moddified too, and he was quite surprised I kept up that well. Anyways, just wait for Stage 1 to come around so we can get or full boost back in 1st and 2nd, then it will be a different story.

[quote name='gtguy']Oh. I thought you meant actual race, where it was sanctioned, and you had a number, and you were at the track. You know...that kind. Kevin[/QUOTE] Next week I'm going to roll past the 1,000 mile break in on my car. You are going to really detest me then! Hehehe... (although I will be doing a "sanctioned race" down a 1/4 mile strip next Friday night)

[quote name='Whitestar Pilot']Next week I'm going to roll past the 1,000 mile break in on my car. You are going to really detest me then! Hehehe... (although I will be doing a "sanctioned race" down a 1/4 mile strip next Friday night)[/QUOTE] "Detest" is way too strong a word. I do, however, think that street racing of any kind is dangerous and irresponsible. In my ideal world, the Legacy GT would have gotten about 215hp, and no turbo. Then it would remain a "grownup car," without all of the street racing, cat pulling and assorted stuff that made being associated with the WRX crowd (via ownership of a WRX wagon) so tiresome. Everyone makes their own choices. Kevin

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='gtguy']"Detest" is way too strong a word. I do, however, think that street racing of any kind is dangerous and irresponsible. In my ideal world, the Legacy GT would have gotten about 215hp, and no turbo. Then it would remain a "grownup car," without all of the street racing, cat pulling and assorted stuff that made being associated with the WRX crowd (via ownership of a WRX wagon) so tiresome. Everyone makes their own choices. Kevin[/QUOTE] Wow- that's a really interesting point of view! I'm very surprised to see that someone feels that way.

[quote name='gtguy'] In my ideal world, the Legacy GT would have gotten about 215hp, and no turbo. Then it would remain a "grownup car," without all of the street racing, cat pulling and assorted stuff that made being associated with the WRX crowd (via ownership of a WRX wagon) so tiresome.[/QUOTE] So S4s, M3/5s, and other cars should be de-tuned as well? People still want performance, even without all the stuff that goes on in these forums. 90% of the people that buy the Legacy will not do anything to it. It's the 10% that takes the modding plunge. What's wrong with the WRX crowd? For the most part, they are very nice people. There's always going to be "bad apples." And I don't want a grownup car ;)

[quote name='liquidiq']So S4s, M3/5s, and other cars should be de-tuned as well? People still want performance, even without all the stuff that goes on in these forums. 90% of the people that buy the Legacy will not do anything to it. It's the 10% that takes the modding plunge. What's wrong with the WRX crowd? For the most part, they are very nice people. There's always going to be "bad apples." And I don't want a grownup car ;)[/QUOTE] You're missing my point. S4s exist in and of themselves. Ditto for M3s, M5s, etc. You don't hear people talking about those cars having a "detuned" engine from some other car, as you do with the Legacy, and that there is a magic "key" waiting to unlock the real power in the motor. People can have performance, without the extraneous stuff that goes with it, IMHO. And it's no secret that I am a firm beleiver in understanding what you have and reaching the potential of what you have, before altering it. Most message boards generate a feeling of fundamental inadequacy, that "Well, this car will be good once I..." that I just don't believe in. If the car wasn't good, why did people buy it? The WRX crowd is, for the most part, as they participate on message boards, rather adolescent. And I don't think this because they don't hold the same views as I do. Diversity of opinion is what makes the world interesting. But the contentiousness, misguided modding and other stuff that goes on makes me very happy to have gotten out of that group, by association. There's street racing, transmission breaking, "What springs will lower my car two inches," etc, etc that doesn't take into consideration what they have, and how it will work. As far as my "desire" that the Legacy had less hp from a normally-aspirated motor (I would have bought an H6, manual-transmissioned GT quite happily), that is a simple one. At, say, 215hp, people aren't "only" 50 hp/tq away from an STi. No turbo means no bigger turbo, boost controllers, or any of the other "more, more, more" quest that, as I said earlier, I admit to not understanding. It's fine if, as you said, you "Don't want a grownup car," but when that car becomes tainted by association, the people who do want a grownup car, having bought a Legacy, suddenly don't have one. And it isn't just perception. People get pulled over by police, for example, because of perceptions spawned by the behavior of a particular car's ownership demographic and misbehaviors thereof. I had some luck in that the WRX wagon never quite got the reputation of the WRX sedan. But still, many were the occasions when people would see the car and hood scoop, and start driving like an idiot all of a sudden, as if every WRX driver wants to race. Then again, another aspect of my ideal world would be $5 per gallon gas, so what do it know? Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']You're missing my point. S4s exist in and of themselves. Ditto for M3s, M5s, etc. You don't hear people talking about those cars having a "detuned" engine from some other car, as you do with the Legacy, and that there is a magic "key" waiting to unlock the real power in the motor.[/QUOTE] When the B5 S4 came to the US, it was a "detuned" version of the Euro. People knew it's potential because of what it had under the hood, and many bought it knowing they could get 300HP out with just a chip. Others bought the car and kept it stock and didn't think twice about it. The LGT in stock form is great, but knowing that potential lies beneith is just far too tempting to leave alone. If the LGT didn't have any upward mobility, I most likely would not have gotten it.

Guest *Jedimaster*
This is killing me. :lol: Kevin, I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but I'd assumed you were a bit older than most of us and maybe from a musclecar background- modding in the WRX community is shit because you have so many kids with them, just going for a look or what will give the car more power when the driver can't handle what the car came with. I think most of us who have Legacy's don't miss the WRX or the juvenile crew (or the messgae boards, for that matter). I like that my new car is comfy and powerful. I also like that it seems to have the potential to unlock even more power. One thing I do agree with you on is it's a bit tiring to hear people talk about how these cars look good, but would look better "with a drop", or "get rid of that wheel gap". That shit just cracks me up! Too much like the WRX knuckleheads ( which I used to be, now I'm an Outback knucklehead).

[quote name='gtguy'] I had some luck in that the WRX wagon never quite got the reputation of the WRX sedan. But still, many were the occasions when people would see the car and hood scoop, and start driving like an idiot all of a sudden, as if every WRX driver wants to race. [/QUOTE] I totally understand. This happened to me many times in my Trans Am. I really hate the idiots who think its cool to weeve in and out of traffic thinking they are racing, or the ones that like to do the fly-by after you've hit the brakes. Dangerous and irresponsible indeed. Personally I just like to do short quick bursts in a straight line, taking off at the same time as a rival car, to simply test which car performs better. Its fun, but not totally safe, and I understand the risks. Also, the Legacy GT is a super car on its own. But I really would like to have a 13-second sedan. That's why I'm probably going to mod the exhaust and maybe pull out the cash for an ECU reflash.

Jedi - He is ancient, but no muscle car background :) (If you knew him you would be laughing too). Also, my S4 was slower with a chip than without, but that's an entirely different story :) Back to the madness. Will 20 inch wheels make the HUGE wheel gap on my Legacy smaller? :rolleyes:

[quote name='rao']Jedi - He is ancient, but no muscle car background :) (If you knew him you would be laughing too). Also, my S4 was slower with a chip than without, but that's an entirely different story :) Back to the madness. Will 20 inch wheels make the HUGE wheel gap on my Legacy smaller? :rolleyes:[/QUOTE] I got your "ancient" right here, rao. And no, I have no muscle car background, 'tis true. I'll be 43 next month, though in curmudgeon years I am far, far older. I also admit to realizing that drivers have far, far more potential for greater speed than any car, something that will never change, so I'll just sit here in my corner, muttering and drooling, thank you very much. :D Kevin

Guest *Jedimaster*
[quote name='gtguy']I got your "ancient" right here, rao. And no, I have no muscle car background, 'tis true. I'll be 43 next month, though in curmudgeon years I am far, far older. I also admit to realizing that drivers have far, far more potential for greater speed than any car, something that will never change, so I'll just sit here in my corner, muttering and drooling, thank you very much. :D Kevin[/QUOTE] Only 43 Kevin? I imagined you quite a bit older than that from the way that you post- you offense meant here, or on the older comment- you either get older or you get dead.

[quote name='jedimaster']Only 43 Kevin? I imagined you quite a bit older than that from the way that you post- you offense meant here, or on the older comment- you either get older or you get dead.[/QUOTE] As I wrote, in curmudgeon years, a valid chronological determinant, I am far older than 43. :D Kevin

Street Racing... :rolleyes: I bet the kid would be suprised if you had 3 other hot girls in the car WITHOUT having them to manually roll down the window.. oh yea, dont forget, get some engine management and I am pretty sure he wont gain on you then if that's what you want. Keefe
Keefe

[quote name='Xenonk']Street Racing... :rolleyes: I bet the kid would be suprised if you had 3 other hot girls in the car WITHOUT having them to manually roll down the window.. oh yea, dont forget, get some engine management and I am pretty sure he wont gain on you then if that's what you want. Keefe[/QUOTE] If there are three comely maidens sharing your chariot, the qualities of your manhood are no longer in question, making street racing even more unnecessary. :D Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']If there are three comely maidens sharing your chariot, the qualities of your manhood are no longer in question, making street racing even more unnecessary. :D Kevin[/QUOTE] Unless you are driving around looking to race Neons, in which case it would most definately be in question. :eek:

Archived