LegacyGT.com

15,000 mile checkup

Replace the brake, transmission, and differential fluid?

:confused:

What?

What you guys are failing to notice in my original post is that we follow the Severe Service Schedule as recomended by the manual for several reasons including; Florida's climate (very hot & humid), our traffic conditions (very crowded stop & go) and our location near the coast.

Please remember, these are only our recomendations based on the conditions and failures we routinely see. If the customer wants us to perform only the minimum services we would certainly do that for them.

I asked my service writer about an alignment at the 15k service, and he looked at me like I was green. "Are you having a problem, tire wear or pulling, something like that?" "No," I said. "Then why do you want an alignment?"

So I felt stupid but good because he could have had my money right there but doesnt think you need an alignment unless you're having problems. Good to go.

I would do alignment at least once a year, preferably twice. I'll be doing mine like every 10k miles. Won't hurt. Stupid pothole can send your alignment out of whack.

Firestone lifetime free alignment rocks... just tip (like $20) the tech since they get paid 50% for the lifetime alignment work.

Every 6 months or so I take in one or more cars for portering (detailing).

Is there something I can ask the tech that will get me something special (maybe) and impress him that I know what I'm talking about. Maybe a certain type of sealer or wax or buffing pad.

Appreciate any advice. :icon_wink

Every 6 months or so I take in one or more cars for portering (detailing).

Is there something I can ask the tech that will get me something special (maybe) and impress him that I know what I'm talking about. Maybe a certain type of sealer or wax or buffing pad.

Appreciate any advice. :icon_wink

LOL you loser. :icon_mrgr Ask him what he thinks about a combination of 3M imperial hand glaze and following that with a coat or two of One Grand blitz wax.

He'll either say thats what I use or he will tell you how what he does is better - because afaik you don't get better bang for you buck than that.

Actually ask him a question for me: "Do you think the better durability of meguiars #26 yellow is worth the lower gloss compared to One Grand Blitz Wax?"

Let me know what he says - Im interested.

• 2 months later...
As pointed out, 15k service is an oil change, tire pressure check and rotation, and fluid level check. What does "inspect" mean? Shine a flashlight and look for leaks? Bounce on bumper and note appropriate shock rebound? Tug on muffler? Have I just noted $250 worth of 'inspection' services??

Yea.. The dealer I go to does the same thing. I posted their recommended service here.

I've scheduled the maintenance already, but I'm going to tell them I did all the inspections during the drive over.

There is no way I'm spending $250+ for an oil change, and don't get me started with the tire rotation.

Yeah, that's scam. I called my dealer about 15k service. I asked what does it invlove: oil change, tire rotation and air filter - $170. I said I just put winter tires, I replaced air filter... so what's left? "Oh, then it's just oil change". :spin:

Our 15k runs $225.00 and includes all the recomended services on Subaru's severe duty service schedule:

Oil & Filter Change

Tire Rotation

Replace Brake Fluid

Replace Transmission Fluid

Replace Front & Rear Differential Fluid

Clean & Adjust Parking Brake

Scan On-Board Computer

Inspect tires, hoses, belts, battery, steering, suspension, brake linings & components, fuel system & lines, axle shafts & boots, wipers, lights, horn, door locks & air filter.

That's weird, that's what my dealer does and charges. Oh wait. :icon_bigg

You guys make me :lol: .... don't throw your money away.

1.) Change your oil and filter ever 3K-5K miles.

2.) Rotate your tires every 7k-10k miles.

3.) Lubricate your chassis (ball joints, tie rod ends, etc) at scheduled intervals.

4.) An alignment every few years is more than adequate unless you get uneven tire wear. Every year of every 6 mo. is a waste of money.

5.) Perform your 30K, 60K, etc. religiously .. (you can do it yourself MUCH cheaper).... take some initiative and try it. ... its not that hard.

6.) Keep your engine bay and undercarrage clean and free of oil, grease, contaminants, and salt. A clean engine is a happy engine... and it will help you identify problems (leaks, etc).

7.) Keep an eye on your CV boots. I recommend inspecting them all (8 of them) every 15K miles at a minimum.

8.) Keep up on your fluid changes, filter changes, timing belt, plug changes, etc. ... as per suggested in the manual.

Simple maintenance is easy... This board can be a great resource to learn how to service your own car. You can save some money, learn more about your ride, and feel good that the job was done right.

So, follow these steps, have fun... and enjoy the extra mod money in your pocket. ;)

Our 15k runs $225.00 and includes all the recomended services on Subaru's severe duty service schedule:

Oil & Filter Change

Tire Rotation

Replace Brake Fluid

Replace Transmission Fluid

Replace Front & Rear Differential Fluid

Clean & Adjust Parking Brake

Scan On-Board Computer

Inspect tires, hoses, belts, battery, steering, suspension, brake linings & components, fuel system & lines, axle shafts & boots, wipers, lights, horn, door locks & air filter.

I'll tell you what though......if I could actually get all that done for $225.00, I would be getting it done every year.

• 3 weeks later...
it seems like it depends on the dealership too. Some Subaru dealerships will throw in some freebies on your service, depending on staff and if possibly, if you know someone at the dealership. But it seems $200-300 is the range for 15k service...

• 2 weeks later...

For those interested in what I got from Carr Subaru (biggest PacNW Subbie Dealership) here's what they "suggest":

Oil Change : $33.95

Suspension Service : $89.95

-Inspect Steering and Suspension / 4 Wheel Alignment, check camber-caster toe / inspect adjust & RD test

Automatic Tranny Service : $62.95

Brake Inspection

-Inspect Brakes, rotate tires, adjust parking brake

Hydraulic Clutch Inspection $28.95

-Inspect and gravity bleed hydraulic clutch system

Replace Air Fitler $39.95

Fuel Additive : $6.95

-------------------------------

Total w/o Labor : $308.65

For us Auto owners, I think getting the ATF service @ 15k is actually worth while. I'm planning on getting the following done next oil change:

Alignment / Rotated tires: $60

AFT Flush/Service : $63

Oil Change : $30

---------------------

Total w/ Labor I'm going to push for $160

Also thinking of throwing the OEM sub install in as well as the OEM mudflaps but we'll see. :D :D

• 2 months later...
Hmm I'm thinking about just bringing a list of what needs to be done at 15k to a local shop my dad uses. I am sure they would do a better job and for cheaper :)

Archived